pokemon does it incite slavery or a corrupted viewpoint on pets or companions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alexander001, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Pokemon have living beings in it, though they don't portray death much if at all. It's a kid's show. And as such they don't show much of it. But death DO happen, as it's the end game of life.

Having some few dark entries doesn't make the game incite slavery or corrupted viewpoints. If that were the case, I guess I'd be a gun-toting slave owner now.

Ginza likes this.
  2. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Yes, let's talk about how an ageless 10-year-old captures technicolor critters with supernatural abilities and strong arms them into gladiatorial cockfighting for fun and profit. :p

The games themselves, through plot dissonance, do bring light to these issues through the villainous organizations. Team Rocket exploit pokemon for profit, Teams Magma and Aqua are eco-terrorists too consumed with their end goals to see the actual damage they're causing, Team Galactic are extreme fundamentalists trying to make God their bitch, Team Plasma is PETA taken to its hypocritically militant extreme (and puppeted by a manipulative power-hungry ideologue), and Team Flare is a death cult of personality akin to the hidden side of Amestris in Fullmetal Alchemist.

3. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Sarcastic Coffeecup Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Games don't do shit except provide entertainment.

-..Legacy..-, Yakamaru and Ginza like this.
  4. ChapterAquila92

I'll hold you up to your username and assume you're not being serious, then.

5. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Beyond surface level interaction, a heated defeat in a battle, casual games do not generally incite any negative IRL actions.
    Violent games don't make you violent and sexual games don't make you a nymphomaniac etc yadda yadda.
    Some games are different though and are designed to make you feel bad about something (such as Spec Ops the Line), but those aren't that common.

6. Yakamaru

No shit, Sherlock. xD

1997: Games are creating mass murderers!
    2013: Games are creating sexists and misogynists!
    2017: Games are creating neo-Nazis!

7. Sarcastic Coffeecup

That's
    You may want to consider approaching agreement with something else than an insult fyi.
    But yes. Games get demonised and given a stigma for X reason every year without basis for it.

8. Yakamaru

It's not really an insult, but yes.

Everything is getting false stigma because you know, narrative. We need our outrage culture to stay alive and well.

Sarcastic Coffeecup likes this.
  9. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Taking responsibility is so much harder than blaming games so, people just take the easy route

Dongding, jtrekkie and Yakamaru like this.
  10. ChapterAquila92

I can agree with this elaboration on the vague statement you dropped earlier; Pokemon is not geared to deliver a strong moral message through its gameplay alone, and any lore accessible in-game that can do so serves as little more than window dressing to the generic JRPG formula.

11. I played the games and watched the media and nothing about Pokémon made me ever think that ideas of enslaving animals were used in this franchise.

12. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

Pokémon is shit.... full stop

13. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

LOL. What?

But let's reframe the question. How about we ask if the overall way we view animals in real life causes us to view animals as slaves etc? But then we need to define slavery, corruption, etc. Big can of worms.

Sarachaga and Yakamaru like this.
  14. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

Bruh. It's a kids game. You're looking too deep into it. It's meant to be a lighthearted fun game. Not some 18+ game promoting slavery and abuse. Besides, Pokémon aren't even real. Aren't the Pokémon in the video games and the shows happy to be with their trainers too? If they weren't, they'd just run away or attack the trainers. There's plenty of Pokémon that can utterly destroy a person. Also, isn't batteling in Pokémon nature?

Yakamaru likes this.
  15. Akartoshi

Akartoshi you have been booped by the web potater foxxo

*cries in Eevee*

16. Kit H. Ruppell

Kit H. Ruppell Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

My Pokemon and I both love being terrible and looking fabulous

Yakamaru likes this.
  17. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

Think there seems to be a pretty clear consensus in the thread...
    But to summarize my point in short.

No.
    As far as my knowledge goes, there is no correlation between being a fan of pokemon and being abusive towards animals.
    On the contrary my general experience is that pokemon fans tend to be more likely to have a pet, and care for them properly.
    I'm not sure why you'd even link these two concepts together...
    But essentially I've yet to hear of a case where someone's tried to train their cat/dog/bird/etc for some fighting league.
    I've never seen a kid encourage their pet to use 'bite' or some other fancy move on another dog/passerby. (In relation to pokemon)

Honestly, anyone with a functioning brain would be able to discern that pokemon is fictional.
    Furthermore the games and show portray pokemon as companions; creatures to care for, or be amazed by.
    So I don't even know what this thread is trying to nitpick at.

18. Akartoshi

Akartoshi you have been booped by the web potater foxxo

That explains PETA

19. dogryme6

dogryme6 Destructive Faffer

It's just a game bruh, don't think about it.
    "What about the reality where Hitler cured cancer, Morty? The answer is don't think about it."
    Speaking of which, Rick and Morty had their own take on pokemon with Pocket Mortys. All too applicable here...

20. Simo

Simo Skunk

I always thought it incited the reckless spending of money, more than anything, and was the biggest 'buy these toys and all this other stuff' cartoon tie in I had ever seen, to date.

I guess, too, I just never got the whole appeal, somehow...it seemed more for little kids? But that's just me, and nothing personal.

As for slavery and stuff, well, maybe slavery to making money, to afford all the stuff : P

dogryme6 likes this.
  21. It's really just a long-running joke at this point. It began as a video game series for kids, so it had a lighthearted narrative. There was never really an intent to realistically portray anything (though portrayals of things differed from the American and Japanese versions due to cultural differences/tolerations), since it was far easier to create a fantasy world that operated on the logic of sunshine and rainbows. However, because of the game mechanics and the overly-simplistic narrative world, it was extraordinarily easy for people to poke fun at the unrealistic and absurd scenarios where every plot hole was covered up by the magic of friendship.

I doubt anyone would value slavery just from playing the games or watching the animated shows. I grew up watching the American broadcast of the show for it, it's absolutely cheesy and hilarious seeing it now. The fears that it will "brainwash" children is completely unfounded.

22. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

Oh yeah, I remember those...

[​IMG]

23. Mikazuki Marazhu

Mikazuki Marazhu Hawaiian Pizza!

It's not a stupid question from OP.
    One can wonder if games in general influence how we act in real life. So give him a break.

Anyway.. Pokémon is hardly something people take seriously. I'm more worried about GTA

ChromaticRabbit likes this.
  24. Yakamaru

Lol. Anders Behring Breivik played World of Warcraft. Doesn't mean there's any correlation between the two. People's past-times and innate violent behaviour have little to nothing to do with one another. The aggressive behaviour already have to be present or be caused/amplified by other factors.

Playing games makes you aggressive and violent the same way a spoon makes you fat or a gun walks around shooting people. :p

25. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

Not true. Psychological studies have shown that playing violent video games can have negative impacts on a person's psyche. Some people have been known to deliberately play them to learn how to kill people.

Also, the military began using video simulations on their soldiers before the Vietnam war. They used the technology that now powers publicly available first person shooter games; in other words the military pioneered violent video game tech.

What this did was inhibit soldiers normal response to war, which is to often deliberately miss their targets. So it's no surprise actually that the Vietnam war was so traumatic.

Mikazuki Marazhu likes this.