PSA: About "coming out" as a furry

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mentova, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Endless/Nameless

Endless/Nameless Renegade

Hi guys I'm a furry

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% Weaponized Autism

*gasps in surprised Furry*
    A FURRY!

Endless/Nameless likes this.
  3. Endless/Nameless

Endless/Nameless Renegade

I'm not a nazi tho

4. brian577

brian577 Member

I actually start with anthropomorphism. Ask them if they're familiar with the concept (most obviously aren't) I explain what it means and go from there.

5. Howdy. I'm new to furry fandom. Sorry, not too familiar with the lingo here. I went to my first "Furry convention" today. It was definitely not what I expected. Actually, I didn't really expect anything except people uniting as one to celebrate what they love and have in common. Anyway, as I've mentioned, I'm new here and would love to meet friendly & older furrys. I do have so many questions. Thanks in advance.
    *obviously I have no forum experience, I'm such a sad little noob* :(

Troj likes this.
  6. SoushieChan

SoushieChan New Member

I have never really made it a secret to my mother. Im not a fursuiter but I do plan on getting a custom tail and ears at some point. My mom simply doesnt care at all and is very supportive. I made her see that there is more than just what the stereotypes makes it out to be.

7. Can someone please help? I'm only known as a furry online, which I'm fine with and there's no point in telling anyone. However, I'm planning on getting a custom taip and go to a convention in ther near future, probably in the next 5 years if I'm lucky, but how do I tell my mum about getting a custom tail, about furcons, and furries, the main problem here is that even if I do it right, she'll probably still end up finding about the NSFW stuff and think I've been lying to her or something.

What I'm planning on doing is showing her some fursuit parades, dance videos from furcons and some youtubers. Howevever, the moment I mention anything that relates to NSFW, even slightly and sje'd won't accept me as one. Even if I got my own place, she may still regularly visit, making a problem still, only less likely. In terms of misconceptions, I'm planning on showing her this:
    , but I'm still scared it would go wrong, and be taken seriously or out of context.

The only real good thing is that she has seen anthros before, from films like Sing and the trailer for Zootopia (or Zootropolis (I don't know if different countries have different names for it)), but she wouldn't lnow what an anthro is unless she is told so. Also, she hasn't seen any actual furries IRL, because there are none in my area as far I know (so lonely... :(, nearest con is confuzzled which is around a 2 and a half hour drive away). Also, apparently she something about a man who dresses up and acts like a dog (not in a furry way, but I'm guessing in an almost real sort of way), and the only thing I remember her saying about it was that it was weird or something like that.

Another thing, (I'm not good at ordering this LOL) I'm planning on talking to her about anime if I have to, and compare it to furries as in it has a SFW side (Pokemon, Naruto and Initial D), and an NSFW side (some anime, not going to name them as although I know about this, I don't know any names).

I would plan on saving up some money to go to one, and probably alone, as in a single bedroom or get a 2 person bedroom and share with someone. How would I explain to her about going to a furcon alone, or sharing with a random furry? The thing is, if I was to go to a furcon she'd want to come too, to see what its like or to make sure I'm safe, no matter how long I stay for. I feel like I'd be one of the unlucky furries who instead of getting disowned, would instead lose internet access, or some, and she'd want to know what I'm doing, etc.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  8. Troj

Troj Well-Known Member

How about inviting your mum to a meet or a con, or a meet and then a con? Lots of parents are won over once they actually see the community and chat with actual furries. Sometimes, the key is to get the other person to be inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside of the tent pissing in, so to speak.

You could also wait until you're older, of course, but I know that's a bit of a bummer.

My parents have traditionally responded well to me being honest about the problems and risks associated with something I want to do, and then showing that I have a plan or avoiding or dealing with those issues. They have also tended to respond well when they know and trust the people I'll be with--so, when I was younger, they were more open to me going places and doing things if they knew responsible people were going with me.

9. Haven't seen any meets online, and I don't plan on going to a con yet. All I can do right now is youtube videos. Also, how do I start talking about it?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  10. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

I didn't come out as a furry or any of my other traits, though some of them I was forced out upon, as there's nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

11. TFW
    Unless you're scared of how your parents will react.

12. Tecwyn

Tecwyn Loves Chatting

Truthfully, I might have done something to that effect, but actually not because I was scared how others would react, rather that I wanted to accept it for myself.
    Had a bit of denial going on about my interests

Fun side note, things usually seems like a big deal, but in the end after everything is said and done, it's relatively insignificant in hindsight. (still doesn't make it any less hard if you have those feelings)

13. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

Oh, I know that all too well, and I've been shown my parent's merciless destruction of things they disapprove of. But I don't let fear dominate my life even despite my experiences, because that's what they want you to do as they instill fear in you. They want you to cower and conform.

14. TFW a furcon you want to go to, you won't be able to based on when its on, and it has a theme each year, so you have to wait for abgood one, and the one left is one that is getting a new website, and if you use the wayback machine, you see that it doesn't have many events on.

ebbingRose likes this.
  15. Maxwell8330

Maxwell8330 New Member

not really sure about coming out.Furries seem extremely disliked in Australia.I'm not even sure if there's any furry conventions in Australia.Im about to move out soon and im not really sure how one joins the furry community in Australia(not to mention how socially awkward I am when I talk to new people).would anyone have any advice?

16. There are 5 in Australia:
    1. ConFurgence (ConFurgence - Heroes of Furtropolis (This seems to be the biggest one based on attendance)
    2. FurDU (www.furdu.com: Coming Soon
    3. FurJam (FurJAM (Not an actual convention, more like a meet up, I guess)
    4. FurWAG (furwag.com.au: Home - Australian Fandom Conventions (smallest based on attendance)
    5. RivFur (South Bank Fur Meet
    You have missed them all, but should on again in the near futur, just make sure to keep checking.

17. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

why mention it at all?

look it really depends on how actually "furry" you are personally i like the Art and as ive found out recently talking to people and that's pretty much it

would i go to a meet? probably only if i had another reason to be in the city

you also need to keep in mind the laws you technically kinda can't actually walk around in a fursuit any way since its covering your face im not so sure on the street but definitely not in stores convention yes (because there's a reason) but if cops tell you to remove your head you need to

and before this starts an argument its the truth a friend of mine in Victoria Police had problems with furries because they refused to remove their heads and it caused drama's because they had to be forcefully taken back to the station

just don't be that guy if you're making people uncomfortable stop

Ramjet556 likes this.
  18. Maxwell8330

Maxwell8330 New Member

dont worry I have no intent to start arguments. And I can tell from personal experience that it's best not to antagonise people especially the police.but yeah I might go to one now that I know where (thanks maddoneverything)and it seems that confurgence is the closest.
    but yeah Ive learnt the hard way not to draw attention to my self so I would likely just where casual clothes and see how it is.
    thanks for the advice!

19. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Well-Known Member

It's a hobby just like any other...
    I Like the art and would go to a group event if it fit my schedule..Other than that it's nobody's else's business but mine.
    Its not like it's a sexual orientation or something,at least it shouldn't be..lol

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Zenoth and kidchameleon like this.
  20. GreenZone

we are the same you and i

let us yiff to celebrate our common qualities

remember its only gay if you push back and or say i love you

Dmc10398 and Ramjet556 like this.
  21. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Madoneverything likes this.
  22. GreenZone

Ramjet556 likes this.
  23. Kiss.of.Envy

Kiss.of.Envy Give this Coyote a Bone

Last year I started this community thinking "Dude I can finally relate to someone" (I been a furry since middle school, I wasn't to interested in girls and my first boyfriend in high school called himself a tiger but he wasn't a furry more like...he liked tigers)
    But long story short....shorter :p

My lil bro came over to spend the night and wanted to use my laptop for science or what not but being solo in an apartment I never had to delete my history before so it never came to thought until my bro called me back in my room and pulled up one of my saved doujinshi's I had on there.
    He's close to our older bro and well must've told him cause that bastard hated me anyways and went straight to mom about it and all hell broke loose.
    Family hated me, my bastard brother calls me an animal fucker, and mom doesn't give me must of an conversation unless it involves work (It's still part of the family business anyways so I only work on weekends now.)
    But it's been a year since then, and there's still tension.
    Dad never cared anyways, he figured I was gay and thought this was part of it. And my lil bro has been starting to draw animal versions of all of us. Scared he might get outcasted cause I 'tainted' him.

So I guess, some family will let you be you while others.....think your a freak
    There's my campfire story, so I'm done ranting

24. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

>Letting someone use your personal computer and caring about what they'll fine

[​IMG]

Finian Wren likes this.
  25. Kiss.of.Envy

Kiss.of.Envy Give this Coyote a Bone

Dude, I need that! Like seriously XD