Should hunting be illegal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AustinB, Jul 14, 2017.

?

1. Yes, it should

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. It should, but it should be regulated

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. It should only be legal if it's for survival/population control

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. No, it shouldn't

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

i live in a primarily atheist/non practicing christian country soooooo
    mungo mate fish can breath out of water... i'm not going to insult your intelligence and explain how a gill works but they don't suffocate out of water most fish can survive hours outside of water depending on the weather actually a salt water fish would probably die faster outside of the ocean if was raining due to their cells exploding from the lack of salinity in the rain
    nope they do not have a nervous system they don't have a neocortex or c-nociceptors (nerve fibers) meaning they don't actually feel pain they just react to being damaged and before you keep arguing with me i grew up with the beach across the road and my first job in high school was as a lab assistant at a Marine Biology research facility under Melbourne Aquarium which was cool cause the only way to get to the lab was via a hatch and ladder so it felt like a space station or Black Mesa

any way i know a lot about fish

also here's a thing that took me 2 seconds to google
    onlinelibrary.wiley.com: Can fish really feel pain?

also you know facebook started life as www.TheFacebook.edu right?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    AustinB and Ramjet556 like this.
  2. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

That statement seems . . . kind of out there. Care to cite your source material?
    The shark I get is supposed to be Thresher. Gators from the bayou are tasty, not muddy. I will state that 'Muddy' described that Alligator Snapping Turtle perfectly.

3. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

If your population is at an all time high and you factory farm animals for food, and big companies make clothing out of cotton or fiber, and you can get a job anywhere in the city, then you're less likely to need to hunt for food, furs, or tools than a 1700's village who uses the animal hide, bone, and meat. Granted, it's not like modern people cannot or should not hunt, but the need varies. Sport hunting is still widely done as part of hunting for a dinner, or if a population is too high, and that's perfectly fine. The issue is when people hunt for fun and jeopardize the ecosystem by hunting species which are at a shaky height in their survival, such as seasonal hunting, killing young deer or doe during the spring.

Hunting predatory species for fur you don't need or for the sheer notoriety or high class of it is even more reproachable, such as Fox hunting and wolf hunting. Especially with wolf hunting wiping out a top predatory species causes prey populations to increase, with reintroduction of wolves it brings back balance to the environment.

I think the mass slaughter of dolphins and whales is even more disturbing than deer or Fox or any hunting combined. The fact that people would strand intelligent, predatory pod animals in their groups and simultaneously kill as the others watch is incredibly cruel, they even ignore their cries of pain because it is not of their species, therefore irrelevant. It is a fact that self-aware animals such as dolphins or great apes do in fact have explicit memory of trauma (it is known that one ape described what sounded like a memory of his parent being killed by a hunter). It is my opinion that given the nature of these animals, it's extremely abusive to harm them even for food, unless the unlikely reason that no other resource existed, to hunt them for extra food you don't need because of their nature, almost akin to humanity in their memories, thoughts, and perceptions. (Cant recall and I have no source, but I heard somewhere that ape blood and hunting of primates is what caused aids?)

Other than that, unnescessary hunting of elephants and rhino, killing an entirely large beast only for the one resource of their ivory or horn, is extremely reprehensible. You're decimating intelligent wild animal populations for a profit off of one part of their body. You'd think hunters would at least invest in tranquilizers, but instead they don't give any thought or care to it and wipe out the entire animal. To try to curb that, rhino farms have been made to safely harvest the horns of the animal and keep it alive, though many experts believe it will not actually curb hunting in the wild.

By and large, a lot of people tend to be selfish when it comes to hunting, taking more of and what they do not need. Regulation should exist for that reason alone.

AustinB likes this.
  4. GreenZone

lolwot? factory farming has been outlawed for almost a decade bud

Edit: correction i just found out that its still legal in US/Canada

that angers me way more than it probably should...

WolfNightV4X1 likes this.
  5. WolfNightV4X1

I always buy cage free or free range eggs :/ Not that it matters anyways, but whatever

6. Dragitar

Dragitar New Member

You are aware 'atheism' is a very broad term that still allows someone who identifies as such to believe in a higher power or intelligence?

It's just that you cant regard that higher power or intelligence as a god; and that ultimatley, it'd be pointless trying to adhere to a religeon because theres no logical way for us to know what, if anything, such an intelligence would want.

I just don't really see in what context on a hunt, religeon would become a topic of interest - fair enough once or twice but with EVERYONE you've hunted with? I think that's more you assuming those people dont believe in any kind of higher power over it actually being fact.

I read a census survey not too long ago carried out on 1000 people (i can grab the reference if youre interested at all) - while 48% of them did not believe in God, around 73% acknowledged that they believed that there was either a higher power/intelligence or place after death; admittedly, some cited they felt they believed this because death itself is a frightening prospect and some ideal of hope that it was not the end helped.

7. GreenZone

no that would be an Agnostic...
    you're very odd... how do you think hunting works? you just go with random people you have met on the street?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    WolfNightV4X1 and Ramjet556 like this.
  8. WolfNightV4X1

...actually now that I think of it, it is very weird that hunting is considered a "fun" activity, but it depends on why it is considered fun and what the mindset of the people doing it is.

I mean, I get the recreational factor is likely from going outdoors, being in nature, handling a rifle and being a skilled marksmen, and probably a cultural activity and based on hunter roots, but I'm wondering if there are people out there that genuinely feel it's "fun" to kill animals, as if being dominant and killing a living creature is part of a trophy. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some d-bags who feel that way (Such as European nobles killing foxes on horseback with their dogs giving chase)

Those types of hunters are mainly the ones that are dissappointing. Hunters who have a conscious ability to respect the nature they are a part of and taking from have my seal of approval

9. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

To be honest, the act of taking the shot can be quite an enjoyable adrenaline rush; so if you wanted to be morbidly blunt you really could say it's "genuinely fun to kill animals." The main reason I myself don't hunt is actually because that's the only moment I like at all. The two hours before that are just being bored in the cold, and the next two hours are cleaning the animal.

As for the main question, I have a pretty typical opinion. You should use what you kill/catch, population control is an important issue for some species, and current regulations work pretty damn well as far as I can tell. I do wish spotlighting was less popular than it is, though.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Nah, it's one of the things I do to upset all the snowflakes.

Junkerfox likes this.
  11. GreenZone

i believe that is outlawed in a lot of countries though

a lot of hunting regulations revolve around "unsporting behavior" so things like spotlighting shooting within a certain distance of a road/building going after young bucks/cows are a no no cultures also change from country to country
    take the states and CAN as an example there its legal to hunt cows and bears where as here in Australia we view that as somewhat stupid and unsporting

12. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

Hunting is a good way for population control. It allows us to get some reeeeally tasty wild meat while the animal populations don't fuck themselves over by reproducing way too many.

13. FuzzyMuzz

FuzzyMuzz The Living Shadow

On a rare occasion I sometimes like to go hunting