The future of humanity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AustinB, Apr 5, 2017.

1. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

How do you see the future of humanity? Do you think we'll be traveling in outer space on spaceships with super advanced technology? Or do you think we'll go extinct before the century ends? Do you think we'll be the same? Where do you see humanity in the future? You can get philosophical if you want. I'm just curious as to where you guys think we'll be in the future. I'm hoping we'll be some kind of super advanced civilization where everyone is accepted and violence is a rarity. That might not happen any time soon, but hopefully we look past our destructive/violent ways and learn to accept each other. That probably won't happen though. I'm not really sure, but hopefully that's what happens.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

If we don't somehow manage to wipe ourselves out first, there's a good chance some of that may happen. Personally, I'd like to see humanity go the way of Star Trek, that's an endeavour I can get behind.

AustinB likes this.
  3. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

Yessss Star Trek irl. That'd be really cool.

4. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

Our only hope to save ourselves FROM ourselves is to get extra planetary or extra solar colonies established before we end up sending ourselves back to the dark ages. It's just a matter of what happens first. Which is more likely? I'm not willing to speculate that wildly, but I'd like to think we'll escape Earth before we make a tremendous bungle. We're a bunch of stone age critters with tribal instincts living in a globalized society with godlike weaponry. Something's gonna go wrong eventually.

zeroslash, MrFranco and AustinB like this.
  5. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Dunno.

I like to think that problems such as poverty, disease and finite resources will be solved in the future. Humans are pretty adaptable, so there's reason to think that it's not impossible.

I've got to admit that I'm kind of scared of things like antibiotic resistant bacteria and the limited amount of fresh water, which may both be massive problems in the future.

Fallowfox and AustinB like this.
  6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Mein Gott

Our species is fucking hopeless. Our species is worse than trash, as some people clearly show.

That being said; Our species have infinite potential, and is something I firmly believe in. We have the potential to be something far greater than what we currently are.

ChapterAquila92 and AustinB like this.
  7. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

How far into the future are we talking here? 200 years? 1,000 years? It'll be a miracle if we last that long. Also, I think you're overestimating the abilities of our species. We'd have to evolve so that the average human IQ becomes much higher than it is currently, so that we'd have the mental ability to devise such things and make them workable. That wouldn't happen overnight. Our species is smart enough to get itself into serious trouble, but not smart enough to get out of it.

That's not going to happen. It lies at the very core of our nature to be violent and to fight each other, for one reason or another. It's been hard wired into us over hundreds of thousands of years of biological and social evolution.

And in our lifetime, the future will likely look more like this, and probably sooner rather than later:

AustinB likes this.
  8. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Yup. I totally agree. At least where I live, in the States..... I'm terrified, to be honest. :(

9. pidge

pidge Member

10. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Wait, did that guy in the video just say that 9/11 was an inside job done for the sake of justifying wars? o.o

11. FluffyShutterbug

I've heard that one when I was back in middle school, almost 10 years ago....

12. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

I harbor very few hopes for our species.

13. FluffyShutterbug

This just in: It looks like the U.S. is heading to war with Syria. Just another reason to feel totally screwed.... :(

14. Jarren

To be fair, we've been conducting thousands of strikes in that country already. The main difference here is the scale and the target. Plus, we've had boots on the ground there for over a year as well. Could this escalate things? Yes. Will it mean war? Hopefully not.

15. FluffyShutterbug

It's the fact that the current president of the U.S. has zero impulse is what has me terrified. He makes decisions without thinking about the consequences, and when someone hold a position of power that high, that could spell out some grave consequences.

16. Protoshy

Protoshy Self-proclaimed Gamer

*Spoilers* wink ;)

17. Jarren

I'd hardly say without thinking. Considering the amount of intel needed before an operation like this and the fact that several days have passed since the incident with the chemical attack, I'd say he's given it consideration (or at least his advisors have). Plus, he did say that the red line would not be crossed again without repercussions. I'm not trying to defend the decision (I think this is a massive can of worms) but he (and Obama) did warn President Asshat... I mean Assad, that this would happen. What really matters now is where Russia stands on the action. That should tell us all we need to know about where this is headed...

18. FluffyShutterbug

In any case... I'd really hate to see my country get into yet another unwinnable war.

19. FluffyShutterbug

Jeez! I never, ever thought that I'd be talking politics as my 'sona. This... feels.... wrong.

20. Jarren

My country too, and I agree that Syria is unwinnable at this point. For anyone. I'd be willing to bet good money that their present borders will NOT exist by the end of the decade and there may very well be another country or two in it's place. Either that, or we get a Mediterranean version of Somalia. But something does need to be done in the region to at least contain the violence before it spills outward again. What exactly that is or who should do it is up for debate.