Saddest songs you know

Discussion in 'Music & Sound' started by Glider, Jun 9, 2016.

1. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

There's a new uber-hyped album from a guy who's wife died just recently, so yeah, the challenger appears!

endroll likes this.
  2. Dick Arden

Dick Arden New Member

3. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Do you guys consider the song "99 Red Balloons" by Nena to be sad? At least the ending? I thought it was...

4. endroll

endroll New Member

any of these songs

did i mention these are also my favourite songs ever? sad songs really speak to me

poor phil :,(

5. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

6. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

here you go I think this is the one you want.

7. chirchri

chirchri Member

The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel

8. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Fillmore Jive fits, I think. In general, it's about death of an era (Rock'n'Roll era in this case), and it just soaks in desperation and agony of "things changing inevitably and permanently"

9. DzahnDragon

DzahnDragon New Member

I've always found Nutshell by Alice in Chains to be one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. The group managed to capture such a feeling of loneliness and helplessness, I have a hard time listening to it all the way through most of the time. It's made even worse when you know the story behind their lead singer's death and how much this song foreshadows the circumstances...

10. JustSomeDude84

JustSomeDude84 New Member

11. Cybrid

Cybrid ...

12. Notkastar

Notkastar Notka- What?

I cry every time ;I

Cybrid likes this.
  13. bizzmcsweets

bizzmcsweets Member

You guys have some superior sad songs :'( lol this ones takes me back to my emo and a breakup

14. bizzmcsweets

bizzmcsweets Member

light tear drop likes this.
  15. Connery

Connery New Member

16. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

More than the album version of this song, I actually recommend the slower arrangement from the live album How I Devoured Apocalypse Balloon, although any version qualifies.

Really, David Tibet is a master at writing songs dense with extremely personal details and esoteric literary and artistic allusions which still manage to be emotionally devastating even if you're not 100% familiar with what he's drawing on. Sleep Has His House is particularly emotionally powerful, being an album written in tribute to his late father, a WWII veteran; I especially recommend "Niemandswasser", which draws on Robert Aickman's story of the same name, if you want a really good-bad time.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Pipistrele likes this.
  17. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

I'll stick with this one - the tune is upbeat indeed, but both lyrics and implications within the song are crushing, especially for those who already dealt with the subject. It's about reaction to loss of a loved one (knowing the creator, it is a reaction), but instead of being overly tragic and filled with metaphors, it portrays death in realistic and subdued matter - there's no finesse, higher meaning or justice to it; in the end result it's still just another mundane thing in circle of life, and you're the one who has to deal with personal tradegy and loose ends in your relationship with deceased person that will never be tied up. The aforementioned upbeat tune only underlines that - the person is dead, but the world just moves on as if nothing has happened, and, well, that's how the death works.

18. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

The sound of my soul.