Trends in furry character designs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Firehazard, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Firehazard

Firehazard I can fix it!

I made a journal post about this recently, but I guess people don't pay attention to those anymore so I'll see if I can get any bites here. Way back in 2009, I created a character who was meant to be a mashup of as many common tropes in furry character design as I could find to create the ultimate stereotypical character—without going all the way over into "lolsparkledogz" territory. The result was a blue klee kai dog (though she swears she's 1/10th wolf) that I named "Klee Shay", and this is what she looked like.

[​IMG]

She also has a "toon" form, which is basically the same minus the clothes, and more recently with a bandana instead of a collar because that's the new thing these days:

[​IMG]

But it's been almost eight years. Surely things have changed in all that time. But other than the bandana thing, there haven't been any emerging trends that have stuck out to me. I think I'm out of touch. I don't really hang out in furry circles nearly as often I used to. Actually I never had any solid plans for her outfit, which is why I've pretty much only drawn the toon version since then.

So what am I missing, guys? What's the hot new thing nowadays? Links to specific examples would be appreciated.

Activoid, WolfNightV4X1 and sbm1990 like this.
  2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Everyone wants to be unique. In that essence, no one is unique. When everyone wanna be unique, then no one is. Which is why I went in the opposite direction, with a much more common species(black wolf), and simple and plain colouring, and work on the backstory instead.

A lot of people wants to be a Dutch Angel Dragon(I quite frankly, still have no idea what this is, but a lot of people want to be one) something something, with colour schemes/species mixes that, would practically wanna make you never wanna go onto the internet ever again. Some character designs are just.... Ugh. No comment.

Personally at least, I'd just design my own character based upon how I want him/her, and give zero fucks about trends.

That being said: Your character's looking nice. Cool design, and cute.

ChapterAquila92 and AustinB like this.
  3. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

You forgot disgusting neon colours splattered about
    Breasts that would make cows jealous
    A pattern on the skin (usually a paw print)
    1 eye covered by hair

Step up that game senpai

For best results the lyrics of this song will show you the way

Impulse-8, AustinB and Yakamaru like this.
  4. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Perfect.

Depending on what tropes you're aiming for, she clearly needs a scar over one eye, hair over the other, snaggletooth, huge boobs and an uncomfortable bulge in her pants. Also, her feral/toon form needs thigh-high socks to match her arm-warmers.

Amiir, Rant and Yakamaru like this.
  5. ZacAttackk

ZacAttackk professional procrastinator

When they have paw print patterns on their butt

Amiir and WolfNightV4X1 like this.
  6. Sergei Sóhomo

I knew I forgot something

Zenoth and Rant like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox This is what the fandom did to me!

And now everyone wants to be a Sergal or a Rabbit. They're starting to become as common as Wolves and Foxes these days. Funny thing though, I don't usually follow social trends, I picked a Fox well before I knew they were "popular".

Zenoth and Yakamaru like this.
  8. Sergei Sóhomo

Yet no one ever does the superior race of all

Birds

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox This is what the fandom did to me!

Or better yet, the fabled Birdfox.

[​IMG]

But really, all I see is lunch.

[​IMG]

10. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Otherwise known as Fords.

11. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Foxes are trendy as hell, thinking about it

12. sbm1990

sbm1990 Folf Guitarist

I love foxes/vixens regardless of how trendy they are. Speaking of which, if furry chicks with sidebangs/flippy hair continues to be a thing, I approve of it. =3

13. KeitoTheMidnightFox

KeitoTheMidnightFox ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I love foxes too. Reason why my fursona is a fox. I didnt pick him to be a fox cuz hey foxes!!!!! Nah, all my life I have always adored foxes and they just felt so close to me spiritually. And since I have tons of tats and quite a few are foxes. I thought heh my fursona should be a fox.
    But I can see how foxes can tend to be a trendy thing.

I say, be what you are! :)

sbm1990 likes this.
  14. sbm1990

sbm1990 Folf Guitarist

Dont you just love it when some furries are always like "WHY UR FURSONA HAVE 2 BE FOX OR WOLF? CANT U BE MOAR ORIGINAL?!!!!!!!" I fucking hate furries that are like that. Frfr Its like if you want to see a rainbow colored dragon/cow/pig hybrid OC that bad, make it yourself! Ill stick to being a folf guitarist. =3

15. JumboWumbo

JumboWumbo Banned in two states.

I've noticed a lot of characters tend to have fur.

I'm still trying to figure out why, but my research has not given me any answers yet.

Randon, Zenoth and Rant like this.
  16. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

A shitty car manufacturing company that can barely manage to keep their shares above 10 dollars? Not very nice.

17. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

Our natural fashion sense tends to be envied by most other species, gays tend to dress the best after all.

18. Glaedr

Glaedr King of Laziness

I never really notice a change in trends. I feel like it's always avians, canines, or reptilians. I'm guilty of this too, though. I try my best to be original when making a commonly used species, but quite frankly, it's incredibly hard to do these days. It feels like everyone has thought of everything. I'll have made a character and about a week later I see one almost just like it. It's always frustrating.

Anyway, those three seem like the most common to me. Reptilian is probably a little broad, though. I'd say I'm seeing a lot of...dragons? Yeah.

19. sbm1990

sbm1990 Folf Guitarist

Dragons seem to be pretty popular lately. Something Ive been seeing alot of lately in FA is inflation. Not a big fan of it, nor do I get it, but hey whatever floats their boats.

20. Mobius

Mobius Mech pilot.

This.
    image.jpg

dozenfish, Zenoth, Yvvki and 7 others like this.