Site Update Priorities

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by maxgoof, Jul 2, 2017.

1. maxgoof

maxgoof Member

Some time ago (years, in fact) it was asked what the musicians of the site would like to see changed.

The results of that informal poll was that two things stood out:

1) Increasing the maximum upload size from 10mb to 15 or higher.

2) Expanding the Themes in the Music Category to include obviously overlooked genres and other sound possibilities.

We were assured at that time that these were being looked into.

Since then there have been two updates to the species list.

I can understand there possibly not being a change to the maximum upload size, but no change to the Music Themes? I would think changing that would be as easy as an update to the species list.

Why do I get the impression that musicians are second class citizens here?

2. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Administrator Staff Member

Increasing maximum upload size is something we are working towards but is a bit more difficult. Part of the problem is that Fur Affinity's file system was designed, in part, with the concept of small scale. Maybe 10,000 users. Not 1,9 million and counting (with over 25K a month added). To fix and improve larger uploads we need to better structure the file system, and make a few tweaks to the upload system along the way.

Improving music and story-based submissions are very high on my list, but to do so requires a full update of the file-system (and then importing the existing file system to the new one). This will take time, and there has to be a massive amount of checks/balances before do this system. The good news is this is one of the next up-and-coming projects we're working on.

Updating the species and themes list are fairly easy, and something that are in the works right now.

You'll see an update to categories/themes sooner rather than later as they're in definite need of improvements (and I've been making quite a few notes). In the mean time, if you have categories/themes you'd like to see for music feel free to drop them in this thread, and I'll add them to my list.