Newbie Question: Are Fursuit Heads Fragile?

Discussion in 'Fursuiting & Costuming' started by Belatucadros, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Incredibly Customized Title

Hi all, I would like to get a head eventually but I had to wonder: Aren't these heads fragile? These things are only made of foam or cast resin, so I see how one could get crushed or deformed very easily. And we all know they are ungodly expensive... Any thoughts from you guys are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. MT45

MT45 Just Another Fox

I don't own a head yet, but I have mine in the works. From what my maker can tell me, yes, they are typically the most fragile piece of a fursuit. However, the foam based heads can be relatively forgiving. Granted, smashing them down into a pancake won't be good for them, but a few bumps here and there won't hurt much.

Kirkzer and Belatucadros like this.
  3. Philosophy Felidae

Philosophy Felidae An eternal novice

I'm not an expert builder, but personally I say treat a foam fursuit head as you would treat a stuffed animal you loved very much. You don't want to rough it too much, but they're sturdy enough that they won't break easily. The foam it's composed of is quite durable and forgiving; though most heads are made of foam and hot glue, providing a somewhat fragile seam. The ears and muzzle are pieces whose attachment to the head usually relies almost completely on hot glue, so some makers recommend you not carry them or grab them by the ear or nose. All heads are different and will vary in fragility and materials, so I would ask whoever you commission upfront, but mostly I wouldn't fret too much.

Belatucadros likes this.
  4. HallowQueen

HallowQueen Candy is dandy~

hi, sugar!
    i make head from bot foam and resin, and the answer is both yet and no, foam is far more forgiving to rough treatment, but its fine details, like the seams around the eyes and teeth that are damaged more easily than the base, it is always good to be gentle, but not a huge deal. for resin, it depends of the quality and thickness of the resin part, resin is basically a high density plastic, so if you throw it or stuff like that, it could suffer damage, but it's more forgiving of roughness than it seems IF it's good resin. but being deformed at all is not likely, its a stubborn material once fully cured in it's chosen shape

Belatucadros likes this.
  5. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

I have built or helped build several suits. Like Hallow Queen above stated, it depends on the head. Some makers also stitch the fur together before putting it on the head, which makes it a lot tougher as far as seams are concerned. I don't know what you intend to do with the head, but I wouldn't play football in it. I have known some resin heads to crack. Most foam heads are more easily repaired. It also depends upon the jaw set and operation. Is it a cast, moveable jaw? The hinges can be subject to damage. You have to make your head with the thought in mind of how you plan to wear it. Foam heads tend to be lighter than resin heads and I would recommend them for dancing.