The situation with North Korea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gushousekai195, Aug 8, 2017.

1. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

if you say so bud i'm going to stop responding to the thread i'm just going to get pissed off i had to do a course on this shit during training nukes and nuclear warfare are very complicated you do need to do courses to fully understand it and their effects but no everyone's an expert cause they played fallout a couple times read a Wikipedia entry or two and read some fear mongering article in a tabloid news paper

2. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Moderator Staff Member

I was actually qual'd in Chemical, Biological, and Radiological Defense back in my service days, and I was actually in charge of the chem/bio gear for my department :)

4. GreenZone

yeah but was that in the past two decades recent? you should know with military you need to update your quals every year or so mewtwo...

5. SSJ3Mewtwo

Re-upped, sadly no. I got done in 2005. But I did save my materials, and I do look through them every now and then. It's likely just over-paranoia on my part, but given I work in Washington DC I like to have a little preparation in mind for if something truly screwed up occurs while I'm there.

6. GreenZone

fair enough but even in DC if you weren't at ground zero and provided your home wasn't damaged and can be made airtight (and you were able to fill a bathtub full of water) you could ride out the fallout for two weeks or until hazard units come evac you (don't know what they're called in the US the HECU kinda guys from half life they're usually apart of airforce)

7. SSJ3Mewtwo

There is no way the average windows of my place would stand up to even the weakest waves of pressure.

Fortunately I don't outright live in the city. I'm well enough away that I'd only be worried about things there while I was actually at work.

But this kinda wanders off the topic of the thread.

Back on topic, yeah, people have very good reason to be concerned about things spiraling out of control with a nuclear power like NK. ICBMs weren't a joke when they were first developed, and they still are no joke now.

Kit H. Ruppell and Simo like this.
  8. Ramjet556

I'm not overly concerned the fat boys gonna do anything..
    He knows full well a ICBM launch at anyone will be the end of him and his regime..

He's a dictator,and dictators love keeping power.No way he's going to hand his away to the international community on a silver platter like that..The guy is just looking to keep a kenitic regime change though external forces off the table,keeping in mind the last couple have fallen to that exact fate...

Ravofox likes this.
  9. zeroxwolfx

zeroxwolfx New Member

The only thing I can figure is that they are doing this for attention, possibly UN or food aid? I'm not sure. Due to their latest announcement to "attack Guam", this only furthers my suspicions that they are doing this as some sort of way to get attention, actively announcing where you were going to attack, how and when... I can't imagine anyone, even NK being that stupid, so that can't be their ultimatum.

Ravofox likes this.
  10. SSJ3Mewtwo

You would think that, but that's the thought process of someone who is sane.

Kim is not.

And when it comes to insanity, especially insanity that is supported by a government which is structured to regard that insanity as 'divine insight', all cards are on the table. People are right to be worried.

11. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

ahhh kimmy j.

12. Ramjet556

Crazy he is but suicidal he is not..

Two option are on the table here..
    Shun the peckers to total isolation (minus China) and let the regime collapse from within.Even if it doesn't happen it's not like they could afford to expand their power beyond there borders.
    Or kinetic action that will leave 100's of thousands dead in hours,a crippled first world economy country,all with an international community that will place the blame squarely on us for that chaos..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  13. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

That fat fuck needs to be put down, not us nor ''his'' people like him. The sooner the US put their military to good use for once the better

14. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

As someone who just returned from a deployment in that part of the world, I've got mixed feelings about this. Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, much like his father before him, has made similar threats in the past to the point where it'd be expected that all he's doing is crying wolf in spite of all his sabre-rattling. It'd be dangerous not to take the threats seriously, but with such a track record of empty threats and overblown hype over the years it's rather difficult to think of it as being otherwise.

Saiko and Yakamaru like this.
  15. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. North Korea's nuclear capabilities are still questionable. Their missile technology is still not fully-developed and is still unreliable as far as we know. It's believed that North Korea has only been developing nuclear weapons since the 1990s. Technologically, they lag behind America's nuclear capability by 57 years or so. They are also not likely to have a large number of warheads. Even in the very recent past, their nuclear weapons program has been beset by technical problems and failures. They likely still have a long way to go in terms of perfecting their missile technology, warheads, ensuring the accuracy of a missile or warhead, and ensuring reliable detonation of a warhead. It's also unknown if a North Korean warhead would even be able to survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

Also, keep in mind that the Norks have always been blusterous, aggressive in their rhetoric, and already long known for their brinkmanship. It's just saber-rattling most likely, intended to scare us into giving them diplomatic concessions. You have to look at the motive behind North Korea's nuclear weapons program. That country is so poor, weak, and isolated that having nuclear weapons is the only serious bargaining chip that they have in dealing with other countries. It gives them the ability to put some weight behind their demands. It is the only thing that really enables them to negotiate from a position of strength. I believe that this is largely a bluff by Kim to test our nerve, in the hope that we will cave under pressure. He is also asserting North Korea's right to develop a nuclear arsenal, and it also reinforces his image among his own people as a strong and formidable leader who can stand up to the rest of the world, and the US in particular.

Kim's mental state may be questionable, but I'm sure he's not stupid or deluded enough to order an unprovoked nuclear strike on the US or any of our territories in the Pacific, knowing full well that if he ever actually did (which may or may not be successful given the dubious reliability of their technology) he would be giving us no choice but to retaliate. And he knows full well that the US has possessed a much larger, much more advanced and reliable nuclear capability, many times anything he's likely got, for over half a century. He knows that we could totally incinerate North Korea, wipe out the entire population and his regime along with it, and leave the country an empty, radioactive wasteland for hundreds of years. With this in mind, I don't think he'd be keen to overplay his hand.

Also, the US has an anti-nuclear defensive capability as well. Even though it's not a solid shield against a large scale attack by a technologically advanced enemy, it should be more than capable of defending the US from a North Korean missile. We have ground-based interceptor missiles in Alaska and in California at Vandenberg Air Force Base. The Navy also has a number of destroyers equipped with the Aegis ballistic missile defense system, which is capable of taking out an ICBM. The Japanese and Australian navies have this capability too. There is also the Army's THAAD system, which can intercept a North Korean ICBM in the upper atmosphere or above the atmosphere.

In short, I don't think this whole thing is as serious yet as the media is making it out to be (as usual).

I really doubt that Trump said anything of the sort. The key word here is "allegedly". You know how the internet is: full of rumors and bullshit. If Trump did say anything like that, it would constitute a huge blow to his credibility as POTUS, since it is his lawful, sworn duty to faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and part of that includes protecting ALL of the states in the union and our territories. Willfully neglecting that duty would be a breach of his oath and treasonous.

And I think you and all your furiends will be just fine.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  16. Tomin

Tomin New Member

Reminded me of this:

17. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Simo likes this.
  18. Norros

Norros Guest

This thread is like

Simo likes this.
  19. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

As much as the stereotype of the "ugly dumbass American" has some basis in reality, "smug sidewalk question" videos like this one are disingenuous at best, not least of all by painting the intellect of a population using cherrypicked ditzy responses from one prominently ditzy location.

20. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

This whole situation just makes me pretty pissed. As previously stated, North Korea's only bargaining chip is to scare people. They've been doing that for decades. What really worries me is how President Trump has been taking the bait. War is not a game!!!

Simo and Ravofox like this.