Popularity and Exposure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kopatropa, Nov 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM.

1. Kopatropa

Kopatropa Member

(Note: This is from a Twitter perspective.)

I'm not popular at all on anything and I have this issue where I want to become a popular artist as I feel like how much attention your art gets determines your worth as an artist and even a person; if you don't get a lot of attention, you suck.

I really do love most of my creations, but I also get most of my motivation from validation. To me, popularity is not a bonus, but an absolute need if I want to be happy and is probably my 2nd highest art priority (under having art as good as my idols, of course).

Maybe I'm just envious of artists who get so many likes/favs, fans, fanart, and attention, regardless of their art skill. If it's because of being active, like everyone says, it's hard for me because being ignored when I comment makes me feel crappy.

I'm stumped on what to do about this. My goal is to be like my idols: really good artists that many adore and look up to, emphasis on "many adore and look up to". Is this a bad goal?

2. Redlinelies

Redlinelies iRawr

I say it isn't a bad goal at all.

We can sit here and preach all day that we should do art because it makes us happy, or gives us a reason to wake up in the morning, but I fully accept people also doing a creative hobby because they want to reach out to others and be seen as something more. Being recognized for your work, any kind of work is a really nice feat, but when people put it in a way of doing something just to be popular it doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, or it might just rub people the wrong way. Arting and being an artist is a very sacred way of living for some while others just do it for fun as it's very diverse.

One thing that seems fairly important when it comes to popular artists is that they both have an interesting personality and character, but also makes really great art. Some can make it really far on just one of these but they're both equally important if your goal is to become someone people look up to. It doesn't necessarily need to be that they're the nicest one out their either, just an interesting personality that people want to keep in touch with. I must admit that I myself however is one of those people who mainly follow someone for just their art, rather who they are as a person, this also means that I probably do not engage as much or as well as those you see praising their favorite artists in various ways.

Being looked up to by other people is a good thing, even though it can sometimes be a burden to that person. I understand what you mean, but to clarify I do not think you'd want to be like your idol. Rather become as recognized and possibly respected as an artist.

[​IMG]
    Maybe you can follow in their steps, but you will get to a point where you feel like the world is open to you beyond what you might've seen in the very people you look up to now. Maybe you'd be completely content there at that point who knows, but if you're also in it for all the people that might watch your art and appreciate it at that point you'd have many doors to try out. All I can give you at this point is like so many people elsewhere usually gives to others, hard work and dedication will get you there, and being a self critic in healthy doses is probably good too.

3. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

I think everyone craves validation. They wouldn't share what they created online if they didn't want their value as an artist praised.

All I can say is that when I see posts like this, I sort of think that the poster has already made their decision and just needs to let steam off. You don't really need our advice, do you?

Also as a side note, I'm having difficulty wording the above in a way that doesn't make it seem like I'm trying to be a dick. I'm really not.

Just keep at it... or don't. You can always start again or reinvent yourself on another profile if you ever felt you made a mistake that you'd prefer to avoid rather than recover from through perseverance. People change and I feel like what I chose to share so long ago when I was a different person with different interests shouldn't typecast or bottleneck me as an artist.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    -Sliqq- and Amiir like this.
  4. Kopatropa

Kopatropa Member

I'm also guilty of following artists mostly for their art, but that's only because I'm too scared to actually have any connection with them, especially if they're popular, in which case they most likely won't ever respond.

5. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

Twitter is awful, and so maybe you'll be happiest if you just stop using it to seek validation at all. Positive support means a lot when participating in a community of art, especially when starting out. The quality of those relationships should matter more than the quantity.

6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Wanting to be validated for having fans is IMO not something bad. Keep in mind that being a good artist, a good writer, etc, isn't everything. It's how you approach people as a creator. A positive, outgoing and friendly attitude towards your fans will always attract more over time as you interact more and more with other people, though being a good creator is always a plus.

Do not validate your art through how many artists you have. That is one flaw you might want to work on, and is IMO one of the bad ways to validate yourself and your art. The same way people like and dislike different characters, artstyles, +++, you're going to have to live with the fact that not everyone will like your creations.

If you want to create a following you're going to have do some work for it, using different platforms.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Furryspeech
    Gab.ai
    Minds.com
    And obviously FA and FAF
    DeviantArt too

Be a little proactive on your exposure. Talk with people. Do art showcases, enter art competitions/collabs, etc.

7. perkele

perkele Active Member

Do you feel like you're somehow less a part of the community, if you're not a popular content creator? I feel like that sometimes too. It's hard when the hobby is centered around making things and you are simply a lookie-loo. Even worse, I think, if you aren't yet skilled enough to break into that former category of "artists." Almost but not quite!

Simo likes this.