Thoughts on my art?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by ChosenUndeaad, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ChosenUndeaad

ChosenUndeaad Edgelord™

2. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Technically competent enough, but a bit "styleless", I guess? It's highly subjective of course, but to me it looks like something from dozens and hundreds of other "tumblr artists", with simplistic and passable artstyle (human characters in particular), and almost complete lack of scenery or underlying plot in majority of drawings, which kinda enforces that impression. I'll suggest you to put more work into studying composition and character design - I think it will help you make your drawings look much more fresh and inventive. You have a lot of potential, so yeah, go for it!

3. ChosenUndeaad

ChosenUndeaad Edgelord™

@Pipistrele Well, I can assure you that I'm practicing everyday on my sketchbook (expecially for poses, anatomy and backgrounds) and that the characters I draw the most all have their own stories and personalities which took me over an year to develope, and I'm still working on them to make them more real, I could say. Also yes, i guess that my style doesn't really have something that sticks out, but I like it anyway because I know that it won't remain the same and it will change once again |D

4. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

I appreciate it and think you're moving in right direction, but again, it's hard to get better at composition in character design if you're not doing any practice particularly on composition and character design, which is an impression I have from looking at your dA gallery .з. Speaking of latter, character design isn't really about "characters being complex", but more about "characters representing themselves and their story through their looks". In other words, character can be incredibly well-written and rounded, but when he looks like a generic "red-nosed steampunk prettydude" (common in tumblr fanart communities) or "generic anime prettyguy" (common in anime fanart communities), he will appear bland and uninteresting, no matter how complex he actually is. There's a good video on that matter that explains basics of character design in simple and entertaining manner, so I'll attach it below. There's a good emphasis on inventive use of shapes and symbols, something your chars kinda lack (proportions are mostly the same, for example).

Again, not trying to discourage or thrash you. Just trying to give some (probably) constructive criticism, since, again, I think you have a lot of potential, and your drawings are competent enough, you just need to experiment a bit more and go outside of the "standing guys/gals and some abstract background" box more often c:

KittenCozy likes this.