Non fur fursuits

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by Frostbyte The Shark, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Hey guys.

So, I happened across this a while back
    goo.gl: Image: 1145627 - artist:girlieginger, clothes, cosplay, costume, dragon ...
    And I was wondering on your thoughts about it.
    I feel like since I have a shark fursona, a suit made out of the same material could work well, since sharks don't have fur. It may be cheaper too.
    I also think getting a suit made in the same style could become a decent base for getting a full fursuit made in the future.

I don't see suits like this at all though, so perhaps there is a reason for that.

So, what do you think. Good idea? Bad idea?

2. crystallinecanine

crystallinecanine Sparkle Gosh

Thin stretchy fabrics are difficult to work with and the fabric shows all the little bumps of the base that you're attaching it to. Fur is bulky and covers up the bumps and crevices quite well, so it's easy to use. I don't know if there would be tons of makers that would know how to use spandex/lycra for a full body suit, but there might be one out there! I hope that you can find a good way to make your suit/ have it made. ^-^

Frostbyte The Shark likes this.
  3. Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I know there is one other costume I wanted to get made, but that was also probably going to be spandex/lycra so I wasn't sure how to do that.
    Thanks for the reply!

crystallinecanine likes this.
  4. crystallinecanine

crystallinecanine Sparkle Gosh

No problem~ ^^

5. MidnightDragon

MidnightDragon ∂єαтнℓєѕѕ|Active Member

I think for sea-life fursuits, there should be like very short fur you'd find on a stuffed animal/plushy because fur can look more fitting and sometimes make one's body figure look better (to themselves). The way you want your fursuit is all up to you though!

6. Aces

Aces Member

If you're thinking partials, may I suggest craft foam?
    Something like these shaping techniques: entropyhouse.com: Craft Foam Armor Tutorial

If your character has some different colorations you could probably hide the seams well. It *really* depends on the style though- could you post the kinds of heads and suits you like? Maybe we'll get ideas from there.

7. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

You know, I'm gonna say that blue shiny costume referenced above was made out of PVC coated stretch fabric of some kind. It was stitched together as evidenced by the seams.

Now, I would want to be in good physical shape to wear something like that because it will show every physical nuance of your body. If you're going to pad under something like that, you will need an undersuit, padding on top of that, then an oversuit of stretch material to 'shape' your body, then the costume. Did I mention you will probably get heat stroke in said costume?

Short fur has to be dense so as to not show the backing material. The Old Warhorse Ver 1.0 was made from Monterey Mills Brown Seal. It looked great and wore like iron but it had no air flow through the backing. Not good if you can't tolerate heat. I will allow for the fitment of a cooling vest for Ver 2.0