Social Intelligence Test

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lcs, May 15, 2017.

1. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

socialintelligence.labinthewild.org: Social Intelligence Test

Feel free to look up the words if you don't know what they mean, it's not considered cheating.

I recognise that this may be of poor taste since this relates to a touchy subject, but I thought it could be interesting for us to do this test nonetheless. Normally I don't have much faith in online tests and quizzes, but I've heard that this one is quite good at determining whether one has autism or not (though I have also heard that it's often not very consistent) and is supposedly used by actual researchers as well as (I think) clinics. This in mind, I'm curious at what results people get, particularly from those who have been diagnosed with autism since I want to know whether it measures them correctly for our forum. Though, if nothing else, this could at least create an interesting forum thread.

For context on your results according to what I've read:

30 or greater = Very good at recognition of emotion by facial features
    26-28 = Average person
    22 = Average person with high functioning autism (Though based on a small sample size)
    22 or below = Not very good at recognition of emotion by facial features​

However, it should be mentioned that, of course, these results cannot be 100% accurate and this quiz seems to have a lot of papers that suggest it's inconsistent; so if you think it measured you incorrectly, there's probably no need to freak out. Factors, like tiredness, quality of screen used and gender can affect the results as well.

I got a 29/36, which is in the average range I think.

Typical results. In the original experiments with this test, the average score for British adults was 26. The average result for students was 28. However, individual results ranged from 17 to 35 as many factors may affect performance: the lighting, the quality of your screen, your emotional state, fatigue, not to mention knowledge of the English language.

Social intelligence and team-based problem solving. Recent research published in Science in 2010 demonstrated that there is a link between how well team members perform on this test and how well the team performs on complex problem solving tasks. In fact, the overall "social intelligence" (or "collective intelligence" as it is referred to in the paper) was more than five times more important to the team success than the average IQ of the team members!

Besides this test, there were two other factors that were found to be important for team success: how equally team members contributed to the conversations (teams where one person dominated the conversation performed less well than those where all members contributed roughly the same), and the number of women on the team (yes, the more women, the better the team did! Sorry guys...).

If you want to hear this from the horse's mouth, here is the paper:

Woolley, A. W., Chabris, C. F., Pentland, A., Hashmi, N., & Malone, T. W. (2010). Evidence for a Collective Intelligence Factor in the Performance of Human Groups. Science, 330(6004), 686-688.

Reading the Mind in the Eyes and Autism. This test was originally developed by prof. Simon Baron-Cohen at the University of Cambridge as part of his and his team's research on autism. Adults with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism scored 22 on average on this test. Again, large individual differences were observed. There is big overlap between the results of typical adults and adults with Asperger Syndrome.

The paper describing the version of the test used in this study is here:

Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., Hill, J., Raste, Y., & Plumb, I. (2001). The "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" Test revised version: a study with normal adults, and adults with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, and Allied Disciplines, 42(2), 241-251.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Come on, everybody has autism in this fandom, you don't need silly tests to know that :rolleyes:

3. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

27/36. 'Dat averageness.

Old Fashioned likes this.
  4. 22/36
    A lot of those would have been easier if I could have seen their mouths. But I understand that not seeing the full face is part of the test.

Zenoth likes this.
  5. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

31/36

A lotttta the eyes I saw in the test had some negative emotions goin on.

Zenoth likes this.
  6. Zenoth

Zenoth The average chipfox, doing chipfox stuff.

32/36, if I could see the whole face and body language I think I could maybe even pull off a 34

7. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

29/36, I would have suspected worse. Some were pretty ambiguous. I don't think I need the mouth so much as the motion even if it's a 1 second GIF holding the expression steady.

9. Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned Active Member

I got 27/36 so A for average?

10. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

...I cant imagine I'll score well since Im awful at perceiving facial expressions and meaning in real human faces, but, ah...maybe that's just all in my head and a test will prove me wrong

Sadly I will not know anytime soon since mobile will not allow me to take said test

11. Fishsticks03

Fishsticks03 New Member

22/36, although I know I have autism, so...

Lcs likes this.
  12. zachery980

zachery980 silly fox

They should bring back led paint. That way these tests are no longer needed.

13. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Just fiddled around with it a bit and it seems that it works on my phone if I request the desktop version of the site.

If you're still up for it, then this could potentially be the solution for you.

14. Erinpuppy

Erinpuppy Commission Me

okay I'm taking this. For the record I recently learned about autism and I'm like 99% sure that I am on the spectrum. I can't afford to go to a physiologist but the evidence from my infancy through my childhood and now in my adult life screams autsim or something. For so long I struggled with myself, not knowing why I seemed very.. delayed emotionally and socially and I have ADHD and sensory disorder and disassociate aswell. so it just all came together. Of course, I am a girl, so it goes widely unnoticed in quiet little girls.

As I am taking this quiz, I am noticing a few things:
    1. I've studied these eyes.. I am an artist and I learned how to draw emotions from watching movies with animated animals like Bambi, and I recognize the patterns I use in my art.
    2. multiple choice is making this a lot easier. When I look at the eyes by themselves, I feel lost, and also uncomfortable. But by using the process of elimination, I choose the answer that best fits the eyes. (if only people in real life had floating emotions around their head!)
    3. Every time I have to choose the answer "friendly" I cringe really badly and feel uncomfortable and intimidated because that's how the eyes make me feel. but I see the cheek bones and figure they must be smiling.

Your score is 25

15. AsheSkyler

AsheSkyler Feathered Jester

The autistic eyeball test? Done this thing a few times. I scored 34/36 this go around, and tend to score right around there, but, being a portrait and comic artist, I got a wee advantage to cancel out my other problems. Tilt of the head, furrow or arch of the eyebrow, close of the eyelids, and direction of the eye. Basic mathematics and social programming.

For some Aspie testing fun, AspieTests.org has a bunch of them.

16. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

I got a solid 28. >.<

17. jan69

jan69 New Member

My result were 32/36....

18. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Yeah I've read before about how women have a significantly lower prevalence of autism, so it probably does go unnoticed more often.

Anyways I'm far from being an expert, but there could be other factors or reasons for having similar symptoms to those on the autism spectrum. Some people seem to be just less good with social interaction than others despite no mental disorder. I mean, I used to be pretty shy for my primary and most of my secondary education days, and even though I'm still very young, I've sort of grown out of it. Not trying to sound patronising here, but perhaps something similar will happen to you.

Though having said that, the sensory disorder and slower social development seem to be very common symptoms based on what I've read.

What score did you get the first time you did it? Also, you said that you had some problems - does this mean that you have been diagnosed with autism in the past?

19. 2/36 if there was a I don't know button

I logged in just to say, wow this is impressive. I had no idea you can tell how the person feels just by looking at their eyes. All I could tell was the people in that test were looking at something, people have different eye shapes and different ways of looking (i.e some turn their eyes, some their head, some do both when looking at something at their side). So it would be very helpful if all those pictures were of the same person making different facial expression. I always thought you have to look at the whole picture to tell how someone feels.

20. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

Your score is 28 out of 36.
    Your score is lower than 46% of all participants.

Okay... I'm not going to lie- most of the photos were underexposed and/or highly pixelated, which made identifying a good number of the emotions difficult as it was impossible to discern how dilated the eyes were. I know, this is a cheap method; but I had to learn SOMEHOW with my Asperger's in play...

21. Jackqua

Jackqua New Member

I just took the test. 28/36

I kinda wanted to be extra special and have a high score.
    Besides the scores, I think those pictures of the eyes make good reference on capturing certain emotions.

22. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

24/36. It's ok, I guess .з.

23. Erinpuppy

Erinpuppy Commission Me

hehe.. i don't know how old you are but I just turned 26 so not so young T.T
    I hate being one to self diagnose myself.. i swear I'm not a hypochondriac
    it's simply the conclusion to the evidence i have, and i'm not an expert either :(
    knowing that i might actually be autistic this whole time did make me feel better about all my questions like why was i so different, why would i not speak in school, why was i so quiet as a baby, why did i not have a concept of friends until i was 11 years old, why could i not relate to other girls, and why is life so hard, why do i say the wrong things and cry because i can't understand when people are sarcastic and feel confused and lied to..
    but it doesn't bother me that i have these problems because I have a good bf who takes care of me now, stress went down a lot easier when he started taking care of me

Yvvki, Zenoth and Lcs like this.
  24. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

Is it bad that anime taught me more on how to talk to other people then real people? lol.

25. Wolveon

Wolveon I swear I will not kill anyone

I can't get past the eyes, those pictures are so creepy lol.