The Crusade: Venture Into the Dark (Planning Thread for One-shot DnD adventure)

Discussion in 'The Tavern (RP Discussion)' started by Blue_Jay, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Thanks again guys for your participation. I set the next game to the same time this coming Friday (8:00 pm EST).
    Please let me know if your schedule does not permit this. Also, drop me some feedback or ideas if you have any. I'm going to see about changing up the background music in our next session.

2. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Hey guys.

Just wanted to post a reminder that the next game is currently planned for next Friday (February 10) at 8pm EST. This is because one of you mentioned that they might be unavailable because they are moving this weekend. HOWEVER, if that changes and all of you are available this weekend, then please post here to let me know.

Also wanted to let you all know that you guys are doing a phenomenal job role-playing your characters. I'm sorry that we haven't seen a whole lot of action yet--I honestly was not expecting the expositions to be so slow. But I am still thoroughly enjoying seeing you guys develop your characters. You'll all get an Inspiration Point at the start of the next game. If you don't know how those work then don't worry about it, I'll explain the next time we start. I think that we may be able to finish this in the next session, depending on what you all do.

Current Quest Objectives:
    • Find a way to remove the undead threat to Bryford before the Orthodox arrives (in 3 days)
    • (optional) Investigate the cause of the Blight.
    • (optional) Assist Carion the Necromancer (in attempting to raise an undead army?)
    • (optional) Assist the Ratclan in neutralizing Carion the Necromancer.
    • (optional) Explore the subterranean temple ruins.
    • (optional) Take the money paid in advance and leave.

Sarachaga likes this.
  3. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Hey guys! Don't forget, we're having another session tonight at 8 EST. See you then!

Sarachaga, lyar and Jarren like this.
  4. lyar

lyar Its not the human race, its just the human race

I am super sorry guys I had something come up yesterday, and I was so caught up in it I didn't have the chance to say anything. I don't know if you guys played last night or not but I will be prepared to continue next week

5. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

We didn't do too terribly much. I studied the dark arts from a bad teacher. Sarachaga made a friend. We had to evict the friend. We had a snack, then we got tired and stopped.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Sarachaga likes this.
  6. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

No worries, Lyar! We'll pick it up next week.

7. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Hey guys! We're picking up a new player for the game!

Sarachaga likes this.
  8. Sarachaga

Sarachaga Well-Known Member

That's great news!

9. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 Jumping feet first into hell... seems like my job

Hey all! I just wanted to say that my character is under construction and I'll be joining the game! If you have any advice, it's ripe for the taking...

Sarachaga likes this.
  10. Sarachaga

Great to have you join us! I don't have much advice beside create a character you'll enjoy playing!

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  11. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Salutations, guys! So, gonna give everyone a quick recap of the adventure so far.

Three would-be adventurers (that's you guys) assembled at the Drunken Stag and met with a Crusader named Lord Theon, an old but proud sabercat-man who is clearly a veteran of some sort. He suspects that there may be undead lurking in the ruins beneath the city, and he has asked you all to investigate and perhaps even remove the threat if possible. Thanks to the persuasiveness of Markus, the sly sorcerer, he pays you all in advance (200 gp) and tells you to get this done before the Orthodox arrives in three days. That was one day ago, so you now have two remaining.

The party sest off to find the entrance to the underground ruins. Udo, the warrior monk, mentioned that he received a tip from one of the priests that there is a sealed entrance leading strait into the caverns where you all need to be. And sure enough, the entrance was sealed by a gate, which none of you were able to open despite your combined efforts. And perhaps that was for the best, as you then encountered the dreaded Lord Zorn. He is a ancient and powerful immortal known as a wight, and despite his sickly disposition he is supposedly the entity who is commands the horde of zombies that had accompanied him. Strangely, though Osmo, the (fake) priest, did not get the sense that the creature was hostile towards them. On the other hand, it is a good thing that the gate was kept shut, because surely those zombies would have spilled out from the cave and perhaps attacked the towns. One of you also noticed that he was wearing some strange medallion around his neck.

Next, the party decides to try the other entrance, another cave that supposedly leads to the caverns below. Perhaps they would have better luck, or at least encounter less reeking rotting corpses. Instead, you encounter one of the local rat clans (the criminal organizations that have apparently been plaguing this town for a while). And they seem awfully familiar with Osmo for some reason. Their leader, Chief Sarl, is threatening to blow up the cave entrance in order to kill a person who had barricaded himself in the room. Udo swiftly dispatched of the chief before any harm could come to the poor victim, and also inadvertently established himself as the new chief for that group (and there's no way that can possibly backfire, right?).

The victim they rescued then introduces himself as Carion the Necromancer. Apparently he is the one who is responsible for this whole mess; he was the one responsible for the resurrection of Zorn the dread lord. But he is portly, awkward, hapless, cowardly fellow who couldn't possibly seem less like a diabolical villain if he tried. And he clearly doesn't. As he leads the party through the caves to an ancient underground temple (which is NOT the caverns you guys are trying to reach, by the way) he casually explains his master plan to use that talisman you all saw before to control Zorn and raise an undead army to oppose the Orthodox Army. And he talks about such atrocities with the gleeful nonchalance of someone discussing a hobby. Apparently this guy's aspirations far outstrips his naive disposition.

After letting him spout on about his intentions to remove some sacred artifact from the Shrine of Valor and then desecrate the site in order to finally gain control of the teeming undead, you are all pretty convinced that there is absolutely no chance in hells that you are going to help this guy. You easily restrained him, then afterwards determined that he was about as threatening as a baby chick and coerced him into helping you all end the blight once and for all. So, you all spent the rest of the day letting him teach Markus necromancy, or at least enough of it that he'd be able to disable Zorn long enough to remove the talisman. But the instructions are not going so well (it turns out that Carion is a horrible teacher). It is now the end of the first night, and you all decide to rest and tackle this on the next day... And that is where are story picks up.

Also, Carion revealed that he is also a Crusader, like Lord Theon. And for some reason that he never explained, he believes that the Crusaders might have reasons to want to do him harm. He also revealed that Baron Markovich (the town's leader) was secretly employing the ratclans and having them steal from the townfolk and hide the goods in the caves, and spreading false rumors about the purge coming to town in order to cause a panic. The plot thickens! Also again, that rust monster is still there. It's not hostile (towards Osmo) and will follow him around for a while.

• Find a way to remove the undead threat to Bryford before the Orthodox arrives (in 2 days)
    • (optional) Investigate the cause of the Blight. [COMPLETED, you all pretty much know that the necromancer is responsible, and you've already defeated him]
    • (optional) Assist Carion the Necromancer (in attempting to raise an undead army?) [FAILED, Carion is on your side now, but there will be no raising of undead armies]
    • (optional) Assist the Ratclan in neutralizing Carion the Necromancer. [FAILED, Carion is no longer a threat but the ratclan still wants him dead]
    • (optional) Explore the subterranean temple ruins. (There is a reason why this place is here...)
    • (optional) Investigate the claim of secret stolen loot stashed in the caves. [COMPLETED, Markus already found it... but it's probably not there anymore.]
    • (optional) Find out the real reason Lord Theon is in town. (It's probably not to kill zombies)
    • (optional) Teach Markus how to be a proper necromancer.

12. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

The way this is going, you'd have an easier time teaching a fish to juggle :p

13. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

• Find a way to remove the undead threat to Bryford before the Orthodox arrives (in 2 days)
    • Defeat the evil necromancer before he enacts his diabolical plan!
    • (optional) Investigate the cause of the Blight. [COMPLETED, you all pretty much know that the necromancer is responsible, and you've already defeated him]
    • (optional) Explore the subterranean temple ruins. (There is a reason why this place is here...)
    • (optional) Investigate the claim of secret stolen loot stashed in the caves. [COMPLETED, Markus already found it... but it's probably not there anymore.]
    • (optional) Find out the real reason Lord Theon is in town. (It's probably not to kill zombies)
    • (optional) Teach Markus how to be a proper necromancer. [FAILED]

14. Crimson_Steel17

I WILL kill him, that wasn't a threat... it was a promise!

15. Sarachaga

Again guys sorry I had to leave. The building was closing so I didn't want to get locked in. What did I miss? Did Carion escape?

16. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

By the way, you guys passed up so much loot! Gotta remember to search those rooms you cleared.

17. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

No worries, Sarachaga. Although it's kinda worrying that you almost got locked in the building. I hope that doesn't happen often! o_O So, the party managed to finally defeat the mimic thing (it was almost dead by the time you left). But Caron used the opportunity to make a run for it. Markus and Ulfang went after him, while Udo stuck around to tend to the injured Osmo (who is now partially covered in mimic goop).

By the way, one of the carnal rules of adventuring: Never split the party. You guy will learn this lesson the hard way in the next session. :D

Good job so far, everyone! You all managed to survive your first encounter!

[edit] Also, the rust monster is still around. I'm gonna start calling him rusty.

Sarachaga likes this.
  18. Crimson_Steel17

Question: when is our next escapade?

19. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

The plan is to try to run this on Friday at 8pm EST time. HOWEVER, if you are unable to make it to the next session, please let us know when you will be available so that we can try to get plan a time for our next session when everyone will be available.

20. Crimson_Steel17

I'm in! Is this going to be a regular schedule? Or are we just meeting on Roll20 casually?