Nihilism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWolfy, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LoneWolfy

LoneWolfy is Emotional

What do you think about it? Anyone else is a nihilist here?

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Eh. Life is pretty much about procreation. For anything deeper you'll have to apply subjective crap to it.

3. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Hmm...

Well, the construct of value and meaning is/was created by humans.

So if you get up in the morning, eat, shit, sleep, and still survive, I'm not sure you could be a nihilist :D

The rest are petty trends usually.

aloveablebunny and Yakamaru like this.
  4. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

This might be my 'sona coming through, but a lack of belief in any meaning to existance (I hope I'm using correct definition of your term) sounds like floating in a vast sea without sail or paddle. There is a vast expanse to explore above, below and all around you, but no way to reach it. For me, it is better to walk a long and difficult path than to stand still. Better to try, even if failure is certain. Better to hope and have it dashed, than to never have it fill your heart. Better to die in a cause you feel is just than float endlessly without purpose.

The story of the starfish comes to mind. I cannot save them all, but I'll meet my end knowing I saved some. And that's enough for me.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  5. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

Ah but a nihilist believes there is no inherent meaning to life... so technically they are right because every meaning that exists was created by humans, and without them there is no meaning! #AstusJustSaidThat

Simo and -..Legacy..- like this.
  6. -..Legacy..-

That was my sarcastic point :D

Astusthefox likes this.
  7. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

I believe that life doesn't have an inherent meaning attached to it, but I believe that life is what you make it. My personal life goal is to live the happiest life I can and to try to enjoy my brief time here. Because once it's done, it's done.

8. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

#Truth

Enjoy the ride!

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  9. LoneWolfy

LoneWolfy is Emotional

I'll have to disagree. Suppose there a two groups. Group A procreates, group B does not. Everyone here obviously belongs to group A. Group B can only exist in theory, because of biological reasons. However if biology was different and humans did not need to procreate, suppose little humans grew on trees, the meaning of life would not be any different than it is now.

10. -..Legacy..-

Meaning doesn't have to include purpose, does it?

*cough* this planet has been cloning life for years *cough*

11. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

In my view, life and the universe does not have an inherent meaning. No matter what we do, in the grand scheme of things, we are but tiny specks. Our actions, regardless of if there is a soul or a spirit, has little chance of impacting the totality of existence. Because there is no inherent meaning, life in turn is meaningless. Because life is meaningless, it falls upon us to choose to wallow in despair at the futility of our lives, or to embrace that though our actions can be small, they can bring meaning into what is essentially a lonely existence.
    Because life is meaningless, our actions can bring meaning into it, if we so choose. That, to me, at least, makes it all worth it.

12. Diretooth

I guess I feel it necessary to expand upon what I said prior. As I am writing this directly after my previous post, keep in mind that this is not a response to any posts that may crop up in the time it took to write this.
    To ascribe to myself the moniker of nihilist or anti-nihilist, which the latter is more akin to the former, given that the general consensus of nihilism boils down to, 'life is short, we're going to die, so fuck the world.' The entire concept of existentialism, of which nihilism is part of, if not the basis for, is seeing and recognizing the sheer absurdity that is existence, our existence in particular, when compared to the vastness of the totality of the universe and all that may lie beyond. It is in this that one understands and recognizes the futility that is life, not in the sense that life is meaningless and should end, but that our worries, our desires, our fears and hopes, all is meaningless when compared to the sheer vastness of what we know and understand, let alone what we will never experience within our comparatively short life times.
    Those who feel despair at this prospect, the stereotypical nihilist, act only within their self-interest at best, and at worst, seek to end the collective meaninglessness of existence. Those who see this and react not with despair or dread instead see something beyond their comparatively petty problems, they see something so vast that the chances of them being alive to witness it is so infinitesimally small, that their existence alone could be considered a miracle in and of itself. They react with the realization that though their life, and by extension, the lives of other people, is meaningless, to look upon these wonders and see something worth living for becomes all the sweeter.
    Stanley Kubrick once said, 'The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. But if we can come to terms with this indifference, then our existence as a species can have genuine meaning. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.'
    Life is meaningless, and thus we through our actions make it meaningful. The random chance, or blatant divine intervention, that is our existence on a speck of stardust, is not simply loneliness in a void, our actions, no matter how temporary, no matter how needlessly cruel or wonderfully pure, is our cry into an endless night that we exist, that we have existed, no matter how temporary it is.

Yakamaru, Open_Mind and -..Legacy..- like this.
  13. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

The meaning of life is to basically have kids to continue your genetic heritage. However, you're free to not have kids. Just don't expect others to feel or think the same way.

14. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Nope, can't say I am one. If I were I'd never find reason to do anything meaningful and be happy.

15. LoneWolfy

LoneWolfy is Emotional

Also how do fellow nihilists differentiate between good and bad if nothing has inherited meaning? Is murdering bad? I does feel so, but so does standing on the edge of the cliff.

16. Diretooth

That depends on how you value morality, or how you value life itself. If you ascribe to the idea that doing 'good, in preserving life or giving to someone a meaningful-to-them object or interaction, gives you satisfaction, then doing 'good' is meaningful. Similarly, if you ascribe to the idea that doing 'bad', in which you destroy or otherwise render null the works or actions of others, gives you satisfaction, then doing 'bad' is meaningful.
    I act in a way that presumes all life is inherently sacred, but that does not mean I must revere or protect life. If a living thing suffers, and its suffering can only be ended by me ending that life, then I respect the life enough to end its suffering if I have the means to do so without endangering my own or others lives. I believe that all living things have a spirit, and that this spirit does not simply fade away upon death, but is reborn in a new life. Thus, it gives me satisfaction to respect life, but I do not bind myself to the idea that destroying a living being is 'bad' or otherwise meaningless. 'Great harm can result from the best intentions.'
    I eat meat, meat is delicious, and is the only thing that satisfies my hunger when I am hungry. I thank the spirit of the animal whose meat sustains me, I give honor to it for its task in prolonging my life, and I try hard not to waste the food if I can help it. In honoring the spirit, if not an actual spirit, then the idea of the animal's life, I gain satisfaction, and I respect its sacrifice for my own sake. To me, seeing animals suffer in feed lots is 'evil', it causes undue suffering, which in turn causes suffering, and does not honor the spirit of the animals in the situation they are in. Because they are under stress, the meat also tastes disgusting to me. Therefore, it is more satisfying to obtain meat from animals that do not suffer. Their lives are lived happy and fulfilled within their perception, I am able to eat delicious meat, and I feel that the spirit of the animal is honored by their life.
    This all adds up to 'good'. When another makes it their mission to make me feel like a monster for eating meat, they intrude upon not only my honoring of the animal's life and spirit, they also intrude upon the bodily satisfaction of eating, as well as the spiritual satisfaction of feeling happy for a life well lived. This, in my mind, is a 'bad' action, as it serves no purpose except to demonize me.
    Murder falls into the category of 'evil' for me. If I kill a person because they own something I desire, I have put in the minimal amount of work to acquire what I desire, as well as having others wanting to take me and put me in a situation where I would be unable to enjoy what I had taken. If I work toward something I desire, put the work into obtaining it by my own merit, and then earn it, I am able to enjoy the object of my desire all the more.
    If I were to murder someone because I hated them, I would be removing them from life, and it would be a waste of life. Hatred is a strong emotion that I reserve only for those I feel do not deserve life, I have hated a person because I believed they caused someone to commit suicide when all they wanted was help surviving. Would I have killed them if I met them in person? I can't say, because it would depend on how I felt at that moment. Fortunately, the person did not kill themselves, and thus I do not hate the person anymore. Murder, for the sake of killing, is simply a waste of life, and it is a defilement of what I consider sacred enough to revere. It would be completely different, however, if a person was suffering from a terminal illness or would not survive and I ended their suffering.
    Everything in this particular post was written from the perspective of myself, but with my emotions, beliefs, and potential actions dissected and analyzed.

BahgDaddy and -..Legacy..- like this.
  17. silveredgreen

silveredgreen Determined Dragon

I personally believe in the life of the Christian faith and believe in heaven and hell so personally no, i can't say i'm of the same mindset. I believe my life does have a meaning and a purpose, even if its not a significant one.

Telnac likes this.
  18. DakaraiDragon

DakaraiDragon In the Court of the Crimson King

Being a nihilist doesn't necessarily warp or change morality. Life may not have a grander purpose, but I can still understand that murdering is wrong. Even if peoples' lives are meaningless, it's not my place to make that judgement. I take it in stride anyway, it makes me feel better to know that all my mistakes and wrong choices won't matter past my expiration date

Wolfrayne90 and -..Legacy..- like this.
  19. Mr. Fox

Consider this: if life and everything we do in it truly is pointless, we'd still be stuck in the stone age. It is our natural sense of curiosity and will to learn that gives life meaning and purpose. If it weren't for the sacrifices of those before us, we wouldn't have much to build off or have the quality of life we have now. Their life was not meaningless or pointless, and for their sacrifices, I thank them.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Scales42 and -..Legacy..- like this.
  20. Simo

Simo Skunk

The fox is correct!

Also, I'm reminded of that scene in the film, 'The Big Lebowski'

21. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Depends on your definition of nihilism. There's existential nihilism, moral nihilism, and a lot of other things that are called nihilism by wannabe nihilists, but in fact are not (absurdism or cosmicism, for example). Considering how broad and complex the topic actually is, in addition to just being a very touchy subject, I expect the cringiest posts in this thread :)

22. LoneWolfy

LoneWolfy is Emotional

How beautiful. It's actually our laziness and greed that propelled humanity to this shitty rat race we have today. People are depressed now more than they ever were before.

Shane McNair and Ramjet556 like this.
  23. Mr. Fox

That would imply humanity has never faced a worse time in history. Pretty sure the medieval era, even the world war era was quite depressing.

24. LoneWolfy

LoneWolfy is Emotional

Maybe. We will never know. Their lives were less comfortable than ours, no arguing about that, however easier life does not mean happier life.

25. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

I blame our corporate overlords. :p

BahgDaddy and Simo like this.