Redrawing a deceased friend's art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kattling, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kattling

Kattling New Member

I know, this probably sounds really weird. In short, I had a friend who passed away a couple of years ago. I was fiddling around with a the Wayback Machine earlier to see my old DA page, and ended up finding hers and looking through her drawings. I had the idea of redrawing one of her pieces, as a sort of tribute.
    At first I thought it'd be a nice thing to do, something she'd appreciate when she was here. But the more I thought about it... (not to sound bigheaded or anything but) she used to be pretty jealous of my art. She got angry with me on more than one occasion because I got a part-time job as an artist, because my commissions were selling, because people would give me compliments on my art in front of her. The part-time artistic job was one that was online, and she even went as far as to infiltrate several of my accounts including my e-mails to get the password to it, kick me out, and continue posting from my account, pretending to be me, nearly getting me fired for the sudden drop in quality. When I regained control of the account I saw messages from the moderators, saying "my work" had gotten sloppy and there was no point in me being part of the team if none of the work was usable.
    This was about five years ago, but still, I sort of feel like maybe she'd interpret it as one final snub if I was to redraw her art. I mean it from the best place, but I wonder if she'd see it as me saying "nice idea, but I can do it better than that", or something along those lines.
    What do you think?

Ayespacecake and Okamio like this.
  2. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

What you do in tribute to a deceased friend matters to you, they have passed on, and unless you're willing to hire a medium to ask permission from their spirit, it ultimately doesn't matter as long as you're respectful about it.
    Though, honestly, if a friend of mine were to be so jealous to the point of almost costing me a job, I wouldn't do it out of principle. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to still call them my friend because that is a major breach of trust. Ultimately, you do what feels right to you, don't let yourself be unnecessarily shackled by the dead.

3. Telnac

Telnac Fundamentalist Heretic

IMO, I think a good tribute would be an original piece featuring some her characters abd make it clear that it’s a tribute to her and that her estate retains full rights to her characters and that you’renot doing this for commercial gain. That way it falls under fair use & your butt is covered legally.

aloveablebunny likes this.
  4. Okamio

Okamio I'm a gentle beast. Do not fear.

I think it's very sweet of you...
    Thoughts with you.

5. Kattling

Kattling New Member

You've actually made a very good point, one I didn't really think about. I don't want to sound disrespectful to her, but I'd say it's arguable that she wasn't a very good friend to me, and yes, I'm upset that she passed away, but perhaps I should be looking more at how she treated me in life.

Everyone's given me a lot to think about - I think, if I do it, I need to make sure it's because I want to do it for her because she deserved it, and not because I feel I ought to. Thank you everyone. <3

aloveablebunny likes this.
  6. Ginza

Ginza Unironically Ironic

Tbh don't think this is even a problem. You're doing it to honor her, and it's really the thought behind it that matters. I may not be the best to give advice in this scenario, but I personally say go for it. Sorry for your loss as well <3

Lcs likes this.
  7. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

That is the right way to think about it, if you do something because you think you have to, then you're not doing it for the right reason. I wish you the best, regardless of how you choose to go about this.

Lcs likes this.
  8. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Sarcastic Coffeecup Hand. Cannot. Erase.

I wouldn't necessarily go for a redraw, but rather a tribute of some other kind.
    Like you said in OP, it kind of gives that "I can do better than you" kind of vibe at least to me.
    Do something with their characters, draw inspiration from their art. That's a better way to go about it imo.

ChromaticRabbit and Telnac like this.
  9. JJPaw

JJPaw New Member

No, go do it. Keep the memory of that friend alive.