People rude abot free art...?

Discussion in 'Art & Illustration' started by pallid-panda, Feb 16, 2017.

1. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

So I opened up free requests on a few sites just to get some practice in. I did a torso drawing of a girls OC and she sends me a private message saying ;
    "I'm not trying to get blocked or be rude about your artwork. I just didn't realize you were going to finish the drawing of my character so quickly. I was really hoping to show you a full body pose reference first =\"

Like..I spent hours on the drawing, sure I finished it in a night but it still took hours. I have no idea how to reply to that. I'm sorry I didn't do full body? I'm sorry fullbody takes way more time and I wanted to focus on trying to get the face shape right since I've never done one of those before? I don't want to be rude to her but I already have a rudeish reply typed out and am tempted to send it.

What would you do it someone complained about art you did for someone for free?

Art in question:

Attached Files:

2. I can imagine some people are..
    Personally, I find it amazing that people do free art to begin with. Although I did do some free short stories before I got super busy.

I'd just say something to the effect of, 'Sorry, but it's free, so deal with it', although that still feels a bit rude...

Random image that I feel fits the situation:

3. galaxy-meow

galaxy-meow dapper cat

Wow, ungrateful. when it comes to free art you take whatever they give you and say thank you.
    Tell her if she wanted it a specific way she can commission you.

4. Alex K

Alex K "When in doubt go on bout"

As long as it ain't that Microsoft texture in the paintins im sure all art will be greatly appreciated

Frostbyte The Shark likes this.
  5. lenago

lenago New Member

well that is uncalled for,i mean free art or not,its clear that you put effort on yours,while maybe not rude (though i still find her PM a bit) she is still being quite ungratfull.

knowing me id problably say something like " oh my,im terribly sorry the art you WASTED so much money on was not really to your liking...oh wait...."

6. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

I like to think the artist ate the person.

Frostbyte The Shark likes this.
  7. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I like cookies :3

Out of respect and just sheer kindness your job is to just shut up and be grateful for it, because generally, nothing is free. Artists often have to pay for living expenses like anyone else who work, and if they go out of their way to have one or several slots of free art open, if you are rude about the free art you get, you're just an ungrateful little shit. Sorry to use a bit of profanity, but those are my honest feelings on the subject, and not sure how to put it otherwise.

I have a lot of respect for people doing free art, and if I ever are one of the ones on the recieving end, I will not complain and accept without question. Artists doing free art are literally working without pay, going out of their way to give free art. Now, I am one who believe any work are to be paid for.

Life is a struggle. When you have to fight to be able to even feed your cat while you skip meals because you value your cat more, come back to me. This is directed towards the idiots being ungrateful for free art they are given.

To answer your question: I would be pissed. Royally pissed. I'd finish the art, but instead sell it. Either that, or immediately stop on that piece and do the next one of whom is not ungrateful. Ungrateful people do not deserve free shit.

8. JumboWumbo

JumboWumbo Banned in two states.

Send her this.

done.png

Izzzyzzz, pidge, Revous and 5 others like this.
  9. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt

Welp, some people can be rather unpleasant in that regard, intentionally or not. as @galaxy_meow stated, if somebody complains about free art, just say something, like "Welp, I'll be glad to redraw the thing for you! Here's my commission prices, choose wisely".
    And don't be discouraged/disillusioned over one bad experience - as much as it may seem "a waste of time", not only free artwork is a good way to promote yourself, but you can also get some trades with fantastic artists, and just make yourself some friends and good reputation in general.

10. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

I just wanted more practice with this style and thought may as well give some people some free art and be nice.

Pretty much what I said but a little bit cattier :p

Frostbyte The Shark and Yakamaru like this.
  11. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

I know right! That is pretty much what I told her, said if she wanted a full body reference sheet she should just commission someone. I've had a few people complain about free art I've given them and it doesn't just make me feel terrible it discourages me from doing other freebies for a while

12. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

I spent like hours on it, almost all night and then she doesn't even say thank you. I felt so unappreciated like rude :C

13. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

Oh yeah I was very upset about it. I've had a few people complain about free art and I always make a mental note to never do anything for them again. Like art takes time and effort, lots of both even! I've done commissions a few times before but they have never sold so I just end up doing it for fun and occasionally do free art for people, most the time people are really great about it, thankful and nice. But every once in a while you get someone who just ignores you after you give them the art or acts similar to this person.

The crazy thing about this person is they were on Deviantart so they do art themselves so they KNOW how much time and effort art takes, so I'm just wondering where they get off acting like that. It really upset me.

Yakamaru likes this.
  14. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

That made me chuckle pretty good there, thanks for that .

Yakamaru likes this.
  15. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

That would of been a fun thing to say aha.
    I try not to let it get to me, it isn't the first time I've had someone act similar to this about free art. Still needed the practice and this was good practice. But still can't help but to feel bad about it still

Yakamaru likes this.
  16. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Totally Customized Title

I've found that sometimes It's necessary to just tell people how it is -- in a relatively polite way of course... :)

Yakamaru likes this.
  17. pallid-panda

pallid-panda New Member

I wasn't too polite, I kinda tried.
    I told them "Well I'm sorry you didn't like your free art. But it's free. Keyword free. If you wanted a full body reference sheet you might have to commission someone. Fullbodies take almost twice as much work and I spent hours on this piece as it is... Again sorry you didn't like it."

Yakamaru likes this.
  18. Kenyatta

Kenyatta New Member

People like that are the worst. I'd honestly ignore her.

19. AsheSkyler

AsheSkyler Feathered Jester

If you did something grossly out-of-character, I could see some room for complaint. Maybe she's just simply surprised? There are quite a few artists that take weeks or even months for simple drawings.

20. Aurorans Solis

Aurorans Solis cum solem surgat auroretque diem incepit

I've got a bit of input to give myself here. At my school (just a high school, mind you), I'm fortunate enough to have access to a CNC router (among other things, but that's the only one that's important for this). When I found out that any student is able to use it, I immediately took the time to learn how to, and am now the person that anyone who wants to use the router comes to for help. So, when Student Council was looking for some signs to be made for the homecoming dance and they asked one of the tech directors at my school, the tech director sent Student Council my way. They asked me to make some signs for homecoming, and I agreed, and proceeded to go through the process of starting with an image, making a .svg file out of it (entirely by hand, none of that sissy automated stuff), cleaning it up, making it a .dxf, and then making a GCODE file out of it. Then I had to wait for the router to do the cuts and then after that I had to do touch-up work because the wood I had to work with was some of the shittiest I'd ever seen. Then there was sanding and staining and all of that. All in all, 21 hours for the both of the signs, a third of which was spent after school on my birthday. It's been four months since then, and I've still yet to hear a single effing word of thanks from those ungrateful bastards. The only reason I know that they were any good is that friends who went to the dance told me they saw the signs and thought they looked good. I can't really ask for money for signs next time considering my position, but if they want signs for the next homecoming dance, they can find someone else to make them unless they do a very good job convincing me that there's a good reason to make them.

tl;dr: I know the feeling of receiving little to no thanks for free work you've done, and it sucks. I still to this day do all sorts of work like that for free - I've got two free art projects on my plate right now, though I'll admit, being an artist is not my occupation - and will continue to do so, because out of all of the times that I've done work knowing I wasn't going to be remunerated, in all cases except that one, the people who received my work were extremely grateful and the happy looks on their faces made it worth my while. Your artwork is great, and I know for a fact that every person who receives it should be grateful, and I'm sure that almost all of them are absolutely elated. Keep at it, and I promise you that you won't regret it.