Question: is anthrocon kid-friendly?

Discussion in 'Furry Conventions' started by Snowfurry360, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Snowfurry360

Snowfurry360 The out-of-this-world kinda gal

Hey yo peeps, how's it going? So, having like the best mom ever, she agreed to take me to a convention. I have decided anthrocon cuz well, it's the biggest, and most seemingly official ( no offense other cons ). But Here's the thing. My mom is pretty tight ( more or less ) about cursing, and although I really don't do it, I hope she doesn't get influenced by people around us. I know I can't control anyone, and my mom has some common sense about swearing, but is anthrocon good for a first con?

General questions:
    Is the building anthrocon is located at a hotel? ( I know where the building is )
    Any specific area where it is held? If so where?
    I will be about 14 at the time, with a partial, ( hopefully) so can I enter a dance competition?

2. Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude Active Member

All conventions try to maintain a PG rating in common areas. Anything with adult content is clearly labeled as such, and you have to be 18+ to enter those areas.

Anthrocon is held in the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, PA. There is more information here.

Yes, you can dance in the dance competition in a partial fursuit.

3. Sparrow-the-Wolfess

Sparrow-the-Wolfess Commission Work: Short Story Writer

Pretty sure that since Cons are public events, they are most certainly kid-friendly. :)

4. Snowfurry360

Ok thanks dude(s)!

5. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

There were a good deal of kids when I went ealier this year, all of them were accompanied by a parent and I believe it's in the con rules that anyone under a certain age needs their parents to be with them. I didn't really notice anything that would make me concerned as a parent

6. Snowfurry360

ok, my mom might be encouraged when she sees kids there. I mean, I am going there with her no matter wut, cuz I don't live in PA.

7. Snowfurry360

New question!:..... Should I go?

8. Tetrachroma

Tetrachroma Cheers to the deers

From what I've heard, Anthrocon is a terrible place to go as your first convention. I've heard about and talked to quite a number of people who go to conventions at least once or twice every year, and they said they were completely overwhelmed by Anthrocon. A lot of people who choose that as a first convention say they had a terrible time, just because of the sheer confusion. Though the people that have had quite enough face-to-face furry experience said their time at Anthrocon was the best time of their lives.

My advice; take it easy. There are a number of other, smaller furry cons you can go to just to get a taste before you should attend the big mother that is Anthrocon.

9. Snowfurry360

Ah ok, thx fur telling me. I live in nj, so any suggestions?

10. Tetrachroma

Tetrachroma Cheers to the deers

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. I've only been in the furry community for a bit over a month, so the only furry cons I know of are Anthrocon, Midwest Furfest, Eurofurence, and AnthrOhio (I live in Ohio)

11. Snowfurry360

Hmm ok. I will look some up.

12. Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude Active Member

on a slight tangent here, you also have furry weekend atlanta (atlanta), motor city fur con (near detroit), indy fur con (indianapolis) and fur reality in cincinatti (coming this october 7-9th!) in relatively close range.

13. Snowfurry360

Thx fur the suggestions bro. I'll keep these in mind

14. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Of course they're "kid-friendly", just go to Rainfurrest to find out...

Very Hairy Larry likes this.
  15. Snowfurry360

Ok, but where is it?

16. Seattle, I think.
    That's the closest one to me.
    I don't even know if it's still up and running. xD

17. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

From personal experience I found that for my first convention, anthrocon wasn't too much, granted I planned ahead to decide what I wanted to do and such and I went with friends, it just passed by very fast

I live in NJ too, the drive was long but there is a good deal of scenery once you cross the NJ in to Pennsylvania

You're such a silly fox :p

18. Aaron Whitepaw

Aaron Whitepaw White wolf

This is kinda Random, but, is Markiplier a Fur. his brother is the creator of twokinds and is a fur, but is Mark himself a fur?

19. Notkastar

Notkastar Notka- What?

I'll just go go head and put this here and be on my way (¬‿¬)

20. Aaron Whitepaw

Aaron Whitepaw White wolf