Poses

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by ReeseDobie, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

Ugh. Does anyone else have trouble thinking up poses for their works? I've used almost every pose on PoseManiacs.com and none of them appeal to me anymore.

My muse sucks when it comes to thinking up original ideas. (Hence why I like it best when commissioners tell me what THEY want to see. I hate artistic liberty commissions..)

2. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

i get like that alot, i will takes pics of myself to reference of a specific pose if i cannot find one

3. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

I've done that before too, but.. I'm still at a loss haha. I dunno, I feel like I've done the same few poses forever..

4. OtterScience

OtterScience New Member

Taking pics of yourself -or friends, if you have someone willing to pose with less clothes- works for me fine, but I usually follow a looot of photographers in tumblr and constantly save -and don't forget to share an support- their work.

Save every interesting photo you find, it can be a good reference in the future! :p

ReeseDobie likes this.
  5. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

I do that as well! I also talk to some fellow artists here on FA and ask if it's okay to reference certain poses or perspectives that I just can't fathom in my head.

6. OtterScience

OtterScience New Member

I've done that too hahaha, but just when there is no other way, because their poses are already an interpretation of reality, so you're at risk of doing an interpretation of an interpretation, so be careful with that D:

ReeseDobie likes this.
  7. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

That's very true.. Helpful nonetheless for basic pose though.

8. Orcashia

Orcashia Blue Orca

I've gotten some of my ideas from 'Dancing with the Stars' and the Olympics. If you watch tv get some ideas from shows/movies. Just open your eyes to the possibilities around you. The same with backgrounds. :) It helps me.

ReeseDobie likes this.
  9. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

Thank you! <3

10. Phoenix-Kat

Phoenix-Kat Guest

Yes, especially since my characters' anatomy differs from most references. I can never find what I want at pose manics.

ReeseDobie likes this.
  11. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

Mine character's anatomy doesn't differ really, but sometimes it's hard to wrap my brain around the pose I wanna do. Especially if it involves multiple characters. I dunno if it's just a creativity block or what, but it's annoying!

12. -Praydeth-

-Praydeth- The Trickster coyote.

Poses aren't exactly something hard for me to think of (though I don't draw) because I think of gestures not exactly poses. Gestures can be combined to form complex expressions. Eye expressions, hand gestures, cheek positioning, Eyebrows, Smiles, grins, frowns & laughter. Hell even depending on what species you are drawing there may be more then just that You can include ears that can be lowered or raised etc.

ReeseDobie likes this.
  13. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

AND ALL THAT IS WHY I HAVE TROUBLE. Hahaha
    I guess I'm just not like, SUPER creative when it comes to thinking up how exactly I want to portray a certain expression?

14. -Praydeth-

-Praydeth- The Trickster coyote.

Here is one way for example.

Want to portray goofiness try this:
    1. Arms open & up in the air as if they were greeting someone about to embrace them with their arms.
    2. Askew head positioning rather the a straight lateral one.
    3. Mouth open with sort of smile / laughter with (I hate this when i see it portrayed but I know a lot of people like it) their tongue hanging out.
    4. Eyes are a problem depending on what you do they might come off as insane & not goofy.
    5. Raised eyebrows.
    6. If ears are position able have them one ear be in a different position from the other.
    7. Raised cheekbones.
    8. Outwards expressed chest as if boasting.

ReeseDobie likes this.
  15. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

I don't like the tongue hanging out either. It bothers me.
    But thank you! I could actually picture that in my head. Very detailed.

16. Paintchaser

Paintchaser New Member

Pose depends on what you want to draw a picture. It's hard to draw a naked female pose. They draw a lot artist and find a special pose difficult. I'm looking at photos of professional photographers. If you need a normal pose is not naked, no problem www.istockphoto.com: Stock photos, royalty-free images & video clips | iStock By tags you can find a similar theme for the picture