Opinions on bronies??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Paprika, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

It's only that: Looks.

It's like the graphics of a game. It doesn't help with super graphics if the plot/story is utter garbage and the music they play is just a jargled mess.

2. lyar

lyar Its not the human race, its just the human race

The music was one of the things I was skeptical about.

Yakamaru likes this.
  3. Yakamaru

Ah. Well, if you are interested I can link you some good songs/sountracks, if you don't mind there being ponies.

4. lyar

lyar Its not the human race, its just the human race

I'll pass but thanks for the offer.

Yakamaru likes this.
  5. x_eleven

x_eleven Member

Just because MLP was a "girls'" show doesn't mean boys didn't watch it. They just didn't admit it if they did.

Yakamaru likes this.
  6. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Sometimes it's not even a matter of experiencing it for yourself. Chances are that there's at least one piece of media that you know about quite well, despite having only ever indulged in it from second-hand sources like friends or family. What especially comes to mind are the shows that came out in the 80s, where a boy of that time period could know quite a bit about Gem and the Holograms without having ever watched a full episode, and a girl would likewise have similarly understood what a "boys" show like He-Man was about.

MLP is no different; I can tell you that, despite not having any interest in the franchise and having not watched a single episode of it, I'm familiar enough with it to know who the current characters are and what their personalities are like. I'd say that that's a success on the part of the franchise's... handlers, so to speak, if they can have its fans be able to accurately reproduce that characterization in their own works, but at the same time that success comes on the coattails of many people, who are not accustomed to MLP, feeling as if bronies are the next online horde of Mongol invaders since the Furry Fandom.

Yakamaru likes this.
  7. pidge

pidge Member

-The voice acting is ok. Most the voice actors talk in that happy high pitch voice that's typical of children's show. I thought its was kind of annoying myself.
    -The characters aren't that relatable to older people. Fictional characters become relatable when we see them go through the same struggles we go through. For example in su, we see one of the characters, Amethyst, struggle with self hatred. That's something that lots of people, teenagers in particular, understand. As for mlp, the characters don't have very many struggles and the ones they do have apply more to young children that adults.
    -I don't remember one song from mlp that I thought was very good. The music isn't bad, but it just sounds like typical kids music, simple beats, a super happy tone, that kind of stuff.
    -Humor is subjective, I didn't think it was very funny. Most the jokes are very silly. Silly humor may have been funny to me as a kid but not anymore.
    -As for its lesson on the importance of family and friends, that's stuff I and most adults already know. It isn't teaching anything, just reiterating basic values.

I mean if your able to enjoy it anyways, that's great, but imo it's not that enjoyable, to me it was just a simple kids show.

AustinB, ChapterAquila92 and Yakamaru like this.
  8. Yakamaru

Yeah. Each to their own.

Likes and dislikes, humor and being able to relate are 100% based on the individual.

Some things are cringy, but it shouldn't be hard to just ignore it if it doesn't interest people.

9. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Off the top of my head, the most obvious example that comes to mind (could also fall under "lessons" tbh) would be how in one episode Rarity goes to make dresses for all her friends, for free, just to have them step on her creative vision and run the gamut of problematic commissioner behavior. The finer nuances of this would go over most kids' heads, but most adults, and especially artists who've done any kind of custom/personalized work, should be able to relate to this.

There's also a recurring theme of Twilight Sparkle worrying about finding her place in the world. Not fitting in is a struggle that has no age, though like self-hatred, may be particularly relevant for teenagers.

Honestly, there's quite a variety in the music. Some of it is happy and peppy, but far from all. I mean... this is hardly what I'd call typical kids' music:

Like Yakamaru said, to each their own. I honestly found SU to be a harder sell for me than MLP, because the tone for much of the show up until about Jailbreak is... I don't know what to describe it as. There's some gag humor and randomness there, along with frequent shifts in apparent theme, that I wasn't sure how I felt about.

brian577 and Yakamaru like this.
  10. Yakamaru

^ Exactly like quoting_mungo-chan said.

There are things in the show that perhaps only adults will understand, and if it's a bit of a specific topic like the one with Rarity about doing dresses for free, for the most part only the ones who are working/have worked in the field will understand and/or be able to relate to it. There's plenty of such episodes that go into specific areas.

Like, dislike, love or even hate the show, it's up to you.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Sarachaga likes this.
  11. Paprika

Paprika Member

I can't exactly seem to get around to like it. Kind of would be the same thing as me saying that I like watching Dora the Explorer because of the plot

lyar likes this.
  12. pidge

pidge Member

For the first example you give, I don't think your giving kids enough credit by saying that moment would go over their heads, Rarity basically wanted things to go her way and was upset when things turned out differently than she wanted. That's something that lots of kids could relate to.

As for that song, well, it kind of does sound like typical kids music. Not like a nursery song or something intended for toddlers, but like a song you would hear in a direct to DVD princess movie.

I understand if you don't like su, I just used that as an example, su definitely isn't the pinnacle of writing, but it has its moments. One reason I was able to enjoy su was because I got into it when it first started airing, before the fandom had time to develop. My expectations weren't that high. MLP was completely deferent. Everyone had hyped it up as being really well written and deep for a cartoon, so when I watched it, I expected something wooed, but it was just ok, something that I probably would have enjoyed 10 years ago, but not now. I love cartoons, and I love it when cartoons beyond what is typical for the genre, but unfortunately mlp doesn't do this.

And I'm not trashing on the show to upset fans, I wanted mlp to be as good as every one said it was, but it wasn't and that's unfortunate.

13. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

That's quite possibly the manner a child would relate to the situation, but adults who've worked in customer service, and particularly artists who've experience with bad commissioners, would find the situation relatable in a different way entirely. I know that episode was making the rounds when it first aired because artists were holding it up as an example of "this is how not to treat your artists". The ways in which Rarity's friends act are all in-character, but each mirror a different type of problem customer, many of which commission artists will recognize from their own customers.

Not the definition I'd garnered from your previous post, to be perfectly honest. But even then, I'd tend to disagree; even sad or feels-y songs in most children's media will be written to be "singable" (that's the best word I can think of for it - basically songs kids can learn and sing along with or sing on their own away from the TV), which that one isn't really.

One of my personal favorite cool things done with music in the show is with the song "This Day Aria", which is in essence a huge musical pun, as it's sung by Princess Cadence and Queen Chrysalis disguised as Cadence. It's arguably kind of metahumor, but it's really cool and definitely not aimed at the show's primary target audience.

Sounds like you may have gone in with unreasonably high expectations, but I can understand how expectations can ruin first impressions. To me FiM feels like a (mostly, there are some episodes that are more miss than hit) well-written, solid show, that manages to work in its lessons reasonably subtly. Yes, they're explicit lessons, but without beating you over the head with the moral of the story as some lesser examples of children's cartoons will.

14. strawvery

strawvery New Member

I am a brony. Well, to an extent. I don't want to be "I'm not that guy," but you won't see me visiting their conventions or wearing tee shirts. I just watch the show. Huge bronies are really cringeworthy. I don't mind watching some MLP: FIM themed channels, however, like LittleshyFIM. His parodies are hilarious. Well, maybe not hilarious to you guys. Just one of those, "I don't actually know what I want to watch, but look! This guy made new videos! I guess this is the best option to get rid of my boredom for the time being!" sort of thing.

15. Erhena

Erhena Elie de Ozara

I don t think bronies are worst than furry. It is another fandom and like here, some can be really nice and other can be less .
    Despite this, I don t like the brownie's art, but it is only because i think the possibilities is not really devellopped.
    Furry permetted to draw a lot of variations and species. Brownies is only Ponies.... For an artiste I think it is a little bit sad.

modfox likes this.
  16. almost invariably annoying spammers at least that was my opinion about a year ago dont see them alot anymore.

17. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

i am just going to give a really blunt opinion. if your 16 to about 20 then i dont really care but if you like 30 or 40 and you are a bronie well its time to get a job. get a life and possibly go to the gym. because honestly i dont really understand the consept of liking a pink pony. but eatch to your own if you want to be a loner all yur life then go ahead but like i said. if you in you early 20´s or younger then go for it. bur seriousy if you like in your 40s you life is almost half way so yeah. althoug i do respect that your trying to make your child hood last.

18. I agree with this, but if that same 40 year old man was dressing up in animal costumes, making animal noises and squeaking and shit, going to convention where MORE middle aged men are dressed in animal costumes, getting off to borderline bestiality "art", and calling himself a fox over the internet would be absolutely perfectly fine??

idfk, this whole thing just seemed hypocritical of you tbh

19. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

I've never watched past the first couple episodes. It was well produced for a little kids show, but I was very much not the target audience.

20. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

but the thing is.... I am not 40. I am a LOT younger