Suggestions For Drawing Tablets?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by creamlapine, Nov 8, 2017.

1. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Can anyone offer any suggestions for cheap drawing tablets that show the image you are working on on the tablet itself rather than just on your PC screen?

I cant really use a mouse to draw because I cant move it as precisely as I want, and I wouldn't be able to use the common tablets that are just pads that you move a pen on while the image is only on your PC monitor. I'd like something that is more like drawing with pen and paper, but not something that costs a huge amount as I am mostly just looking to mess around with it some rather than becoming a serious artist.

Alternatively, is it possible to use drawing programs on normal tablets?

Please Note: I can NOT get used to the types that only display on a monitor, please do not suggest them because I specifically said I wouldn't be able to use them. I am only looking for options where I can use a pen/stylus to draw directly on an image.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

There are several, I've been shopping for several weeks myself.

What price range and features do you need?

3. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Preferably $200 or less if possible, as mentioned I don't really have art skills so its just to essentially doodle with.

As for features, would be good if it worked with graphics programs on PC, other than that as long as you can view the image on it I don't mind much.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  4. -..Legacy..-

They are just an output display with input capabilities, so its pretty much no issue aside from resolution.

There are several sub $200 (even sub $100) Chinese off-brands on EBay. I can't speak for their quality or issues, but find a model and search for reviews on Google. Consequently, you may occasionally find used units from name brand manufacturers.

5. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

I have a yiynova, its like a cintiq but instead of costing $1,000+ it will run you $400-$600. Really good deal if you want the on-screen drawing experience with a more affordable cost, assuming you have a few hundred to drop on it, it's very worth it!

6. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Yeah unfortunately for me its unlikely that I will be using it to draw and sell art, so its unlikely to pay for itself that way. Anything more than $200-$250 is too much for how much I will be using it.

7. -..Legacy..-

It might be worth getting a regular input tablet of higher quality. Moreso, if it's just occasional use.

8. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

What do you mean by regular input?

9. -..Legacy..-

A non-display tablet, Like a Wacom Bamboo. Draw there, use existing computer display. Takes some getting used to, but you'll get much higher quality.

10. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

I use the medium wacom tablet.

us-store.wacom.com: Intuos Art

You can look at my art in my signature. (under my post)

Also drawing tablets and normal tablets are completely different things. Drawing programs won't have the same affect on a normal tablet.

However drawing programs will work amazingly with a drawing tablet!

11. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Unfortunately as I mentioned, that kind of tablet wont work for me, if I cant look down and see both the drawing and the hand (as if I were drawing on paper) then it will be like I am blind and trying to draw. I would need to have the image displayed on the tablet itself. For me those kind of tablets would be like throwing a dart while blindfolded and hoping to hit the board let alone the bullseye.

As for drawing programs on a normal tablet, I was thinking it would be more like using a drawing program on a PC except with a touch screen instead of a mouse.

12. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Sadly I already explained that it wont work for me, I cant get used to it. The moment I took the pen off the tablet the picture would be ruined, I would never be able to get it back into the right spot without a lot of UNDO. That's why I was asking for options that do display it.

13. Yvvki

Uhm no, it will work like a mouse except better. It will take a little to get use to but I can assure you that it's really simple. You're not suppose to look at the drawing tablet, you look at the computer screen. Do you look at the mouse as you're using it on the computer??? Do you not have a computer, and just rely on non-drawing-tablets to do everything online?

I mean yea there are drawing tablets that show you the screen but they are not for beginners at all.

www.huiontablet.com: Huion GT-220 v2 Pen Monitor

14. MortemArts

MortemArts New Member

I personally enjoy Wacom products, I use a Wacom Intuos

15. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

No I don't look at the mouse, I look at the cursor on the screen. However there is no cursor on the tablet. On paper I can look and see a line there and put the tip of the pencil right on that line, but with a tablet that only displays on a monitor there is no line there, I would have to blindly place the pen down onto it and watch where it touches on the image on the monitor. Using a mouse would be better than that for me, but I have already said that using a mouse isn't effective for me either since I cant make precise movements with it.

Now please stop, I don't want to be rude but I have already said that normal tablets that do NOT display the image on the tablet will NOT work for me. You may be able to get used to it, but I cannot. That is why I asked for options that actually display on the tablet.

Yeah I looked at some of those, but for those it seems the ones that display images on the tablet are more expensive than I can afford. Would be different if I was going to be using it to make and sell art, but I don't have the skills for that.

16. -..Legacy..-

No, it's not blind. Before it hits, you slightly hover the pen, and the mouse pointer moves to that location. You then press on the pad to start.

17. Yvvki

Ah see I think you confused a normal tablet with a drawing tablet because there is a courser.
    I can prove that in this video I made in 2016.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  18. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Look I don't want to be rude, but my very first post I specifically said that I couldn't use those. If I cannot look at the image and see the pen moving against it then I CANT do it. Just because YOU can does NOT mean everyone can. That is why I specifically mentioned tablets that display the image on them.

If you told someone that you didn't like spicy food would you like it if people kept insisting you try spicy food saying "you'll get used to it"?

19. -..Legacy..-

Well, a full display tablet like you require usually start around $300usd new.

You're only option is used at that price point, so I'd be scouring CL and Ebay daily.

20. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Is craigslist only for the US? I'm Canadian, never hear anyone around here mention it but I hear about it from the US.
    I did check ebay, but I didn't know what tablets would be good other than some Huion and Wacom ones. (And sites like Ebay and Amazon are annoying in that I look for tablets and wind up getting hundreds of results for accessories... god I wish they would do something about that)

21. -..Legacy..-

CL is used in the US, and my lack of Canuck knowledge prevents me from knowing what you have available.

If you have to have a tablet, you're unfortunately going to not have the ability to be picky for $200.

I'd recommend saving a bit more, and getting a better range of options to choose from.

22. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

That's fine, just didn't think it was useful here.

I don't have to have one, I just wanted to get one because I will need to do some basic art for games I am making and currently it takes me a lot longer because I have to use my mouse which I cant be very precise with, meaning I have to redo stuff multiple times until I get it right.

I'll have to see if I can find the right search term to see if normal tablets (like an iPad rather than a drawing tablet) can be used with an drawing program since that would be basically the same thing. Though I would assume the touch screen on them wouldn't be as good.

23. -..Legacy..-

Galaxy Tablets are known for good input, they are going to be cheaper than the IPad equivalents. Plus you don't have to mess with iTunes. Then you just Bluetooth it over.

24. creamlapine

creamlapine Member

Oh yeah, I wont touch apple products, but I didn't know the name of any android or windows tablets.

I'll have to look more, but google is such a pain in the butt lately. I did a search for "songs similar to this song" and it just gave me results for songs by the same artist. Which was useless when the artist had rock songs, country songs, etc.

25. Yvvki

If you told me you don't like Chicken because it's spicy and I told you to try the sweet and sour instead of the red hot, then yea try the sweet and sour.

If i'm telling you that you can see the courser on a drawing tablet then you should at least try to see what I'm talking about. Because I NEED to see the courser myself to draw anything. I can't draw blindly, hell I don't know anyone personally that can.

If you are confusing a drawing tablet, and a tablet. That's not my problem but don't just assume they work the same way. >.<;

As for the ones that you need to draw directly on. Those are usually way more expensive.