Paid for Commission. No replies or updates from Artist.

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Grimm Hund, May 31, 2017.

1. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

Any advice? I paid for it 8 months ago and have gotten no updates in 2 months.

2. Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach Taste purple

The money is long gone now if the Artist is ignoring it.

3. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Should have commissioned me for that sort of thing. I could have not-delivered in no more than 7 months, tops.

Frostbyte The Shark likes this.
  4. fralea

fralea Member

Have you tried contacting the artist through multiple venues? How did you pay?

Paypal's seller protection is 180 days so you are likely out of luck if you paid from a pp balance. But if you paid through your credit card or some other way you may still be able to file for a chargeback if you can't contact the seller at all. It does sound from your description that the artist did some work though, so I'd atleast make sure you've attempted to contact them any way you can. Could be that their emails are bouncing and they don't realize it, though unlikley.

5. PrettyKitty13

PrettyKitty13 ..is allergic to chocolate ;~;

Do you have proof/information of the commission request and payment? I would give a final email stating that if there is no response and refund in *insert timeframe*, there will be an artists beware post on your behalf and on the behalf of anyone who decides to commission them in the future.

If the artist has been active on other venues and is ignoring your messages, then that might get them back in shape. If not, share your experience. What do you have to lose?

fralea likes this.
  6. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

He offered a paypal link so I could pay without signing up for it. No email contact so the only way we have contacted is through the FA site. He did some work for me in the first few months but lately progress on my commissioned piece has been very very slow. He started one piece rather immediately, but we ended up scrapping it to make something else. The new piece and the second one have not been started at all.

7. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

I may issue that final warning on him. I spent 0ver $60 on both works I commisioned from him. How long should I give him?

8. fralea

fralea Member

Well you had to pay with something, if you didn't use a paypal balance then it went from your bank balance or your credit card, right? So I'd call up whichever of those and see how long you have to file disputes/chargebacks since it varies. Then make sure at minimum whatever deadline you give is before that. As for how long to give it depends on what you are asking for. Deadline just for them to contact you? To show a WIP? To give the finished images? For a refund?

So it sounds like they don't have any other contact or galleries listed on their FA page. You could try sending an email to the email attached to their paypal account. You might be able to see it on your invoice.

Have they been active on FA? When was the last note you sent and has it been read (you should be able to see it in your sentbox)? You could try posting a shout saying for them to check their notes. I'd put something eyecatching as your subject line of the note too, so they'll already know that its an important note without opening it.

9. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

Credit Card. Okay. I'll look into chargebacks for that. Likely ask him straight for a refund and maybe negotiate something.

10. fralea

fralea Member

Good luck! Just make sure you do try to let the artist refund you themselves before instigating your chargeback as I think it puts a black mark on your account (and possibly fees?). But if you haven't received any contact in that long it sounds like they are in the wrong. I agree with prettykitty too, you should consider posting to the artist beware livejournal so that other people can be aware of this person's business practices.

11. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

His last progress update for someone else's work was 2 months ago. and I started my own commission with him 9 months ago, actually. I literally just did exactly what you suggested and politely asked for him to pay back any amount of what I paid.

12. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

Here's an update... Sending him an email triggered a failure notice and it was sent back.

13. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

And he's also no longer responding to my notes on FA. He's gone and I've been robbed.

14. fralea

fralea Member

No luck with your credit card company?

15. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

Nope. Says it's a 120-Day max to issue a chargeback. It's been nine months and we were still in contact within the 4-month time period. His account is getting a mark as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

16. fralea

fralea Member

You can't put marks on other people's paypal accounts if that's what you mean. It has to be done by paypal themselves. You can report them to paypal but nothing will come of it because of the long timeframe. Unfortunatley there really isn't anything else you can do. You could try calling paypal anyway, and they might say they put the account under investigation, but there has to be reports on current transactions for them to actually do anything afaik.

17. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

I meant his FA Account. 'Artists Beware'

18. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

And there has finally been a resolution to this story that I am satisfied with. I had previously suggested that he pay back at least half and we wipe the slate clean. I may ask for the second half to be paid at a later date, but now I have money that can be used elsewhere.

19. fralea

fralea Member

I mean, if you said you would agree to a clean slate why would you ask for the rest later? Anyway I'm glad you could get a resolution, I misread and thought you said they also wiped their FA account, which is why you couldn't get a note back. Glad that wasn't the case.

20. Grimm Hund

Grimm Hund Active Member

Yeah, I did suggest a clean slate for half. Was hoping that I wouldn't be criticized for not getting all of my money back. Now I have $30 to spend on a better commission.

21. fralea

fralea Member

Hope it works out better with your next artist dude