Tips on Consistent Art?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Rowdy, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy New Member

I'm having issues drawing my fursona Boon with consistent proportions every times. I'm making a ref sheet, but are there any other helpful tips? For instance, the length of her tail (it's long and dragon-y, she's a luckdragon) is driving me nuts! Any advice is gratefully appreciated!

Pic attached if it helps

Attached Files:

2. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Obviously, create a character "model" guide with front, profile, back, etc. views for reference. Once you're happy with what you've got, take note of the sizes to each limb in comparison to one another and their head size. Heads (or circles) are a good shape to measure with because of their shape. How many "heads" tall is your character? From a straight-on angle, how many "heads" long is their arm? Legs? Tail? How many "heads" is their torso made of? Note approximate tail length and width, etc. Draw the character standing near another person or object to reference height. Even if your character is off/on model once or twice, nobody is going to notice a few slight variation in size or scale between illustrations. BUT...if you keep drawing them next to ANOTHER character, the size difference between them will be way more noticeable.

As for her tail, it's your choice whether it's shorter or longer. Me, i like longer tails. Some of my characters have long tails (butt to floor) longer tails (%150 the distance from butt to floor) and some are shorter (butt to calf). i can always get away with fudging the size of certain tails because some of them are extra fluffy. Fluff can disguise the length and curve. Scalie tails are a bit harder to fudge so you might want to nail down a more precise measurement. i would approximate butt-to-floor length unless you want something more expressive.

[​IMG]
    With a head-to-whatever size chart, you can ballpark the proper size and length of most limbs regardless of angle, curve or bend.

kidchameleon and Rowdy like this.
  3. Rowdy

Rowdy New Member

What a fantastic response! I was vaguely aware of the "head" measuring, but the pic provided is perfect! And you're right about the character's size in reference to another, that's really useful to keep in mind!
    Thank you!

4. Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach Taste purple

Set up reference points for your character that is easy for you to remember.

For example, saying something like "hands are almost as large as the head" and "Shoulder is 2.5 head in width" will go a long way in fixing how large the head usually is and then, that also fixes the hand. When this starts adding up to 6-7 points that you remember by heart, it's much easier to draw stuff consistently.

5. Rowdy

Rowdy New Member

Thank you! Maybe I'll make a little note with my reference points! :)

6. elvenboyslut

elvenboyslut Cartoonist

If you want consistency, you want to just sketch the structure over and over in different poses. Use photos or have someone pose for you. Kind of like this.
    Practice like this develops muscle memory, so your hand will control your proportions instead of you having to think about it.