Suggestions for the species list?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by caitikoi, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Where's the love for the humble antelope

2. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Antelope, you say? Tell me of this delicious treat!

Simo and Wakboth like this.
  3. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Well ah believe it comes from South Africa and it eats rodents flies n koalas for a livin

4. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

Antelope is on there, under "Bovid - Antelope"

5. Dragoneer

Yeah, but how many people are really going "Where's all my Bovids at?" when they look for species. We are looking at modifying the list, and have some notes written down to try to filter down things in a more natural flow (e.g. "What are users looking for?" not "What do WE THINK users are looking for?")

6. jayhusky

True, but in all fairness, I never wrote the list.
    I read the users question as, "where is it/why isn't it on there", so I just opted to note it was actually on the list.

7. Dragoneer

I wrote the list as it stands on FA. What seemed like a good idea at the time turned out to be... not so great in retrospect.

8. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

The dinosaur list is confusing, because it is divided into 'theropod' and 'sauropod', but there are dinosaurs which belong to neither of these groups, like the ornithischians.

The fundamental split between dinosaurs that most palaeontologists recognise is between Ornithischian 'bird hipped' and Saurischian 'lizard hipped' dinosaurs.

9. jayhusky

Oh I know, and fair enough to be looking at bringing it more up to date and easier to work with.

10. Dragoneer

Dinosaurs will be merged back into one group since most people don't know the difference, and it just makes more sense that people want to look up dinosaur art in general.

Fallowfox likes this.
  11. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Dinosaurs will never replace the Dino Nuggets though

12. Wakboth

Wakboth Member

Guinea pigs are missing, too. This pernicious anti-cavyism has gone on too long!

13. Ketren

Ketren Member

Could there be a category for mythical creatures? Mythical > Dragon, Mythical > Gryphon etc.

14. Stratelier

Stratelier Active Member

Look harder.

15. MaverickHunterDBoy

MaverickHunterDBoy Maverick Hunter D-Boy reporting!

For the Exotic Species, how about something like Fairy. Maybe either call it "Fairy", "Faerie", or even "Fae" would be a good Exotic species to list.

16. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

Anyone who has been to a big convention lately will tell you that there are Sabertooths EVERYWHERE! I have seen cons where they were more common than wolves. How about taking Sabers out of the "Other" category and give them their own listing?

17. Ketren

Ketren Member

Wondering if Droid/Robot might be considered a species...

MaikeruNezumi likes this.
  18. Kuro

Kuro "Once a Furry, Always a Furry"

there's not enough deers in my opinion x3

19. Pee Rex

Pee Rex A big, beautiful dinosaur

I have a few suggestions for the species list:

1) Favor generality over specificity, there are so many dissections of things I never draw and so few options for the things I do.
    2) Perhaps offer an additional textbox for "other" so users can write something in. A lot of work, I know, but you might get some useful diagnostics rather than guessing.
    3) Change "Kaiju/Monster" back to "Monster" and just add the species "Kaiju". I draw a bunch of monsters and precisely zero of them are Kaiju

20. Stratelier

Stratelier Active Member

1 and 3 - Precisely, "kaiju" means specifically "giant city-destroying-sized monster". Godzilla. Pacific Rim. etc.