Talk of anime.

Discussion in 'TV, Video & Film' started by Duality Jack, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ElectricBlue1989

ElectricBlue1989 Living a Boy's Adventure Tale

One of the last car animes (or just about any anime) to be drawn old-school-style was the following:

éX-Driver:
    [​IMG]

The image above was my introduction to the series while browsing the 'anime' section on a video-rental store a long time ago. Do you know how mind blowing it was for a car-nut kid to find anything animated about cars, besides Wacky Racers and Speed Racer? And in such detail to boot!!

[​IMG]

In a (not-too) distant future, were people consider automobiles and driving to be obsolete and would rather be driven by 4-wheeled automated machines, it's the éX-Drivers, with skills and conventional machinery, that keep said machines in check when they go haywire.

[​IMG]

It's only 6 episodes. The one I was a little disappointed was the episode 4. Double entendre, unnecessary exhibitionism ruins what could have been a great episode where the motorcycle and the éX Rider shines. In the episode's defense, the end-credits songs got slightly tweaked to honor the éX Riders.

[​IMG]

Yes, there was a movie, but sadly, the animation is in that anime CGI. I got the movie before I got the DVDs of the series.

[​IMG]

True story, I bought 'em dirt cheap used from a Blockbuster in a nearby town, since it seems they were nixing most of the anime (BOO!! No wonder they're losing revenue!!). I lucked out and found both volumes. Even with a little sun-bleach, they were in good condition.

[​IMG]

2. DragonFU

DragonFU The Legend of FU

I'm assuming it's the most awesome thing ever until I watch it and form an opinion.

3. Batty Krueger

Batty Krueger Fuzzy Buddy

Dead leaves was pretty interesting to say the least. I also bought Steam Boy and My Neighbor Totoro a few years back and still havnt watched either.

4. DragonFU

DragonFU The Legend of FU

I watched Dead Leaves the day before yesterday, I found it hard to watch because of the combination of art style and strong black shading. I liked it and would probably like it more if I was in a place and mood to watch something so obscure. Glad I saw it nonetheless.

5. ElectricBlue1989

Of course, I gotta add this one:

Zoids: Century Zero

[​IMG]

Like Zoids, I still got my toys of these series: :)

Transformers: Robots In Disguise / Car Robots
    [​IMG]

Back when Transformers didn't garner the attention of every 5-year old and amnesia-laden Gen X-ers, during a period that the Japanese made the animated series (which was longer than what you might think), this somehow relatively-known series marked the return of vehicle-based Autobots (though the enemies were still stuck on Beast Wars/Beast Machines) using traditional animation... and the rekindling of my love for Transformers.

I gotta get those DVDs, irregardless whether its the original Japanese version, or the English dub version I grew up with.
    I never got to see the ending (blast you, Fox Kidz).

6. Arshes Nei

Arshes Nei Masticates in Public

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless

I have been watching Nura Rise of the Yokai Clan, and Blue Exorcist.

I also watched the new Berserk movie subbed, but I can't wait to see it dubbed. The voice cast for Berserk had the best out takes. I wanted to get that box set again just for that. I think the CG is kinda stuff and obvious in the movie but beware they improved it a bit in the second movie.

7. ElectricBlue1989

Well, at least someone read my post.
    But thanks anyway for pointing that out. I wouldn't have known.

Ladies VS. Butlers!
    [​IMG]

I believe this is one of those animes that you either love or hate. Love if you're into fanservice, hate if you don't.

I became aware of this anime when it was in the 'recommended' section when reading an old manga I thought was long gone. After being intrigued with the plot (synopsis here) and confirming that the series was complete (manga no, anime yes), I read it. The few manga chapters available anywhere were about the same level as the Love Hina manga (what I remember) in terms of fanservice.

Then I looked for pics of the series. Yikes.

I haven't watched anime of any kind in awhile, so I was shocked at the amount of skin shown. When did this happen... I think it was done partly to better "hide" the obvious token female-impersonating-a-boy.
    Due to that, I watched the whole series in one sitting during Election Day, because the house was notoriously empty. The art-style grew on me. Couldn't get used to some of the voices.

It has all the ingredients you'd expect of this kind of series:
    - A rich blue-eyed blonde with curled pig-tails (a continuous joke is made about 'em, which is about time an anime did!)
    - A bumbling big-breasted chick (pitiful)
    - Too-dense leading male protagonist
    - Token exhibitionist chick
    - A summer-getaway romance episode
    - Girls' shower scenes
    - Token girly beauty-obsessed pretty-boy (thankfully, very little is shown about him)
    - Love rivalry!
    - Token otaku
    - Bordering school-style education in a huge, jaw-dropping institute
    - Clash of social status

Despite its envelope-pushing (you wouldn't believe what they used eels for!), this ecchi romance-comedy did have its moments; the best character being the scheming short-haired brunette that gets under blondie's skin and the boy in predicaments. Those episodes that I could barely watch involved the 19-year-old-in-2nd-grader-body lolita.

The ending isn't to many peoples' tastes (which anime ending isn't?), because it seems the studio was banking on a second-season (there was definitely meat on the bone of this series for more stories). But it's been a couple of years already and no follow-up. Not even it's 6 specials/omakes softcore pr0nz 3½ minute-max episodes (there's just no other way to describe them) are that known, for better or worse.

But if Initial D can come back after all these years is limbo for another season, who knows?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Biggest buttplug ever

Right now watching the second season of Black Lagoon. Before that finished Madoka Magica and Darker than Black.

I certainly prefer my anime more mature and dark.

9. XoPachi

XoPachi Active Member

Not amazing, but I'm a massive nut for this game so when I saw an anime I was shitting myself at every second. A Gradius anime is the last hing I expected even if it's been referenced in a lot of other anime...even a shitty hentai.
    [​IMG]

10. Taralack

Taralack Hit 'em right between the eyes

I have no patience for anime any more, aside from ones I have nostalgic attachments to. Too slow, most plots are dumb, I've come to hate the art style...

11. benignBiotic

benignBiotic Banned

Just started watching Shirokuma Cafe (Polar Bear Cafe). Pretty entertaining! Especially for one with a propensity toward anthropomorphic animals. The animation's so pretty, it's a nice relaxing show.

[​IMG]

12. I liked a lot of Manga licensed anime from the late 80's/early 90's. My favorite would definitely have to be Violence Jack.
    Violence Jack was basically a run of the mill ultra violent post apocalyptic anime, centering around a 17 foot man that delivers vigilante justice with a giant jackknife.
    The best part of this series, in particular, is the quality English dub.

[video=youtube;gG4OkR4KULo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG4OkR4KULo[/video]

13. Twylyght

Twylyght Member

I did enjoy Persona 4: The Animation. They tried to stay true to the source material and there were some really funny parts in there.

14. CynicalCirno

CynicalCirno Dance to the Heartbeat

Have you watched the fan movie made of it?
    Cromartie has a perfect sense of humor. Honey Boy will never be ashamed.

I recommend you to keep watching Tiger and Bunny.

At first I thought it would be too strange for me, but it isn't bad at all. Very relaxing.

As for my own taste - my absolute favorite shows, or more correctly, the visual novels the shows are based on, are all Nitro+ related novels. That includes the two famous Chaos;Head(Terrible anime, amazing novel) and the Steins;Gate(Sub groups kind of destroyed the good 2chan jokes) novels, as well as the soon to come Robotics ; Note novel which isn't so related to Nitro+ anymore.
    Below that, I put shows that I've had a liking for them in the past and in the present(Some of them are actually pretty bad): Bonen no Xamdou, Initial D, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Baccano, Kaiji... and more.
    At the end are the comedy and parody shows like Cromartie, Joshiraku, Kore Wa, etc...(With more 2chan or nicovideo oriented jokes)

15. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy Active Member

Tried out Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt, felt so nauseous by the end of the 2nd episode I had to stop. It seems relatively interesting, but the animation is way too much for my eyes/head to handle.

Finished Ao No Exorcist, and loved it. Wish there was more of it.

Finished Makai Sensi Disgaea and liked it, a little sad at the ending and would like to see a spin-off mini-series or something.

Working on Baka & Test next, then going to try Guilty Crown, Durarara, Ouran High School, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shtai! (?) whatever the fuck that is, haha. I got a bunch of random ones.

16. benignBiotic

benignBiotic Banned

Yeah same here. Couldn't stick it out.

17. Ninaiso

Ninaiso A Mix of Many

Ah well my top favourite would have to be Hetalia. Very excited for season five! A lot of my favourite strips are going to be animated and the new style looks good. I hope the animation is improved and more fluent and alive.

I've watched a lot of mainstream like Naruto and Bleach but haven't been keeping up with them much, so many fillers just give me the manga man.

I watched the first series of FMA and I'm watching FMA: Brotherhood. A tad rushed but still good. Oh Kekkaishi is a nice one too, I also really loved the Death Note anime. It's very interesting! I watch many more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

18. benignBiotic

benignBiotic Banned

It's official I'm a full blown Shirokuma Cafe fan (clearly). It's so sweet, it has some really great and funny characters, the artwork is pretty. Love it.

19. AdelynBlair

AdelynBlair Adelyn the Dutch Angel Dragon

Kyo Kara Maoh! is one of my favorite series.