Tips for a Foam Body (and other things)

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by Clever Girl, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Clever Girl

Clever Girl New Member

I'm going to be starting a (Jurassic Park) Velociraptor costume soon and this will be my first experience with upholstery foam and while I'm always up for using new materials, I don't like feeling like I'm going in blind.

This video eased my mind a bit, but it's using pre-made templates for the head, whereas I'm going to need to pattern everything:

How do I go about creating my own templates for the body? I have a realistic Velociraptor figure but it's 1:18 scale. Is there some way I can use that? What I'm most clueless about with foam shaping is darts and knowing where to cut them. Are there any golden rules when it comes to them?

Also a question of comfort; I'm aiming for an anatomically correct raptor, which is going to be a nightmare, as seen here:
    [​IMG]

Rather than hunching forward like in the photo, I'm going to put my full weight forward, bend practically 90 degrees horizontal and use a counterbalance in the tail to keep my centre of gravity on my hips. Hopefully it will take some strain off my back if I'm not constantly almost toppling forwards. But I have a feeling I'll still get a lot of back pain. As for the head, I'm planning on having an extension with jaw attached to my jaw, like this:

[​IMG]

This will require me to tilt my head back since I'm leaning forward and I'm guessing will be another stress point. Sore back and sore neck won't be fun. I was wondering if anyone out there knows or has experience with fursuits that put a lot of strain on the back and neck, and any solutions that may alleviate them (even if just a little)?