Tips for a first furry congoer?

Discussion in 'Furry Conventions' started by Plentyblush, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Plentyblush

Plentyblush New Member

Hello all!

I have started making plans to to to TFF (Texas Furry Fiesta) in February of 2018. I plan on rooming with my boyfriend, and some friends he has introduced me to.
    This will be my first furry convention, though I have been to many anime conventions in the past. I will also be wearing a partial ( my first suit, so exciting! ).

I'm wondering if perhaps furry con veterans would have any tips for me, especially ones for suiting and keeping in character! I'd like to make sure I'm fully prepared.
    (also I will be flying across state borders-- if anyone has advice for TSA checks/flying with a fursuit please let me know!! )

Thanks so much!

aloveablebunny likes this.
  2. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

I noticed you hadn't had any replies on this; if you're still looking for information there are a couple other TFF threads floating about...

Good luck and count me officially jealous ;)

3. Telnac

Telnac Fundamentalist Heretic

Save up some $$$ for the Dealer's Den (or whatever the TFF calls the room(s) where artists sell their wares or get commissions.) There's nothing worse than attending a con and seeing some perfect piece of art that you can't afford because you blew it all on your con tix/hotel/travel!

4. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Ugh I know the feeling.. I have anthro northwest coming up next month.. between the ticket, the drive, and the hotel, im like almost 1k in... so Im working 11 days straight with at least 18 hours of overtime to cover for some additional spending money

5. Open_Mind

Bloody hell, that's alot of money. Shame it's so pricey -- have a blast!

6. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Yea mostly the hotel costs, I booked for the entire event.. Thursday through Sunday, plus patron level ticket at 150 bucks... but its my first furcon since I got into the fandom almost 20 years ago.. and its also my first furcon where im going by myself... the fuzz.. in a hotel.. at a furcon... for 3 days... lol just think of the possibilities...

Open_Mind likes this.
  7. RivendellWolf

RivendellWolf Ryvahn

Cons ain't cheap for sure. I'll be attending my first one next week hopefully and then 2 more in November. Unless my suit doesn't show up...

8. Open_Mind

Wow, a long wait. And here I was getting ancy about waiting 6 months (Fur the More in DC, April '18).

Depending on your situation and preferences, it's likely you could team up with other folks -- i.e. get a roommate or two or three. Can really help with splitting the hotel cost. And while I don't have any personal experience (yet), I've also heard it makes going to the con a hell of a lot more fun!

9. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Liam and I want to start going to more cons together, I think we're going to start planning for the one in Reno after Anthro NorthWest. Honestly mostly its the hotel costs that gets you... that and the amount of money you drop at the dealers den. I know a lot of these cons have fullsuit dealers... with hefty price tags.

10. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Its true, Im splitting the cost of my room for the con this year, although I dumped the other half of the hotel cost into my lion suit

Open_Mind likes this.
  11. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

12. RivendellWolf

RivendellWolf Ryvahn

Yeah, I may be buying a suit at MFF if things continue the way they have been!:(

13. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Still haven't gotten any sort of real product from that maker? Dude.... I don't even know how you are so calm about this... especially at that price tag

14. RivendellWolf

RivendellWolf Ryvahn

Still optimistic at this point, but admittedly a bit concerned.

15. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Next time, please ask your friends before committing that kind of money to an unknown artist ;)

16. RivendellWolf

RivendellWolf Ryvahn

Switching to PM...

17. aloveablebunny

aloveablebunny don't pull my ears!

Might see you there! I likely will be going with my partner as well. It would be a first for both of us, too. I do not have a suit though :(

18. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

Go with friends already established in the fandom but also make space to do you own thing for some events at con. Pace yourself if it's an all-weekend thing.

19. Troj

Troj Well-Known Member

Be sure to adhere to the 6-2-1 rule. That means 6 hours of sleep each night, 2 meals a day, and 1 shower a day.

You may benefit from attending the "It's Your First Con"-type panel.

Bring a good camera!

I'd say, generally don't plan on attending too many panels. Maybe pick a few that sound exciting, but your greatest memories will be made just wandering around and meeting people and happening to catch random happenstance events and interactions in the halls.

Open_Mind likes this.
  20. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

I agree with this... I planned on hitting all the panels at Anthro Northwest, however we really didn't hit many of them, too many things going on at the same time.