The future of humanity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AustinB, Apr 5, 2017.

1. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

Whatever the options are, I can practically guarantee that the worst one will be picked. Or at least the one that's not the "best". Logic is something that has seemingly vanished these days. (Am I complaining too much?)

2. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

We've already been at war with Syria for, what, six years now? When you start dropping bombs on another country, wouldn't that normally constitute a declaration of war? Syria is, and has been a huge quagmire for a long time, and the government and media have done nothing but lie through their teeth to all of us about what's really been happening there over these past few years.

3. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

Syria was never "winnable". Syria was a giant clusterfuck right from the get go. Nobody knows who's who over there. I've heard all this talk for years about the so-called "Syrian Opposition" that's fighting Assad, and that we were arming them. Well what the fuck is the "Syrian Opposition"? Sounds an awful lot like the media and the US regime were trying to baffle us with bullshit and make us think that we weren't, in fact, actually arming ISIS. In fact, Senator Rand Paul has even made the same accusation: www.ibtimes.co.uk: Republican Senator Rand Paul Accuses US of Arming Isis Terrorists

The US government has deliberately been trying to destabilize Syria, so that Assad's government will ultimately be toppled. If ISIS was really the boogey man that they've been made out to be, and we actually wanted to do something about them, then we would have already done it! And if that was the case, then logically, we should be supporting Assad since he's against ISIS. But we won't do that, and we won't do anything about ISIS because the US regime wants Assad gone, so that the globalists can seize control of Syria like they did with Iraq. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." And we've likely just destroyed what was left of Assad's air force, and given ISIS that much more of an advantage.

And what about this alleged gas attack and our response to it? First of all, this strikes me as pure hypocrisy. Did we "retaliate" against Saddam Hussein when he dropped sarin gas bombs on the Kurds? No. Because he was our "ally" at the time. It was 1988, he was at war with Iran, and we were backing him against the Iranians. If you have the support of the US government, then you can do no wrong. But oh, look how quickly we reversed our position when Iraqi tanks started rolling into Kuwait three years later! Then all of a sudden, Saddam was the "bad guy". We did the same thing with Manuel Noriega too, when he decided that he wasn't going to play ball with the Bush 41 regime.

However, this time, I think that this is just the US regime trying to frame Assad for something he didn't do, just like the last time they accused him of using chemical weapons, all to make it appear as though we have some kind of moral justification for trying to oust him. And, as usual, the American people are being played for the suckers that most of us are. Sounds to me like another contrived escalation of another bullshit war with another country that we have no business pissing around with, just like Vietnam, just like Iraq. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Should we ever get that far into our technological development, I doubt that any of our descendants, should they even identify as 'human', will even resemble us Sapiens (remember that 'human' defines the genus Homo, to which us Sapiens belong). For that matter, I wouldn't expect them to have the same beliefs and morals that we do.

Of course, not very many people today are enthusiastic about potential Ubermensche.

5. PoptartPresident

PoptartPresident A teen chatter box

Eh.
    We'll be fine.

6. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Humanity will ruin this planet, and have to move back to Mars again.... Always thought it super funny that Star Fleet ships are ..... Saucers... lol

7. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Nothing changes unless there's profit to be made or a metaphorical gun to the head of people with the power to change things. Humanitarians with power are the minority of those with power.

I think the slash-and-burn profiteering for short term profits at the cost of the future will continue until they can't any longer. I really see no signs of it slowing, you'd need to completely alter the psychology of the people who are abusing power and shirking inherent responsibilities. In fact, great Furry science-fiction comic if nobody here has read it yet, Erma Felna EDF by Steve Gallacci (now slowly being uploaded on his website, just started the 2nd of 5 volumes), I always appreciated since this is pretty much the core theme as a reflection of late 20th century politics transplanted on to a "blank canvas" society which then repeats the same mistakes. Then the sequel comic is set post-collapse.

Star Trek utopia canonically happens after WWIII and the complete devastation of the Earth, and a large part of us getting our shit together was alien intervention by the Vulcans post first contact.

Mostly I'm worried about the immediate future of the US economy for me since there's this perfect buttfuck trifecta in the next 10 years of stagnant wages, high debts, and the 2nd industrial revolution. People starved to death in the streets during the first industrial revolution, and even today we can't solve our own minor domestic problems or even lay proper foundations for stable social programs. Not to mention how polarized politics in the USA have been getting.

I think society will survive to reach the stars and blah blah blah, but a shitload of people will continue to be ground underfoot that didn't need to be, and I doubt "minor" things such as environmental concerns will be heeded seriously until the rich are suffering.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  8. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

What about how we're gunning for a war with North Korea?

9. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

I think it would be as short and one-sided as the Gulf War, complete with a lot of militia immediately surrendering. I'd only worry if I was a South Korean. North Korea is screwed, their major economic pipeline as I understand it was China buying coal but I read China is backing out of that. Actual war with China I've always doubted we'd see since their economic bubble is about to slump and their economy is largely propped up on the US dollar. So far it's looking like China will continue backing away from backing North Korea from what I remember reading. I don't recall how tightly Russia played big-brother for N Korea as how much China did.

Granted I don't read much in the way of international news, so my world political knowledge is probably about as good as my knowledge of the last EULA I agreed to.

What really bothers me is Russia's oldguard of politicians doing their best impression of Dr Strangelove.

10. Jarren

Jarren Big, scaly, gun nut. Don't mind me

Not a threat to anyone outside of North Korean missile range, especially if the Chinese put their foot down and bring Kim to heel. Not even Dear Leader of Best Korea is stupid enough to actually push the big red button (And even if he did, the South Koreans and Chinese would have to worry the most). I'd be more worried about China's antics in the South China sea over the last few years.

11. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

All y'all don't seem to understand we're already doomed.
    Disregard what's happening in Syria and North Korea. Those things are small change, my amigos. What you're not paying attention to, there are species going extinct all around us, species that are part of the food chain and we don't seem to care. If you break the food chain, we're done for. It won't be an abrupt end, just a series of minor things that eventually create what machinists call "tolerance stack-up." The real problem will surface when the bees and other pollinating species go extinct. No pollination means no food and that equals no human race.

And the Bee-otch of it is, it's probably too late to do anything about it. Mankind has really screwed the pooch on this issue and nobody seems to care.

Pipistrele likes this.
  12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Stupid batto

We're all going to extinct sooner or later, and it is perfectly fine, that's how universe works. I just wish for a gradual, relatively painless extinction, any kind of "doomsday" would suck big time. Either way, I'm already happy to live in a wonderful time where international communication and easily accessable knowledge is nothing out of ordinary, and all the politic bullshit aside, humanity and technology are pretty much at their peak, so yeah, we should appreciate our existence for what it is, and enjoy it while it lasts c:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  13. ChapterAquila92

We've been a walking extinction event ever since our cognitive revolution over 70,000 years ago, and especially since we jumped to the top of the food chain as early as Homo sapiens' conquest of Australia some 45,000 years ago. It's just that today we do it on an industrial scale out of a sense of indifference; everything around us is seen as little more than a machine to be used or a resource to be exploited.

With that said, we're also entering an era where natural selection is starting to give way to intelligent design, with genetic modification being among the emerging forces at play. We could very well see the end of agriculture as we know it, but it's hard for me to accept that it will spell the end of humanity when we have the tools to circumvent the shortcomings that our activities are indirectly contributing. The only obstacle to this windfall is our current reluctance to accept this development out of fear of our own obsolescence.

In short, we must adapt or else we will perish.

For that matter, the implications this will have on future human evolution are transcendent - any descendant species we give birth to, biological or digital, will more than likely be gods compared to us, which is why it's imperative that we must determine what we want humanity to become.

14. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

We'll manage through assuming some natural disaster like an asteroid or super volcano doesn't happen along the way. One we get in the clear a good couple hundred years from now we'll probably be able to fully sustain ourselves while keeping the planet in a moderate state of okay

Yakamaru and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  15. ChapterAquila92

Indeed, though the supervolcano scenario likely won't completely exterminate us as a species; we already survived one, plus two ice ages, and that was without the aid of anything more advanced than stone tools and fire. A catastrophic cosmic event however? Yeah, a sufficiently large impact would do it. Suffice to say that while nukes may be devastating civilization-killers, even they pale in comparison to other forms of nature's violence.

16. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

A super volcano would likely knock us down for a good couple of centuries and stifle large amounts of progress

17. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Like Earth getting face-raped by a meteor? Happened several times, we're still here.

Not sure how our nukes can do anything about a meteor though.

18. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

I worry that we won't be able to mitigate the coming challenges, such as our changing climate.

19. ChapterAquila92

It's debatable, and a lot of that depends on how long the eruption lasts. Sure, Yellowstone may very well go up in spectacular fashion in the near future and devastate the surrounding region (let alone dumping ash across the continental United States), but aside from the ensuing humanitarian crisis and immediate collapse of the American economy, the projected impact on human civilization as a whole is not likely to be as severe as it's made out to be.
    In the context of our species' brief existence thus far, we've yet to get schmucked that hard. We already know that Earth is a tough gal and that her biosphere has faced far worse.
    Nukes would work well for asteroid deflection should one be detected early enough. It's a matter of getting around that Outer Space Treaty though.

PoptartPresident and Yakamaru like this.
  20. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Oh yeah, definitely. Crashed into Mars, crashed into the moon, getting face-raped daily by thousands of meteorites, getting fucked by meteors.

She's a tough gal indeed.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.