The situation with North Korea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gushousekai195, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MAN_BURD

MAN_BURD Member

These videos are primarily made for humor, though, not as an accurate sample of US intelligence. Trying to apply it as a proper analysis is where it gets disingenuous, and no one in this thread has done that so far.

2. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

Pffft, the title of that video is all wrong... It should read "How Many Californians Know Where North Korea Is?"

These days, California is about as American as Quebec...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. Ravofox

Ravofox And a few other fursonas as well

I agree completely with your assessment. And Trump too is just saying stuff to look tough.

Ramjet556 and Simo like this.
  4. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

[​IMG] one of my friends sent me this on Discord. I couldn't resist. sorry

Ramjet556, Yakamaru and Ravofox like this.
  5. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

What is it with american government constantly bickering with everybody?

Ravofox, Norros and Simo like this.
  6. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

I hope that this doesn't derail the thread, but what makes California "Un-American"? I feel like that's a recurring insult that blue states get, like my home, Massachusetts.

Ravofox and Simo like this.
  7. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Safe to say that it is a derail.

I wouldn't say that California is "Un-American" but rather that its brand of Americanism is... peculiar. It's not specifically related to the colour-coding that oversimplifies elections either, as Colin Woodard explains in American Nations.

8. FluffyShutterbug

Oki...
    Anyway, I'll steer us back on topic.
    What I find most nerve-wracking about the entire situation with NK is how Trump is saying how we'll retaliate to THREATS, not ACTIONS. While I do highly doubt that Trump will do anything as stupid as launch a preemptive strike on North Korea, because that'll guarantee that China'll refuse to help or worse, come to NK's defense, I still think it's a horrible idea to bluff a bluff. That'd only A, throw gasoline on the fire, and B, make us look like the boy who cried wolf in a situation where we would need to make an ultimatum like that.

9. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

I wouldn't underestimate Trump, he has a track record of doing dumb things to prove he can. In general, we have a conflict between two of the most impulsive rulers on this planet, so yeah, we're all going to die soon, lol

AustinB, KittenCozy and Simo like this.
  10. Simo

Simo Skunk

They seem very similar, in ways, those two: and both strike me as something of over-grown babies, awash in their own egos and little worlds of elite luxury and playthings. But the impulsiveness is the scary thing, here, as you say; I'm guessing calmer minds will prevail, but geez, this has the potential to get ugly

but if we're all going to die soon, I just bought tickets to see Randy Newman, at a small venue, for more than I ever paid to see anyone, his sarcasm is needed now. Maybe he can be president!

Ravofox likes this.
  11. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

Best video!

Not only politically ignorant, but geographically ignorant, too.. Best combination. :D

Also: Quebec? Seriously? That's an insult to Quebecians, bro.

A bit more ontopic:

12. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

North Korea won't do shit. They've done this so many times before, it's honestly just a joke at this point. If North Korea actually went to war with us, they'd have their entire army and country in shambles before the year ends.

Yakamaru likes this.
  13. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Sure thing, DPRK bluffed a ton of times before, but they're in an increasingly desperate position, and when their nation slowly gets to such crappy state that the only thing they'll eventually have behind them are some nukes, I don't think they would hesitate to use those nukes in one way or another. Keep in mind that they don't really have that much to lose at this point. Not to mention how much effort they actually put this time - previously, it was more or less along the lines of "boo, fear us, we're gonna bomb ya one day", but now it comes to legitimate tests and preparations, so there's something to worry about.

AustinB likes this.
  14. Shane McNair

I would have to disagree with this somewhat. I really don't think Trump is quite as impulsive as you say he is, especially when dealing with a nuclear-armed country.

On the other hand, I don't think it's completely untrue either. I was enormously critical of his half-cocked, ill-considered Tomahawk missile strike on that Syrian air base back in April. I saw it as an incredibly stupid and illogical move. Not only did it likely have a bad impact Syria's ability to conduct airstrikes against ISIS (who we're supposedly fighting), it also took away from their air force's ability to provide air support to their troops defending a nearby Christian town. The strike also served to needlessly piss off and further isolate Russia, who could be a fantastic ally for us in dealing with ISIS if we would simply allow them to be that.

I still sort of want to give Trump the benefit of the doubt on this. I think his rash decision might have been influenced by neocon warhawks in his administration (aka "the swamp"), and intentionally misleading intelligence. But still, it only reaffirms and strengthens my belief that the US government as a whole really has no genuine interest in dealing with ISIS, or trying to help restore any semblance of stability in the Middle East. The government and media are lying to us, as usual.

15. FluffyShutterbug

So... If nukes were to be exchanged, what would most likely be hit?

16. Shane McNair

North Korea's missiles are easily within range of South Korea and Japan. Those countries could get hit. It's also very possible that they could reach Guam. It's not known for sure if North Korea's missiles would be able to reach Hawaii or Alaska, but they might be able to. Anything beyond that is doubtful, but nobody really knows for sure.

And this is all assuming that a North Korean missile will function as intended, and not blow up during launch.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  17. FluffyShutterbug

Huh... Glad I live in the Northeast, then.

18. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

19. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Nothing of significant value, I'd wager. The Norks' indigenous ICBM R&D capabilities are sorely limited as is, and their state media runs more like a hyped-up propaganda machine than a reliable news source compared to most others. The Norks would also have to be insane to think that using a nuclear-tipped stick to poke the eagle-shaped bear is good for their collective health. At most they'd likely attempt to "retaliate" by hitting a soft target (small arsenals like theirs don't offer many other options) to show that they mean business, but that's just as much of a death sentence anyway.

20. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

one of the fucked up things about America's economy is that it requires war to function WW2 is what got America out of the great depression and turned it into a super power but they never really got rid of that crutch and even now their economy requires conflict to survive