Reposting commissioned art with permission

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by docopoper, May 1, 2017.

1. docopoper

docopoper New Member

I've seen in a lot of places people who commission a lot of art having a gallery dedicated to their character. Though I'm confused about how that doesn't break the rule against duplicate submissions with the artist posting their art too.

I thought it might be the case that if you post the same picture its hash gets compared to existing pictures to find a duplicate and then they get merged or something so that they don't show up in search results twice. But that doesn't seem to have happened when I uploaded the picture I commissioned, it appears twice in search results. Is there something I'm missing? Because I've seen in specific artists' rules not to repost their work unless you commissioned it.

I'll take down my art if it's breaking the rules, though reposting art you commission (with credit) does seem to be extremely common practice. Like it's even common for a link to the original post to be included, which is making the duplicate nature as obvious as possible.

2. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

If the commissioned artwork is for you, and you have the artists permission to upload it, then you are doing nothing wrong.

This is covered under the AUP Section 2.6 https://www.furaffinity.net/aup
    Duplicate results may appear in search/browse pages as the artist/you may use different titles, keywords etc to list the submission.

Common courtesy when you have the permission to upload is to include a link back to the artists page, and if they do not have an FA page, then a page of their choosing, normally twitter, facebook, weasyl or other site.

docopoper likes this.
  3. docopoper

docopoper New Member

Awesome. Thank you. I was concerned because of the line "Please avoid uploading identical copies of the same submission". But from your response I guess it's referring to different circumstances.

4. jayhusky

That rule pretty much applies to uploading multiple versions of the same image to your own gallery.
    Although uploading the same image twice (once in main gallery and once in scraps) is ok, as you can use items from the main gallery for "Featured submissions" and items from the scraps folder for your "profile id"
    both are optional features, but that's how they get their info.

docopoper likes this.
  5. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Still technically not allowed; if you want to use the same image for featured/profile ID (why would you want to do that?), the choice will stick even if you move a submission into/out of Scraps. Just takes a tiny bit of submission management.

jayhusky likes this.
  6. jayhusky

Oops, ok , my bad.