Next Password Reset?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by FluffyShutterbug, Apr 30, 2017.

1. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxay Femboi Photographer

I've noticed something on the login page that piqued my interest. It said on 5/22/16, all of the site's passwords were reset and stuff. Is this going to happen again some time in the future? Because if it will, I need to make sure that my password recovery stuff is working like it should.

2. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

The mass password reset was due to the site source code being leaked and some accounts compromised. Further info on that can be found at the link at the bottom of this post.

Unless the site experiences further issues of that magnitude, it is unlikely a mass-scale reset will take place. However advice would be to keep your email associated with your account(s) as up to date as possible, and never share the password between accounts.

Also, FA staff will never ask for your password, so do not give it.

Link to further info on the password reset: forums.furaffinity.net: An explanation of why some users cannot access their accounts (After May 2016)

3. FluffyShutterbug

Ah. Ok. And, since I didn't register until January of this year (as AlyssaKat), I didn't know about that security incident. I just assumed that it was normal operating procedure to force password changes every now and again.

4. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

FA only resets passwords like that in extreme circumstances. So it would be highly unlikely that another would be forced for a while. (But I would always keep in mind it might happen, you never know)

5. FluffyShutterbug

Right. If it happened before, it'd be ignorant to not expect it to happen again.

jayhusky likes this.