Sketchfab Integration (3D Viewer as a Submission Type)

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Journeyful, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Journeyful

Journeyful Member

3D is a FASCINATING and UNDER-REPRESENTED medium of expression in the Fandom.

[​IMG]

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I'd really like to see one of the internet's 3D modeler viewers get integrated as a submission type on Furaffinity.

If you give people the ability to browse actual 3D models with the Sketchfab viewer, you're going to create allot of cool business for this subculture. Seriously, If people aren't asking for it, they DON'T KNOW that they want it yet. With VR and AR on the rise, the Fandom has received very interesting avenues for Fursona expression. Here are some reasons why we need to support 3D.

* Inspiring the creation of 3D content will pave the way to more exiting conventions and self expression for commissioners. Imagine Furs getting together to share their anthro themed VR experiences at a convention? Or (coming in some years) Augmented Reality fur-suiting (or something like that)

* You will galvanize talent across the fandom and attract new 3D talent outside of it.

* Commissioners will definitely want a 3D print of their character, or a looping animation of their 3D Character (shareable with sketchfab)

* 3D ref sheets are a HUGE BOON to ANY 2D Artist as they can reference someone's fursona from ANY ANGLE

I mean, COME ON?! :D

The future is here, but Fur Affinity has to do SOME legwork to make a home for it! Let's dive into 3D NOW by acknowledging 3D talent on the site. I am absolutely whiling to donate to make this happen. You can get in touch with me at journeyfulart@gmail.com

Examples:

Sketchfab Models:

sketchfab.com: Anthro Wolf by 7PLUS - 3D model

sketchfab.com: Sai Model - [Digital Journey] by Journeyful - 3D model

sketchfab.com: kahze by Journeyful - 3D model

Sketchfab integration on WEASYL:

JoshCat Sketchfab — Weasyl

sketchfab integration on artstation:

ArtStation - Sketchfab StarWars Contest (WIP), Nikolay Tsys

ArtStation - Captain Fortune, Yekaterina Bourykina

About Myself
    I am a former Insomniac Games environment artist, worked on three Ratchet & Clank games - currently run a game studio called DreamSail Games. I love to paint all the time, but 3D is extremely important to me and I am literally dying to see more of it exist in this fandom.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. MEDS

MEDS Non-medicinal Foxicorn

3. It would be a huge boon to have Sketchfab support on this site. There are a lot of really talented 3D artists who'd benefit immensely by being able to show off their work from all angles.

Journeyful likes this.
  4. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

This is actually a really good idea.

In theory FA would need to make minimal changes to the upload system to cater for this, for example those changes could be;
    • New upload category
    • Upload category leads to filtered textbox which user puts URL of uploaded model into, box is then checked against a whitelist to verify it is a SketchFab URL (this avoids malicious embeds)
    • Info is put into database as text.
    • Submission page gets updated to include SketchFab embeds, of which the URL is grabbed from the DB and used to dynamically fill into the page.

As for group pages, I can't really see that happening until "Phoenix" is finished, but dev-notes on that have been very sparse of late, so personally I'd assume the project is either stalled or progressing slowly. (This is my assumption and may not be accurate)

Journeyful likes this.
  5. darien

darien Coffee Tiger

It would be nice, also very unlikely to happen.

It should also be noted as a word of caution to 3D artists that it is quite possible (and fairly trivial) to rip 3D models from SketchFab, which is one of the reasons I removed an older version of my Renamon model from SketchFab as I've chosen not to share the model itself. However, If you plan to share the model anyway, this is a non-issue.

With that flaw in mind I still agree that SketchFab is a wonderful way to present your models (depending of course on what you plan to do with them) and it would be lovely to see it more widely supported, not only on these forums but on the FA MainSite. I've personally put in a request to a few other sites to support SketchFab (including Patreon) however, most responses can be summed up as 'don't hold your breath'. With FA so keen to avoid doing any actual improvement I realistically don't expect SketchFab to be supported anytime soon, to spite how trivial doing so may actually be.

6. Journeyful

Journeyful Member

I have edited this suggestion to streamline it's content towards sketchfab only, support links to sketchfab models, and note my interest in donating to make it happen.

7. darien

darien Coffee Tiger

To spite some typographical errors that I wish I could fix for you- your edit does a good job of making your point. Here's hoping it gets heard.

8. Journeyful

Journeyful Member

Made a tweet about this topic linking FA's twitter. Please try to do what you can to spread the word about this, it's our shot to get it to happen.

Ill do what I can to show it around - thanks for sharing your own blurb below.

Please note me with any typogrpahical changes you would like to see made and I will implement. Thx

9. ijoe

ijoe Member

bitch_please.png

(Not saying it's impossible, but FA doesn't exactly have a stellar track record of getting non-vital features integrated, especially if they're low demand. I'm not even sure if support for RTF text files was ever implemented.)

Edit: also, FA's annual convention is coming up next month and there's probably still a flood of issues from the recent database breach/password reset. So don't expect anything within the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  10. psychonautic

psychonautic "It's fun to stay alive"

If they cant make it submit-able, at least make it so you can embed the viewer in the description.

11. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

Given various file size issues with 3D models (some can be reasonable and some I've seen are huge in terms of storage). Uploading to the server may be an issue, but I can seriously see a way to get the site to support SketchFab, even in the method that Weasyl uses. In fact, I'm working on a feature proposal document to submit to the staff along with how they can implement it, with minimal issues to the current database structure.