Open Chat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MEDS, Jul 4, 2016.

1. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

i would like to share something special

My grandfather is a WW2 vet and was apart of two major campaigns during WW2 he lied about his age and joined at 17 to be with his brother who was 5 years older though the sentiment was admirable they were sent to different regiments only meeting his brother once when his unit was sent to relive his brothers unit in another theatre of war

my grandfather has never talked a lot about the war he has only told me things recently since i began my own Military career and have been overseas since as he put it "you would understand what i went through now so i can finally talk about it"

most of his stories mostly from the pacific are not suitable for the forums so i'll leave it at that

My grandfather was always a keen sport shooter mostly with .22 pistols similar to the ones you see at the Olympics and even owned his own gun range but after the 1996 shootings and tighter restrictions came in place he had to sell most of his firearms he was always sore about this but he didn't have the money to keep all his weapons and buy the necessary permits and storage for them all but that he would like to go to a range again before he goes

months ago my friend told me that he had a Lithgow SMLE Enfield MK3 the Lithgow is important as it means it was a genuine Australian Enfield used in the war so inspired by a youtube video we decided to plan something for my grandfather which occurred today

i used told my grandfather that for his birthday i would take him to a friends property to fire a .22 which excited him enough but when he got there and saw an old service rifle still young like himself it was special he got teary and told us he needed a minute and just held it for a good 20 minutes feeling it staring at it shouldering it a couple times then my friend put some clips on the table beside him and he just LIT UP he looked up and said "this is for me?" we told him go for it

we were a little hesitant because he has early dementia and can't do things well but the way he handled that rifle made him look like he was still 17 he handled it better than my friend who owned it and was an even better marksman

but there was one more thing waiting for him at home and grandmother and i had found a photo of him in his uniform we decided to get a hold of one of my photos of me in our new ceremonial dress as its based off the WW2 uniform and make it sepia tone and frame them both together and hung it up

he had a special day which made me happy as he's expected to pass within the next couple years

even more special when you think my family has worn every single one of these uniforms except for the Kiwi ones

MsRavage and Alstren like this.
  2. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

^ Awww thats so sweet

3. GigaBit

GigaBit A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.

That's so cool you did this for him!

4. Junkerfox

Junkerfox Bacon gives me a Lard on

Yay the rain finally came again! 20170802_153245.jpg

Alstren likes this.
  5. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Huzzah!.... Now if only British Colombia could stop being on fire

Junkerfox likes this.
  6. It'sBlitz

It'sBlitz Pilot in training

Just imagine the "This is fine" dog

Alstren and Junkerfox like this.
  7. GreenZone

meanwhile in Australia every summer
    [​IMG]

i like how the fire truck is like "nah fuck that shit floor it!!!"

modfox, Alstren and It'sBlitz like this.
  8. SOOOOO Its been a while and ive been busy with things and Im finally 16 and Im being given a acer inspire x1200

9. GigaBit

Welcome back!

The computer sounds pretty sweet.
    The first time somebody gave me a computer I got one of these:
    [​IMG]
    and it had a totally screwed copy of Windows XP on it.
    I still have it... it doesn't work anymore...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Dongding likes this.
  10. GigaBit

My latest favorite song:

11. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Guest

12. GreenZone

oh man i could be mean and post my build i finished two weeks ago but i wont

also i deleted this before asking if i should get it but deleted it any way i got this on the way from home its now my most favorite clothing item
    [​IMG]

light tear drop likes this.
  13. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

(Mean while in Iceland)
    [​IMG] typical day in iceland

Ravofox likes this.
  14. GreenZone

let the war begin...

beat this
    [​IMG]

Yakamaru and modfox like this.
  15. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

have you bothered to look at my current location? M8 FUCKING NSW! UPPER HUNTER

16. Ravofox

Ravofox And a few other fursonas as well

So many Aussies!:D

17. GreenZone

NSW is the devil cause it has Wagga Wagga, Singleton, and kinda Majura

18. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Mein Gott

...There's no kangaroo here. This photo is a lie.

19. GreenZone

that's probably racist or something

is this better?
    [​IMG]

Yakamaru likes this.
  20. Rystren

Rystren Call me FLUuFFFFEH

*faceplants*

Ravofox likes this.