Should hunting be illegal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AustinB, Jul 14, 2017.

?

1. Yes, it should

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It should, but it should be regulated

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. It should only be legal if it's for survival/population control

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. No, it shouldn't

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

I think it should be legal, but only for survival purposes. I don't see the fun in killing innocent animals. Maybe if the area is overpopulated, but besides that, it should only be legal for survival purposes.

2. LilTappleTang

LilTappleTang Edjucated finger artist

I agree with you, hunting should be restricted to those purposes- no matter how cool your man-cave or front porch looks like with those antlers or taxidermied critters or how much cash you make selling such, a simple conclusion is that paintball guns will always be the funner and more reasonable option, put the gun down and get your bros some paintball gear its gonna get messy. Its Nerf or nothin.

(I didnt sleep at all last night please forgive that.)

AustinB likes this.
  3. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Well-Known Member

No,just no.

4. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

avid hunter myself ive explained this a few times

in countries like Australia Hunting is actually necessary because man IS the dominant predator the aboriginals actually killed off all the large predators when they first arrived 40-50k years ago and then you have species of deer that don't have natural predators so man needs to hunt them

not doing this means they would eat all their resources and starve to death using this method there's a few deer species here that are extinct everywhere else in the world

5. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

Hunting Liberals with logic is fun as hell what is wrong with you

Goto a college and use logic on some millenials, holy shit it's like their brain stops working and they forget how to exist like schrodinger from hellsing

Junkerfox and It'sBlitz like this.
  6. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Hunting should have one regulation to it; You eat what you kill or don't hunt at all. Yeah, subsistence hunting. You go take down a Cape Buffalo, better have a big freezer and some good recipes.

Gotta keep in mind, I have firearms older than most of you. I have hunted to fill the larder and I've only had one mount made of a kill, this ugly-arse Wild Boar that damned near took my left leg off at the knee. Named him Henry. He couldn't get through my knee-high leather hunting boots to do any permanent damage but I ended up hobbling around for months after that encounter. He was lousy eating, all except for the bacon we made outa him.

I hunt to fill the larder and I have cooked and consumed meat that most of you would never touch. Stringy-arse jackrabbits, raccoons, possum stew, squirrel in a pie or just roasted over a fire, an alligator snapping turtle (he wasn't that tasty), deer, moose (he wasn't that good either), wild turkeys, etc. Just about any game found in the eleven western states, Oklahoma, Indiana and Wisconsin. And I ate everything I hunted. Nothing was sport about it. Filled my larder, freezer and belly. One year we would have starved but I convinced a friend to allow me to tag along, since I had a tag. Deer in the freezer kept us until I could go back to work.

You'll never see me kill a big cat or an elephant/rhino/hippo. Add zebra to that list, too. He'd be too much like kinfolk. Don't want to eat them. Just my style. Besides, that sport hunting jazz is just for some bad shot allowing a guide to get him into position to make a shot he would have never made on his own. I hunted whitetail with a so-called professional hunter. He didn't hit squat with his hi-dollar Remington Custom in .300 Magnum. Ten shots, ten misses. Yeah. After five days, he was ready to go so that morning, I took my buck tag in about an hour using a Saiga IZ-132 Sporter/iron sights/7.62X39 soviet era ammo. About 100 yards a bit uphill. He tumbled half-way down to me. Mister professional hunter was a bit miffed, too.

7. GreenZone

i don't really agree with that its kind of a hippy idea in my opinion

sometimes Animals need to be hunted for the sake of keeping numbers down destroying an invasive species etc etc do you really expect me to eat a fox infested with mange or a rabbit with Calicivirus no you don't...

also i don't know what you mean by "meats most of you would never touch" venison and rabbit are actually popular game meats world wide and within Australia you can add Kangaroo, Emu and shark to that... and to a lesser extent crocodile camel buffalo goana and so on you're not some bastion of nature mate... i mean personally i eat deer and kangaroo a lot more than i eat beef

8. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

That is what my family would refer to as culling, not hunting. I wouldn't eat that crap, either. I've seen mountain lions turn down a mange-infested fox.

I think you misconstrued what my intent was. I'm not hunting right now because we had to get rid of our chest freezer; it finally quit and the apartment management team, even though they enjoyed the meat I brought them, don't want me having another freezer in the apartment. As soon as we move to Indiana when I retire, I'm off hunting again. And we will eat what I hunt. Not what I join a group to cull, either.

I have ate shark, it's good grilled. I take it every year to family reunion campout. I have ate ostrich and I do like alligator. I will say though Alligator Snapping Turtles are poor eating, for some reason. Let me know when you have possum or raccoon.

AustinB and Zenoth like this.
  9. GreenZone

yeah but that's the thing in Australia we can't hunt native animals that's handled by rangers and professional shooters normally with degrees in environmental science
    hunting for the sake of hunting if important here ecologically too because the deer populations will get out of control when ever i hunt its for conservation or handing in pelts for bounties i don't always eat my kill if i don't i give it to a butcher
    i'm assuming its a mako or thresher? i don't like the taste of predator sharks or crocs to me they taste like salty mud

here we have a number of sharks that are eaten but problem is its all labeled as "flake" so you won't know which shark it is until you try it personally i prefer gummy or wobbigong cause the meats very rich and sweet also melts in your mouth its pretty hard to screw up cooking it

10. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Mind that a lot of sport hunting, particularly in poor/exotic locations, will come with arrangements to give the hunter the trophy while the meat is distributed to locals. So it both literally and figuratively (through fees for the tag etc) feeds the local economy. Long as the meat isn't wasted, and the game is picked out in a responsible manner vis-a-vis conservation and environmental factors, it doesn't really matter who eats it. I've more of a problem with sport fishing than with that fashion of sport hunting.

I wouldn't hunt things myself, but that's more to do with me being squeamish as fuck. Venison is good eats, and I'll be happy to eat me some roe deer if offered.

AustinB likes this.
  11. GreenZone

wait what's wrong with sport fishing?

12. quoting_mungo

Subjecting creatures to what essentially amounts to heavy breath play without their consent, even discounting the ever-present risk of serious injury from a hook lodging wrong. If you fish for food and need to return something that's under size or outright bad eats, that's one thing, but fishing for perfectly good food fish that you know you're just going to throw back, just so you can hold it up for a photo op before doing so, is causing unnecessary suffering for no good reason.

13. GreenZone

Mungo calm down.... fish almost aren't sentient its easy to forget how primitive they actually are

for one thing they don't feel pain they simply "register damage" they lack the organs and parts of the brain to actually feel pain as we know it instead their brain tells them "that thing is damaging you get away from it" actually i don't think they even have a nervous system

marine biologists themselves are against you on this they say that angling and big game fishing is not cruel to the animals

14. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

Nah, even though I'm a vegetarian I believe it should remain legal with proper training because moose and deer meat is bloody delicious

15. Storok

Storok 670 blp

Bo because I love meat also the Good feeling of recoil is stronger then the bad feeling for killing

16. Kit H. Ruppell

Kit H. Ruppell Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

Does anyone else find it fitting that a lot of sport hunters are creationists?

17. GreenZone

literally no one i know who hunts is even remotely religious in any way... actually most of them have univercity degrees in field like IT, Medicine, and Engineering

18. quoting_mungo

I am calm. You asked me why I disapprove of sport fishing and I told you why. Bottom line is when sport fishing you're causing another creature distress for bragging rights. The mechanism by which they register pain/discomfort/damage doesn't change the fact that you are lifting them into an element in which they cannot breathe, and they cannot get away from the source of their discomfort until you choose to let them go.

You can clicker train goldfish, so while they may in some respects be primitive, fish still have the capacity to e.g. learn; I think you should give them a little more credit.

Of course they do. Jellyfish might not, but I've yet to hear about anyone fishing jellies for sport.

The gentleman responsible for releasing wels catfish along with a host of other invasive species into Ebro river doesn't count, since he clearly put his own interest in sport fishing over conservation. :V
    I am sincerely not finding any papers making this conclusion; the only .edu resources I found were at best cautiously neutral-to-negative.

Note that I sincerely have nothing against fishing as a pass-time when followed by bringing home and consuming your catch; it's fishing with the intent of reeling in and releasing the fish for no purpose other than sport that I find unethical. Sport fishing stands in notable contrast to sport hunting in that, as hunters aim to get clean shots that instantly kill the animal, and e.g. "traditional" English fox hunting where the game is run to exhaustion is widely accepted as needlessly cruel, while fishing involves hooking, reeling in (for larger fish especially this may involve exhausting the animal first), and usually holding the fish out of the water for some time, before releasing it if it wasn't too badly hurt by the process.

Hunting for sport without intending to make appropriate use (depending on circumstances this can include sharing the meat with the less fortunate or similar) of meat etc. isn't, in my opinion, okay (culling sick animals or doing environmentally responsible population control is, as Kellan noted, a different matter, though obviously if the meat is still fit for consumption go ahead and consume!), so I fail to see why fishing should be treated differently, especially since fishing (both for personal and commercial purposes) runs a greater risk of harm coming to an animal other than the one you intend to bring down.

19. Dragitar

Dragitar New Member

Then you clearly don't know many hunters. Intelligence and beliefs are completely independant of the desire to hunt; theres no defining statistic or survey that states "people with a higher intelligence and suppressed aetherial belief are more likely to hunt than those that didn't go to college and believe in a God"..

And I'd be really surprised if you asked everyone you meet who hunts "are you religeous?".. doesn't seem relevant at all.

If anything, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any BC religeon that vilifies hunting altogether (maybe forbidding certian animals to be killed though) due to the nature of the times - where hunting was genuinely a requirement to eat and survive.

Also, do you ever use fluent punctuation? I was trying to read your posts and Christ, it kind of threw me off.

Personally feel like theres no big issue with hunting. (Before you start assuming that was me challenging that opinion) It needs to be moderated, to a degree though..
    Outright killing a species without regards to numbers and birth rates can lead to unintentionally killing off a species, which another may have relied on to survive; either killing those off as a result or forcing them to adapt.

But in England, thats something they'll moderate pretty well - game keepers will often leave feed and water, maintain hunting grounds and generalise a population before a formal hunt is allowed on their grounds.

20. GreenZone

i live in a primarily atheist/non practicing christian country soooooo
    mungo mate fish can breath out of water... i'm not going to insult your intelligence and explain how a gill works but they don't suffocate out of water most fish can survive hours outside of water depending on the weather actually a salt water fish would probably die faster outside of the ocean if was raining due to their cells exploding from the lack of salinity in the rain
    nope they do not have a nervous system they don't have a neocortex or c-nociceptors (nerve fibers) meaning they don't actually feel pain they just react to being damaged and before you keep arguing with me i grew up with the beach across the road and my first job in high school was as a lab assistant at a Marine Biology research facility under Melbourne Aquarium which was cool cause the only way to get to the lab was via a hatch and ladder so it felt like a space station or Black Mesa

any way i know a lot about fish

also here's a thing that took me 2 seconds to google
    onlinelibrary.wiley.com: Can fish really feel pain?

also you know facebook started life as www.TheFacebook.edu right?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    AustinB and Ramjet556 like this.