Reporting a plagiarist.

Discussion in 'Writing and Prose' started by Lazy-Fatboy, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

A user has taken a non-furry weight gain story, one that has been around for years, and (for commission) inserted two user's fursonas in place of the previously human characters
    and is taking credit for the story.

I have confronted the plagiarist, and tried to alert the two commissioners.

The plagiarist denied what we both knew to be true, hid my comments and then blocked me.

One of the commissioners chose to block me as well, and the other appears to be offline as he has neither seen my notes or removed the shout I left.

I have proof, which I can give out upon request.

2. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

I submitted a complaint via FA's "Report a Problem" button, telling them everything and linking to the original story and the rip off.

Hopefully they do something about this.

3. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

The story in question has been removed, whether by the Author or by an Admin is uncertain.

reptile logic likes this.
  4. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

5. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

I made some enemies today, that's for certain,
    but I'm glad my efforts are appreciated by somebody.

I'd feel bad for the commissioner who got conned, but when I tried to alert him to the matter
    he blocked me as though I were a troll- so I won't shed any tears for him.

I cussed the both of them out in a journal-
    kvetching about frustrating experiences online is therapeutic for me.

So I'm prepared to move on from this incident.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    amurael likes this.
  6. Simo

Simo Skunk

That's great that you resolved things...as a writer as well, it's not the easiest way to make money, that's for certain.

7. Fopfox

Fopfox Active Member

People really plagiarize free works and publish them as free works? Really stupid and egotistical, since all you'd be getting is a potential ego-stoke at a positive comment.

Good on you for spotting it.

Suki262 likes this.
  8. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Some of them seem to be for attention and ego strokes, yes, but others involve him getting paid.

He's taking stories from closed down gainer sites like FatNats and Gainerweb (and who knows where else) and then adding a few paragraphs, taking out the human characters and replacing them with the Fursonas of respectable members of the community.

He counted on nobody being able to prove it because the stories were lost. What he didn't count on was that there are a large number of appreciators who work to salvage those stories.

He removed the one, but with help from my community yet another plagiarized story has been identified.

With permission, assuming I will not earn ire or punishment, I would like to point out the culprit, provide indisputable evidence, and have him be publicly shamed for his remorseless thievery and conning,
    and then have him be removed from FA as nothing more than the content thief that he's always been.

Is this doable?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    reptile logic and Prometheus_Fox like this.
  9. Prometheus_Fox

Prometheus_Fox Fire Thief

Bless the Wayback Machine.

I absolutely love that tool and the website it's a part of.

What a great use of it. I give you props.

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  10. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Oops. I edited my post since you quoted it. However, yes, bless it. Bless it indeed.

Is this the appropriate place to call out the thief?

I can provide links to the stolen story and the original, and I have a copy of the story the admin (or the "author") removed saved in my downloads folder as evidence,
    should he try to deny the story ever existed as I anticipate he will.

11. Prometheus_Fox

Honestly, I don't know how that would work here, considering I'm pretty fresh myself...

With my experience as a forum admin (from long ago) I'd say to avoid publicity and just hand everything over to the webadmin (or one of their moderators) and have them take care of it.
    Not sure if the whole 'street justice' thing is how people handle this sort of thing here...

But definitely bring it up to someone who moderates or is an admin.

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  12. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Yes...although I've already been far, far less than civil elsewhere,
    I suppose here I should mind my Ps & Qs.

A public forum is much different than the comment section or my journals and notes.

13. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Now, can anyone direct me to an active moderator? As mentioned prior, I submitted a ticket.

I have still yet to receive a response.

14. Prometheus_Fox

Here's a link to the Staff List
    Notable Members | Fur Affinity Forums

I know that at least SSJ3Mewtwo has been recently active, considering I just talked with them the other day.

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  15. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

I commented on his page. I believe he is gone for the night. I shall check back tomorrow.

16. Suki262

Suki262 Active Member

pitiful for the person steal others work for a publicity stunt :/

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  17. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Like I said, he was also commissioned. He also opened a Patreon for himself.

18. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

He's also suspected of running multiple ghost accounts.

19. Prometheus_Fox

Well, if they figure that out, they may just have to perform a MAC ban, if they are capable of such things.
    Banning an IP address only goes so far (for reasons I won't explain here)

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  20. Prometheus_Fox

As someone mentioned in the comments, it's practically tracing, which I've noticed is heavily frowned upon, and for good reason, in my opinion.
    Also, during my previous (and short time) on art boards like DA, even attempting to use another's works in the vein of 'derivative works' is met with swift community disapproval.

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  21. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Well, mission partly accomplished. I got him to own up at least.

He's spinning the "I didn't know any better" angle.

When I noted him about the matter, he refused to confess to it even being derivative.

"I wrote all of my stories. You don't have any proof, so you're just some random troll who decided to harass me of all people for some mysterious reason, so I'm gonna block you know."
    was the jist of his response.

Like I said- he wasn't counting on there being any proof.

22. Prometheus_Fox

To be honest, I can understand the 'not knowing better' part at the beginning.
    Sure, someone could do something wrong and then get caught doing it.
    But how someone acts AFTER is what makes eyebrows raise.
    After proving that what they did is wrong and they don't apologize (or at minimum quietly take it down), it tends to indicate guilt.

I am a firm believer of 'innocent until proven guilty' and I do commend you on bringing proof to the cause.

Now we just have to wait until the doomsday clock ticks down, so to speak.

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  23. Suki262

Suki262 Active Member

Even worse xD

Lazy-Fatboy likes this.
  24. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

Right? If that was his initial response, I might believe it.

As is, he's just trying to save a little face.

He has zero integrity.

I removed my older journals targeting him. His own journal- and the screenshots I took of it, in case he decides to remove it- is damning enough.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  25. Lazy-Fatboy

Lazy-Fatboy New Member

It really is. Like I said, I tried to give one of them notice that they had been conned- and he blocked me. So...

Meh.