Tell me an Interesting Fact About Yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shane McNair, May 1, 2017.

1. It'sBlitz

It'sBlitz Pilot in training

When I was 8 I flew from Utah (USA) to Basel (Switzerland) by my self to visit my family.

2. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

By their logic, if you're not those things, you are in fact an oppressed minority.

3. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

We won't go into the details, just to keep this from turning into a theological discussion.

I am an ordained priest. Yeah.

4. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted Arwing pilot

Are you really? That's actually both very interesting and surprising. I can't imagine that there are very many furries out there who are members of the clergy.

5. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Another fact about me: I'm 28.
    gasps
    I'm an old fuck. But I'd rather be an old fuck than a young fuck. :3

6. Noctomnis

Noctomnis New Member

I have an identical twin. =)

Dongding likes this.
  7. Trashsona

Trashsona Well-Known Member

Shall I fetch you a cane for those old bones of yours :p.
    30 is no where near old, about as ridiculous as If I were to complain about my age.

Yakamaru likes this.
  8. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

You make me sick... :V

Yakamaru likes this.
  9. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

:3 intensifies

10. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

late 20's isnt so bad, though it's old for me, too :p

As a kid my ideal age was 16, I still stand by that now, or maybe 18 or 19 instead. Something about youthfulness I admire, don't particularly enjoy oldness but that's not something I can really worry about, I guess, haha! Luckily I've always looked very young for my age from middle to high school and beyond. Im twenty something I could pass for a teen still, lol

Yakamaru likes this.
  11. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Ditto on the scariness of jumanji, that and the goonies scared me as a kid, lol.

I saw Linkin Park in concert too, though probably not as fun as the time you saw them :p But it was a tour with Rise Against in it too after they released their new album Black Market which made me so happy.

Regarding concerts, I also saw Breaking Benjamin...twice. The second time I bought the Dark before Dawn album and got to go backstage after to have the band sign it, fistbumped each member of the band and said it was a good show because couldnt think of things to say it was quick and easy, haha!

12. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

I was furry before I became a priest. Now, think about keeping my private life separated from my professional life. Not easy. I was also an LEO at the time so that added another complication. Yeah, major conflicts in my life.

13. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

i can handle, toss and even catch objects (mainly cat toys LOL) with my bare toes on both feet better than my non-dominant hand! ironically, due to medical issues i have problems with balance and leg movement but except for that one time i decimated a livingroom lamp and destroyed the carpet beneath, i can pick up, kick, flick and huck a plush tiger to my pet clear across the apartment with pin-point accuracy. i also juggle pillows, gather laundry, move cables, open drawers and pet my cat with my feet.

if i even tried half that shit with my left hand, i'd have a lot more broken windows, dented furniture and stained carpets.

(copy'n'pasted from another thread. i realized this is probably a much better place for it.)

14. OakenheelTheWolf

OakenheelTheWolf Active Member

My first kiss was when i was in like preschool and a kid dared me and a friend to kiss... i had no idea at the time kissing was a sign of love XD (and the person i kissed was a girl Lol)

15. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Turning 768 human years old this year... Xelel has way different timey wimey stuff than Earth does. Yall live way too fast.

16. Fall

Fall Member

Fun fact about me: I have TMJ from yawning too wide when I was 15. Most stupid way to get TMJ ever :( I will have awful arthritis of the head when I'm older, lmao.

17. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Interesting fact - I gather all the personal information from this thread and sell it to advertisers and doxx collectors for a lot of money .u.

Lcs and Alstren like this.
  18. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

You villain!

19. Shane McNair

Okay, here's another interesting fact about myself that I somehow didn't think of until just recently: I once met a man who would later murder his estranged wife and commit suicide just a few months after I met him. The nature of the murder was appalling enough that it briefly caught the attention of the national news media.

The story you are about to read is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent (and out of respect for the family).

Back in the spring of 2007, during my sophomore year in high school, I was a cadet in the school's JROTC program. On occasion, the instructors would invite military recruiters from each of the services to come in and talk to us about the military and their respective branch of the service. One of these recruiters was Daniel Jarvis, a 36 year old Staff Sergeant in the Army National Guard.

I still remember the day when SSG. Jarvis came in and gave the class his talk about the Army, and the National Guard in particular. I can still remember his appearance, with his high and tight cut and his UCP digital pattern ACUs. He seemed to be a very good representative of his organization as he stood before the class, taking us through the usual recruiter spiel about different jobs in the Army, benefits, and money for college. I remember him being engaging, friendly, and professional as he answered questions and talked with us, and I can still even remember shaking hands with him at one point.

Being that this was ten years ago, I'm not sure if Jarvis had told us this or not at the time, but he had had an infantry MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) with a B4 Additional Skills Identifier, meaning that he was a graduate of the US Army's sniper school at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Army's sniper training program also includes extensive training in wilderness survival and escape and evasion. Jarvis was also an avid hunter and outdoorsman who owned a number of rifles of his own. I was, of course, unaware that Jarvis was then going through a rough time with his wife Sarah, but a few months later it would all come out into the open.

40 year old Sarah Jarvis worked with disabled people, and was described by friends as a dedicated mother and a “consummate professional musician”.

On the night of Saturday, July 14, 2007, Sarah Jarvis was singing with a classic rock and country band at a local restaurant and bar. Around midnight, Daniel had arrived in his pickup truck and was somewhere outside with a high-powered rifle setting up in a position overlooking the south side of the restaurant, where he had a clear view of his wife through a plate glass door as she was on stage performing. The police said that they didn't know exactly where he fired from, but I seem to remember them saying that the shot could have been taken from the area around the parking lot, or it could have been much further away. I know the area around that restaurant fairly well. It's situated in a neighborhood amongst a mix of businesses and residences just off a major thoroughfare through town. There is also a wide open hillside some distance to the south that levels out into a narrow, grassy field with a creek flowing through it, located right next to the fenced-off perimeter of the local airport on one side of a runway. I believe that he took the shot from somewhere in this area, a few hundred yards away from the restaurant. While Sarah was on stage performing, a single, well-aimed shot penetrated through the plate glass door and struck her in the head. According to an article from CNN.com that I'm reading right now, one of her bandmates gave a grisly account of the wound and how she died. According to a probable-cause affidavit filed in the case, witnesses said that they heard a loud "pop" or a shot fired and then saw a dark-colored pickup truck speeding away from the area, matching the description of the one owned by Daniel. Inside the restaurant, customers had run for cover. The bullet was later recovered from a door jamb in front of where Sarah had been standing, and was determined to have been fired from a 7mm-chambered rifle.

The affidavit said that the shooting happened a day after Sarah Jarvis contacted the police and said that she and her husband were going through a divorce. She had told them that "he was frequently calling and harassing her", and had also been sending her "hostile" emails. Police later called Daniel Jarvis, and he had agreed to stop calling his wife and to use a third party for contact, and that they would meet only at neutral locations. Daniel didn't make any threats during his phone calls, but they were frequent and Sarah said that she didn't want to talk with him. Investigators said that a phone call had been made from Daniel's cell phone to the restaurant at 8:54 pm, just a few hours before the shooting.

I recall reading the initial story about the shooting in the local paper one morning a day or two later, and how taken aback I was after recognizing the name of the shooter in the article, and realizing that this was the same guy I had met face to face at school a few months earlier. I told my parents about it at the breakfast table, and expressed my stunned disbelief to them about it. It was quite a shock. Murders are a fairly rare thing around here to begin with, so when they happen it's always a huge local story. And murders like this one, that garner national media attention, are almost unheard of here. "Here" is a small, laid-back, peaceful city of about 60,000 residents in a sparsely populated western state.

So following the shooting, Jarvis had fled, and the police found a six page-long, handwritten note at his home addressed to "everyone" which detailed that the shooting was going to happen and gave the reasons why. In a media interview, a police captain described it as a "near confession" that Daniel Jarvis was the killer. In the days that followed, authorities received a tip off from a ranch hand who had seen Jarvis in the remote back country about ten miles outside of a neighboring city located 46 miles to the west of here. A manhunt was underway to find him, involving 75 heavily armed sheriffs deputies and state troopers, with dog teams and helicopter support as they searched an area up in the mountains, located on national forest land. I can imagine that it must have been almost like a scene out of Rambo: First Blood. They found Jarvis's abandoned truck in a place called "Rogers Canyon", and eventually found the camper he'd been hiding out in, located in some remote, partially forested sagebrush country. They found his body there. He had died of a self-inflicted gunshot, and was found with a pistol by his side and the rifle he'd used to murder his wife.

I remember sitting in a local barbershop one afternoon getting a haircut, watching the TV and seeing the story being reported on Fox News. Later, I also saw Nancy Grace giving commentary about it on her show, in her usual sensationalist manner of hyped-up, theatrical outrage. The whole thing was just plain horrible, and worst of all was how it had affected the Jarvis's kids, who suddenly found themselves orphaned. Years later, I had a conversation about the murder with a one-time coworker who had been a classmate of their son. I was told that after his parents died, he stopped coming to school and he was never seen or heard from again. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like to go through all of that.

A fund to benefit the kids was set up, in memory of their murdered mother.

You never expect to have a connection with someone who does something like this, even if only a very indirect and peripheral one, but when you do it's almost surreal. What goes through a person's mind that enables them to do something like this, knowing full well how it will affect their family and kids who are dependent on them?

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Alstren likes this.
  20. Shane McNair

The majority of furries are between the ages of 18 and 35. Welcome to the club, you old fuck, you. ;)

Yakamaru likes this.
  21. Clary

Clary Clary Sage is a very delicious herb.

Yeahh I like threads like this one.

Some facts about me:

When i was a child, I saw a cartoon where somebody got cursed because he touched a special mushroom. After this, I was really afraid of mushrooms. I was not only refusing to eat them, but I also ran away when I saw some outside, thinking they would be going to kill me. Now the really strange part: Even today, when I see some mushrooms in the woods, I become a bit nervous. But on the other side, I really enjoy to eat them now, I love to cook with them. Perhaps this is, what a psychologist would call cognitive dissonance.

I,ve got a royal flush after flop one time when I was playing texas holdem poker :D

I was really lucky several times in situations, where i could have been injured in a really dangerous way. One example is:
    I was soldering a very strong wire. In one moment, the wire suddenly sprang back and all of the hot solder splashed into my face. I was really lucky, that nothing of it hit my eyes.
    Since this happened, protective glasses are always my best friend whenever I craft something!

22. Dmc10398

Dmc10398 riding against the wind

Ten years ago this month I purchased my dream-car free and clear and it's been a hell of a ride

Attached Files:

Shane McNair, MsRavage and Bam_Bams like this.
  23. Bam_Bams

Bam_Bams Fur-real!

I need a haircut
    I'm starting to look like a koala

24. Bam_Bams

Bam_Bams Fur-real!

Also, I have a 'Hello Kitty' pencil sharpener on my desk at work.
    And it is the best pencil sharpener I have ever owned.

p.s. it was a gift from my boss.....

25. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

OH I have tons of reptiles and inverts like tarantulas and scoprions! They are awesome and i pride myself in teaching others about them!!