Pentax Cameras

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by DylanM40, Sep 25, 2017.

1. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

I was kinda wondering if anyone ever messed with a Pentax Camera. I just realized I don't know whole lot about that particular brand.

2. redhusky

redhusky Active Member

What are those?

3. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

How I feel.

4. redhusky

redhusky Active Member

Hungry?

5. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

I had to google it, and you feel like a camera? >.<????

On a side note I think my dad used one but i'm not sure now. >.<

6. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

What I mean't by the "How I feel" comment is what redhusky said which was what are those. Which in the end was mean't to come out as I don't have much knowledge on Pentax. I could do some research I guess but it's nice to hear it coming from people who use it or know some stuff about it I guess.

7. Water Draco

Water Draco I shal breath my fire on SPAM

Pentax do make good cameras and lenses. They seem to be on more of a back seat present in popularity as canon and nikon, and sony got a lead on them when they bought out minota.

I started with pentax and all of my 35mm film cameras are pentax and still work as well as the day I purchased them. Only went away from them when they messed about with the lens mounts which limited the lenses I could use. So moved over to the Canon eos system as there was greater availability of good used lenses.

8. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Thanks for the input. Kinda sucks seeing how the film area is kinda going. Some places develop them but from what I hear that tends to get expensive. I have no idea the cost or time to do it oneself as I don't really know the process either.

9. Water Draco

Black and white processing is not to difficult to start with and complete used darkroom kits pop up on eBay and tend not to cost much.

You would need: film developing tank, flushing pipe for film tank, film loading bag if you don't want to sit in darkness as you load the film in to the processing tank, darkroom thermometer, at least two graduated 1 liter measuring flasks, five processing trays for the paper, darkroom safe light, enlarger, enlarger timer but not critical. Ilford multi grade filters is a nice touch to use with there multi grade papers. Then the correct developers, fixers, stop bath chemicals for the film and papers, a couple of kitchen timers.
    I can process a couple of films in an evening and works out at about 5 pence per print.
    I get all my film, papers, chemicals these days online from Nova Darkroom Supplies. But there are others companies out there.

As for a dark room if you do not have the room to set one up then a sheat of wood over the bathtub works. Just be careful about water and electricity. Just need to be able to exclude light from the room, so a blackout blind may be needed.

10. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

How long have you been doing this?

11. Water Draco

Started processing films myself when I was 10. So for quite a while now. Although mainly use digital and only go analogue now when feeling nostalgic.

12. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Shoot would have been nice to have been able to learn how to do all that. I don't really have any photographers in my family. I didn't really get to learn the stuff till college and only took a few classes

13. Water Draco

I learnt how to process films and photography on my own through the trial and error approach.

There are always opportunity’s to take up a new activity or to even revisit ones you have tried before that you would like to dabble a bit more with. Normally it is a question of making / allowing yourself the time to explore.

There are many things that I have tried, some of which I enjoyed and still do and there are some that were just a new experience. There are things that I would also still like to try and at some point I will.

DylanM40 likes this.