The Crusade: Venture Into the Dark (Planning Thread for One-shot DnD adventure)

Discussion in 'The Tavern (RP Discussion)' started by Blue_Jay, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Right now it's a regular schedule unless something changes. We'll still be meeting in the same game room on roll20.

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  2. Sarachaga

Sarachaga Well-Known Member

How many games did we do?Around five already,right :D ?

3. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Hey guys. Right now we're still scheduled for a game tomorrow at 8pm EST. I'd like to take this opportunity now to briefly explain how combat works in DnD (fifth edition). I was meaning to explain this a long time ago, when I thought you guys would immediately engage in combat, but ever since it has slipped my mind. My bad.

Combat Basics

During combat, the party will roll for initiative. Creatures that get the highest rolls will go first. Afterwards, all enemies will take a turn, followed by all party members, and on and on until combat ends. Just let me know what actions you'd like to take and I will let you know the result of those actions. You do not have to take turns, although you can elect to wait until someone else has taken their actions, or hold until after the enemy's next turn.

Each round consists of the party's turn and the enemy's turn, comprised of six seconds of simultaneous actions in game. During each round, a creature can take a movement action and a standard action.

Movement Actions are just what they sound like: they involve your character moving. Using this action, your character can move up to their speed. So if your character's speed is 30 feet, then you can move up to thirty feet. Getting up from a prone position costs half of your movement. You can also take other minor actions as part of your movement action, such as drawing weapons and opening doors. If you are unsure whether you can take an action, just ask and I'll let you know.

Standard Actions are used by characters when they are utilizing things like weapons, items, certain special abilities, and spells. So if a character were to attack a creature (called the Attack Action), then they will use the weapons they have on hand and make an attack roll. Standard actions are typically used when conducting skill checks, like Persuasion, but sometime I make special exceptions and let those count as Bonus Actions. Standard actions can also be used to go on the defensive, causing all attacks from enemies that you can see to have disadvantage (this is the Dodge Action), or to attempt to break from an enemy without exposing yourself to attack (this is the Disengage Action), or to use an attack to attempt to shove or grapple a creature (this usually requires a skill check). Standard actions may also be used to assist allies in taking down their opponents (called the Help Action), but this action is a bit more complex, so just tell me if this is your intent and I will let you know what the result is. Lastly, if you want to forgo an attack and just move again, you can substitute the standard action to take another movement actions (this is the Dash Action) and move up to twice your movement speed instead.

You guys are mostly beginners, so all you need to know for now is that on your turn, you can move and attack. You do not need to do both, you can just do one of those things and then wait if you are unsure what to do next. You can also ready an action for when something occurs. For instance, if Ulfang wanted to wait until the animated skeleton crosses the threshold of the torch light before making a ranged attack with his bow, his turn would end, but his action will trigger immediately when he has sight on the creature he's targeting. There is a bit more nuance to the combat than what I'm putting here, but just know that if there is something that you'd like to attempt that you think that your character is reasonably capable of doing, try it. Chances are your character will be able to pull it off. Want to pick up a ratclan thug and use him as an improvised weapon against other ratclan thugs? You can do that if your character is strong like Ulfang. Want to charge at an armed assailant but then gracefully slide under their legs before immediately attacking from behind? You can do that if your character is nimble like Osmo. Want to intimidate a foe into submission without going through the trouble of fighting them? You can do that if your character is a badass like Udo. Want to use guile and misdirection to draw attention away from yourself and make a quick escape? You can do that if your character is clever like Markus.

Just let me know what your intent is, and I will tell you the rolls that you need to do or the requirements that must be met.

Basic Strategies
    • Udo - You are a melee combatant who can seamlessly shift from offense to defense at the drop of the hat, and control the flow of battle. Remember, you can always make at least two attacks per round, and you have a limited amount of ki which you can spend to either do flurry of blows or patient defense. A good combo would be to use one of your flurry attacks to try and knock your enemy prone, which would make it easier for you to land your next two blows. Remember, though, you only have a few ki points, and once you run out you need to take a long rest to recover them. So it may be best to save them for an emergency. While you do not have any apparent weakness in your defense, remember that an enemy can still get lucky and critically injure you.
    • Osmo - Despite your appearance, you are currently the most lethal person the group. When an enemy within 30 of you is engaged with another ally or otherwise too distracted to see you, you can use ranged attacks or light weapons to deliver precision damage, hitting those sweet spots and pressure points that deliver massive amounts of damage. Ever since your new pet devoured your rapier, I imagine that your go-to weapon is your shortbow, but remember that if an enemy gets close to you they will impose a disadvantage on your ranged attacks. You are an opportunist, but you are also exceedingly vulnerable, so it's probably best to choose battles that you know you can win.
    • Markus - You are a powerful spellcaster. I do not remember what all of your spells are, but I know that you are capable of ending battles moments after they begin, or perhaps even before then. You also seem to be primarily a ranged fighter. Ranged attacks are invaluable to the group, especially against enemies that are too powerful to fight directly. But remember, without armor, you are the most vulnerable person in the party. Unnecessary risks will put you in grave peril!
    • Ulfang - You are extremely versatile. You are a ranged fighter, you are a tank, you are a healer, you are a scout, and you deal tremendous amounts of damage. You can be the party's point-man. You wield two handaxes, and since they are both light weapons, you can dual-wield them and attack twice per turn. Or you can hurl one of them at a time. You seem to also be fond of using a whip, but just know that whips are weaker than handaxes (although they have more range to them). It is up to you to decide what strategy to take when fighting in a particular encounter. Just remember that more often then not you will be the one taking the brunt of an enemy's attack, so remember to have a back-up plan.

4. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

I wanna say five. I'm not sure! I remember a long time ago I said that you all should be able to complete this scenario in two sessions. ;_;

Sarachaga likes this.
  5. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

I never was good with DBZ Ki... I don't imagine DnD Ki being any different. Thanks for the advice, though

6. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Just as a reminder: We'll be starting the next session in about thirty minutes. Please let us know if you will be delayed or will not be able to attend. Thanks guys!

7. Sarachaga

I might be 5-10 mins late. I'll try to avoid it, but that's a possibility

8. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Hey guys. Thanks again for the game last night. I'm going to post a short synopsis of the rest of the conversation with Lord Theon so as to save time for next week's session. If there is anything else your characters would ask Theon just post them here and I'll give you his answers.

It was the dawn when you all returned to the Drunken Stag, so none of you got a full nights rest. So you can rest up for a few more hours at the tavern and reconvene at noon. Theon would be available to answer any more questions.

Osmo had asked Theon what is the real reason the Orthodox army was headed to Bryford. Theon explains that the Orthodox had only sent a small regiment (perhaps only twenty or so people) to investigate sightings of the undead. The Orthodox may be a bunch of craven zealots, but they especially harbor an extreme hatred for the undead. He has no doubt that they would be better equipped to handle the restless dead than even he would, as some among their number have been blessed by the God King with divine powers, which they would use to vanquish those monsters. Theon had been only half-serious about his need to take credit for getting rid of the undead. While his real mission was to hunt down the necromancer responsible for this mess before the Orthodox caught wind of Carion's existence, he figured that in the process he'd earn some extra travel money to pay for his and Ulfang's expenses back to the Crusaders' headquarters.

Markus had asked Theon where he think Carion might have run off to. Theon explains that he suspects that Carion may be involved with the heretic faction, and that they may provide him with aid and shelter. But he also suspects that the necromancer has garnered a decent amount of enemies in his travels. If anything, that's how Theon managed to track him down to this town. Also, Carion is an umbral feline, and those sorts of people are extremely rare and extremely easy to track down (as Markus could probably attest to). Theon trusts his own hunting prowess and doubts that there s a place where Carion can hid from him. The following day he will attempt to pick up the necromancer's trail again... That is, unless the party wants to take him up on his offer to help with the zombies.

Ulfang had asked how the Crusaders had allowed Carion to run rampant like this. Theon admits that Carion had come across a powerful artifact that no one in the guild fully understood. It actually was not locked in the vault, but rather one of the other members had kept it as a trophy (from slaying a water hag) and then later lost it in a game of cards to the Guildmaster, who then left it in his own quarters which was unlocked and unguarded. It wasn't until around the time that Carion and the artifact had gone missing and when rumors of undead started cropping up in Halgrove that the Guildmaster started to suspect that the artifact wasn't just some trinket. So the Guildmaster dispatched a handful of Crusaders, to include Ulfang and Theon, to investigate the sites of the undead sightings and then report back. Theon had somehow already knew the full extent of the situation but didn't tell Ulfang and the others.

If you guys have any more questions for Lord Theon just post them here and I'll answer them.

Sarachaga likes this.
  9. OakenheelTheWolf

OakenheelTheWolf Active Member

Do you think i could join? I have a character sheet already. It would rlly nean alot to me. Thanks :p

10. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Hello, Oakenheel! Thank you so much for taking an interest. If you'd like, you can PM me a copy of your character sheet.

This was supposed to be a one-shot, but it ended up turning into a full-blown mini-campaign. Right now, the question of whether you can join depends on whether or not the adventure has ended. While the players characters have not yet completed their assigned quest (they still have two in-game days to do it) they may decide to call it quits and cut their losses. They may even decide to take on a new quest (chase down the villain who had managed to escape). So I'll pose this question to the rest of you: What do you guys want to do?

You are still able to explore the temple and the caverns, but you must use the other entrance, and you still have a few secrets left to discover.
    You can cut your losses and take the money and leave town, thus ending the adventure.
    You can do some other quest--which may involve me actually creating the world map and a few more dungeons, which I may need some time to prepare.

If you guys do not want to respond in this forum you can also let me know via PM.

11. Sarachaga

I'm ready to continue ^^!

12. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Current Quest Objectives:
    • Find a way to remove the undead threat to Bryford before the Orthodox arrives (in 2 days)
    • Defeat the evil necromancer before he enacts his diabolical plan! [FAILED, apparently his plan was to escape, which he managed to succeed in]
    • (optional) Find Carion. (someone is bound to have seen that guy around town)
    • (optional) Explore the subterranean temple ruins. (There is a reason why this place is here...)
    • (optional) Find out the real reason Lord Theon is in town. [COMPLETED]
    • (optional) Investigate Baron Markovich's conspiracy. [FAILED, Theon already beat you to it.]
    • (optional) Find the Holy Avenger (the mythical holy sword) which is enshrined in the temple.
    • (optional) Take the money paid in advance and leave.
    Treasure:
    Udo and Osmo have managed to collect 70 gp, 290 silver pieces, a couple of gold lockets (which ought to be worth around 25 gold pieces each), and a copper chalice (also worth around 25 gold).
    Markus manage to collect 50 gp, 200 sp (there's over a thousand coins left over but this was all he could carry), a bone die, carved bone statuette, cloth of gold vestments, and a copper chalice (each of the last four items should be worth around 25 gp).

If you guys are in possession of items you'd like to sell, it would take you 1d8 hours to find someone in town who'd like to trade for them. And because I don't feel like looking up the rules for pricing, you can assume that the items can be sold for their full worth, although you'd have to make a DC 20 Persuasion check to get merchants to purchase them for 50% more. Beware, though, some failed attempts to haggle may result in you having to find another merchant.

13. OakenheelTheWolf

Wait... NOOOOOO I LOST MY CHARACTER SHEET!!!!!!! can i join next week? I need to make a new character sheet.

14. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

If we decide to continue this then sure, you can join whenever you want!

15. OakenheelTheWolf

Oh thank you!

16. OakenheelTheWolf

Is it allowed for me to be a whitefang wolf that does not like the vile ways of the whitefang, and is trying to fit in with the good ppl? Sorry, iv'e only had one dm before and idk ur rules and ahhhh i havent created a character in so long.

17. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

My character in a nuthsell. Have fun with it.
    I'll always continue (unless my character is dead...)

18. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

Sure, you can play whatever race you want, and they can be any alignment. Crimson Steel is currently playing wolf who was formerly part of a whitefang clan, and his character isn't a bad person at all.
    We also have an umbral feline sorcerer (who is morally ambiguous), a roguish rat (who is also morally ambiguous), and a rat monk (who is the paradigm of altruism).

So far we have two for continuing. What say Lyar and Jarren?

19. OakenheelTheWolf

Wow I had rlly good rolls for my dex, strength, constitutution, ect. All over 16!

20. Blue_Jay

Blue_Jay Member

I'm sorry, Oakenheel, but you will need to repeat those rolls. They way that I run my games is that I (the GM) must be present while the players roll for any of their stats. When you said that you had your sheet ready, I had assumed that you had used the point-buy system or standard array to determine your attributes.

Join the game on roll20 by clicking on this link. Then send me a PM telling me the times you'll be available this week (in EST), so that we can discuss a time to meet up and get your character sheet finalized.