RANT: My car got broken into...again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PlusThirtyOne, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

My car has been "broken into" 5 times in the last 2 months. i have "broken" in quotes because my door lock is broken and i can't afford to get it fixed. Technically all they gotta do is open the door. -And before some other jackass chimes in (because they always do) MY CAR ONLY HAS ONE LOCK! i have virtually no income, i'm disabled and i wouldn't know the first step to repairing the lock mechanism myself anyway.

Every other week i've gone out to find my car in shambles. Glove box and center console open, back seats torn through, papers everywhere, backpack dug through... Don't worry though, they haven't taken anything of actual value; just random shit with value only to me. My work uniform, my badge, my "employee of the month" pins, my work shoes and my cane. Yeah, my cane. That real important thing i need to get around; they took that! i've got literally $10 worth of quarters in the damn cup holder! Take that! Take my stereo, my jumper battery, my phone adapter, my DS, my MP3 player, my bugout bag, my work walkie, adapters, chargers, etc. Just leave the shit i need for my employment and livelihood!
    Some of my items were found by my roomie strewn down the sidewalk adjacent to our building so some items were recovered but i'm finally ready to return to work (or try) next week but now i need to go buy a whole new uniform. The jerks at my apartment complex basically told me i deserved to have my things stolen because i don't lock my car. Rather than just taking my statement or show much empathy, they just told me, "Don't be an idiot and lock your car! Hurr durr durr!". We're supposed to have security patrols around nightly but i haven't seen them in the last few months. Even as a night owl who takes regular late night/early morning walks, i haven't seen a single security guard in quite some time. As if they could do anything about it, after all, i park directly in front my apartment windows, i'm awake and active most nights and i'm still getting broken into. While i know i haven't lost anything worth crying over, it's still fucking with my head. Even if nothing was stolen, just knowing that somebody out there is tearing through my shit just makes me feel...gross. Worse yet, there's nothing i can do about it and they probably know that.

Has your car ever been broken into? Do you have any advice on how to boobie-trap my car on the cheap? As much as i'd love to leave a surprise for the prowler like a bait wallet rigged with razor blades, i really don't want to piss anybody off. if the thief is having fun just making a mess and leaving, i'd rather not give them a reason to vandalize my car any further.

2. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

Don't leave traps you, if I can recall they will be able to sue you if they get hurt

I would just not leave anything in the car ever make sure its always empty or put it in the trunk if you have to
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the patrol are the ones breaking in after they told you that.

sorry to hear that

3. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

Boobie-traps are a huge ethical no-no, and can result in you being the one getting sued.

Better option is a front and rear dash-cam that runs either continuously, or turns on when it detects motion, so the burgler can be caught on camera. If they're doing it a lot, they might have been caught before, and the video evidence can get the cops on them.

That video evidence also makes it much easier to make a claim with your insurance company to get your car's damage fixed, which they should, be doing anyway. You're not the one damaging your car, someone else is, and it's totally out of your control. That falls under the umbrella of damage that most insurance packages will cover (likely with a deductible, and I don't know of any that can turn it down, especially if you file a police report).

It'sBlitz likes this.
  4. It'sBlitz

It'sBlitz Active Member

Not in South Africa it won't.

AustinB and Simo like this.
  5. SSJ3Mewtwo

And while I have no idea whether the OP is in South Africa or not, if anyone posts anything like tips or instruction to set-up a booby-trap to harm a thief on this forum, they will receive immediate disciplinary action for encouraging illegal-activity per US law. So please don't bring up such an irrelevant point.

6. PlusThirtyOne

HAH! At least i'd know who's been getting into my car.
    Still missing the point about being broke. if i had the money to rig my car with cameras, i'd probably have the money to fix my lock. My roomie suggested pointing a webcam at my car from the balcony of our apartment. We probably couldn't record or capture the thief's face on it but we can hook up to my laptop and we can watch it while hanging out in the living room. i'm also trying to figure out how i could rig up a trip-wire and air-horn alarm.

Or...yanno...like...leaving a passive-aggressive note???

Simo likes this.
  7. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

That's why bycicle is the vehicle of the future. Costs almost nothing, mainterance is minimal, and you can deny the muggers opportunity to mess around with your bike by just storing it in your apartments, lol.

But seriously, you should consider buying a dashcam, it's not really that expensive. I'm still surprised not many people use those outside the Eastern Europe - you can buy the thing for $30-50, and it will significantly increase your security from both possible insurance fraud and stealing attempts.

AustinB likes this.
  8. SSJ3Mewtwo

The use of the webcam is a good option, as at least that would be evidence for your insurance company that your car is being damaged by break-ins (and most webcams can be set-up to record video by detecting motion). Then your car can get fixed up, perhaps the thief can be caught by giving the police the video evidence as well, and your can get a proper dashcam set.

Did you make police reports after any of the other prior break-ins?

Pipistrele likes this.
  9. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

I suggest landmines (with appropriate warning signs to keep people away. That way, it's not a "trap" but a "deterrent".) If anyone tries to get near your car, then there won't be any car left to steal from (or thief left to do the stealing)! :V

On a serious note, possibly buy a really cheap bike-lock ($8-10) and leave your windows open just a crack and loop the lock around the post that separates the front and rear door (assuming you're not driving a coupe). Granted, this will only work if you can get the rear doors locked in some way. They'd still be able to open the door a bit, but they probably wouldn't be able to squeeze their way in. But hey, if it works, you'll have a ghetto-ass door lock and it'll be harder for people to break in.

Simo likes this.
  10. PlusThirtyOne

No, mostly because nothing was "broken into". Like i said, my door just doesn't lock. Nothing valuable was taken either. i know i'm just gonna get the same, "Fix your door, dumbass!", response if i report anything. Also, to do so would require driving all the way to the police station and yadda yadda yadda. if my window gets broken or something more valuable goes missing, i'll report it for insurance reasons but the police aren't going to do anything besides give me shit for being "negligent".

Maybe a warning alone would suffice but posting such a noticeable sign to my window would either cause trouble or simply telegraph to more people that i don't/can't lock my door. Of course, i'm picturing a white sign with red letters reading, "DO NOT ENTER!! EXPLOSiVES!!"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. SSJ3Mewtwo

Stuff being stolen is still a crime, and you can get a police report for it, so insurance can cover that at least.

12. It'sBlitz

It'sBlitz Active Member

Dude, it's basic banter, what at least two others have done on this forum alone. Quit riding my ass and realize that I was trying to lighten the mood. And yes, in South Africa, it IS legal to attach small scale flamethrowers to repel carjackers.

Ramjet556 and Jarren like this.
  13. jtrekkie

jtrekkie Feathered

If you got a new lock assembly, do you think you could put it in?

14. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

I believe they market the product as "the blaster."
    The downside, you have to be in the car to trigger it.

It'sBlitz likes this.
  15. Simo

Simo Skunk

Sounds like being broke is the major problem here, a situation I'm generally in. It's hard, because so may solutions that would otherwise seem obvious become out of reach. It ads to the feelings of helplessness, in most any situation, I've tended to find.

A few years back I had this beat up, dented 99 Toyota and somebody busted the small triangle window in back, which, for some dumb reason, costs a fortune to fix. So I used duct tape, but after that, even if I left it totally empty, people, even of a single empty soda can, it would get 'broken' into and rummaged through. I always wondered why. Weren't there other more appealing cars parked on the street?

I mean: it was a dented 99 Corolla, with no hubcaps. What did they think I had stashed in the glove box? Gold bars? Maybe a Picasso in the trunk?

Well, good luck here; I'd try the sign idea, maybe one to aim at the guilt angle, and another as a threat, and see what one works better.

If I'd intalled the flamethrower, though, I'm clumsy, so I'd probably be singed, burnt and bald!

16. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

#cringy

what car model is it? i might know how to fix it i know a lot about cars thanks to being raised by a car enthusiast grandfather and my second car being a Jaguar

my work had this problem there was civilian security who were supposed to patrol but they were just sitting in the guard stations doing fuck all so work embedded sensors into random buildings that have to be scanned every hour or else whoever was on that shift don't get paid so they pretty much are now forced to do their job

17. PlusThirtyOne

How is that cringy? it's an emergency bag with first aid, food, water, a blanket and other goodies for emergency use. Everybody should have one in their car in case of a car accident or natural disaster. if you're unable to leave your car or otherwise unable to go home, you'd be completely screwed without the basics.

Ramjet556 and Jarren like this.
  18. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

when i hear "bugout bag" i think bag with weapons rations first aid ammunition etc etc for if the world ends like this [​IMG]

that's what bug out means to grab shit and run yours is just an emergency bag my city car just has a water jerry and first aid kit with $100 in it but my 4x4 has a proper emergency kit in it though but most of my work stuff lives in there too so i don't need to go overboard

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 12:07 AM
  19. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

At this point I'm actually hoping someone steals mine, could do with the insurance money.

20. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

[​IMG] fishing 4 likes

Junkerfox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.