Trends in furry character designs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Firehazard, Mar 29, 2017.

1. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

Tis true! Not all species can endure the inherent gayness of a fox, a real tragedy, because we're quite fab!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Zenoth, sbm1990 and nerdbat like this.
  2. Glaedr

Glaedr King of Laziness

Thanks for the advice. ^^ I've actually been applying one of those things very recently, so I guess I'm on the right track! I haven't given much thought to clothing and style before, but I'm messing around with that as of this very moment. :3

3. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

Wow, that's super gay.

4. Firehazard

Firehazard I can fix it!

That does sound familiar but I can't think of any specific examples. Got any handy?

One specific thing I have noticed popping up is those double-wristband tattoos, one thin and one thick and usually on both wrists. Like the ones Keovi's fursona has. Anyone know if that has, like, cultural significance to a certain group of real people, like maybe it's a tribal marking from *mumbles incoherently* or something? I'd hate to step on any toes by implying it's something lazy designers put on their characters just for shiggles.

5. virtually everyones fursona is a hybrid of some sort.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Rant likes this.
  6. Simo

Simo Skunk

This does seem to increasingly be the case...you don't see nearly as many single species fursonas.

7. Bum Bear

Bum Bear Your friendly neighborhood Bum Bear

All ya need is a bear o-o.
    We are the master race, especially the Bums.

Although would like to see a whale (Beluga or narwhal) or a giraffe because
    Wynaut?

8. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% Weaponized Autism

*cough* Mine's a single-species..*cough*

I do agree though, there are quite a lot of 2+ species combinations out there.

9. Randon

Randon Harbinger of Bullshenanigans

Too many dragons, not enough variety in reptiles. Come on, it'd be cool to see a chameleon or an iguana or some shit; we could even throw in some snakes, some cobras or snapping turtles.

Or maybe we could go the complete opposite route and be a kiwi because kiwis are the best. Kiwis are like if you were to take the attributes of a hedgehog and a duck, and attached them to a T rex the size of a tea cup. Then you decided to give that tiny T rex-hedge-duck a bendy straw for his cute little face because you knew that the tea cup the he sipped and sat in would eventually brew him into a fine sir.

Amiir, WolfNightV4X1 and Rant like this.
  10. my vote is for anoles majestic colorful neck flaps for all!

Randon likes this.
  11. Randon

Yes, it is indeed a wonderful animal. reptile-lizard-1.jpg

After searching the sky far and wide I have found not a dragon nor bird. But finally we have this fine specimen.

Fords, say hello to Lords.

Rant, Filter and AustinB like this.
  12. some hybrids are too beautiful for this world

13. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Maximor_Bloodpanda The True Anti-Conformist

Fads include big stupid ears (so they can hear you roast them from a mile away), fucking wings (for all those "special" little fagollas, even when their specie shouldn't have wings), massive tits, oversized dicks (people who feature this on their fursonas are quite the opposite in real life lol), hideous color combinations, deformed proportions (like when the waist is so fucking wide compared to the rest of the body), big stupid tails (they should be off-balance at that point), stupid personalities (I can really see them in their character), and much more which would be too much to add here.

Compared to other characters I've seen, the OP's character is pretty goddamn original.

14. Vyyan

Vyyan When thunder rolls, thunder butter- old proverb

Not sure if it's a recent trend or slightly older (I can't keep track of time), but i keep seeing a lot of "toxic" themed characters. Usualy named toxic or some variation thereof. Usually black and green, bonus points if the green is glowing. It's extra bad because i wanted to make a character based on the flag of anarcho-primitivism (black and green) but it turns out it's a "thing". Also, rainbows. I'm usually always up for a good rainbow, but stop. Just, like, don't. Even of it's well designed, the bad ones kinda ruin it :(

Randon, WolfNightV4X1 and Rant like this.
  15. spacerogue

spacerogue New Member

I seriously have no idea whats trendy atm, to me it looks like there has been a growth of Sergals, a decline of furry dragons, and I haven't seen any of those rave colored raptors in years, but for the rest it looks like its pretty stagnant and the first picture OP posted still looks like it could fits today's quota by my meager experience. I haven't really payed attention to sites like FA or DA for at least 5 years but at quick glance it feels like very little has changed. Sparkledogs are still a thing, goth and emo have been replaced by 'edgy' but are still the same imo.

Nah, I could post literally over a dozen of toxic inspired characters if it wasnt that the artist have taken things down,or have left the internet completely, because they where nearly a decade old.

Oh, this is a fad now ? Guess I'm officially a hipster HUEHUE

16. Ginza

Ginza Unironically Ironic

Certainly lots of canines and vulpine type characters out there. There's also tons of hybrids of the two, not my choice but hey man, you do you.

My fursona is pretty bland, but I think that's part of what makes him great. He's just a plain ass gray wolf. So yeah, generic, but I like it enough

17. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

I laughed harder than I should

18. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Dont forget the radioactive symbol

Other trends (not sure if recent but theyre out there:

Tailmaw

Zootopia style drawings

Rainbow sona

telegram sticker expressions

Pawprint on the buttcheek (or other area) is a big one but credit to the other person for that mention

Symbols in general (which, on fur, doesnt make much sense to me)

Sergals, Angel dragons

...aaaand thats all I can think of o.o

19. Aces

Aces Member

Hybrids are actually pretty awesome for both "toony" stuff, self-represebtation *and* as subjects for realistic art.
    Being able to realisticly meld the physiology of, say, a bear and a tiger, is a truly masterful skill level.

Activoid likes this.
  20. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

Back in 2003 or so, I used to think that a majority of the art styles were incestuous (what I mean by that: everyone was drawing inspiration from each other in the fandom, but never bothered to look outside the fandom for other styles or forms of art, just the ones they idealized like Don Bluth, Disney, Warner Bros., etc.)... and so I perceived the furry community as this swirling stew of people who all drew the same-faced wolf or fox fursonas, with the exception of having different colored fur. But when color wasn't enough, then it was time to accessorize! Oh, the accessories...

And thus, that was my introduction to the sparkledog.

But I mean, there are still quite a few people who have original styles. Either because they developed them through practice, or got inspiration outside of the fandom, studied how to draw animals, whatever it may be. But when everyone is trying to copy each other within the fandom, it just gets sad and redundant to browse art on FurAffinity. And again, the only way I can describe the art style you are describing is "incestuous". But it's really not like that anymore. There are way more artists out there now, learning resources are more widely available on the internet, and there is a lot of creativity going around.

KittenCozy likes this.
  21. That one style of art that originated from tumblr where everything is puffy. I mean, it's not necessarily bad but I see it so much It's artistically draining.
    Also, the artists almost always have some sort of "trans" status, accompanied with pronouns and a webpage devoted on how to properly interact with them since they have xyz personality disorder.
    ... Like on tumblr.

Examples:

www.furaffinity.net: Cassius Reference Sheet by choweh
    www.furaffinity.net: [C] busts for Mew & Ianto by ForestFright
    www.furaffinity.net: mischievous by kleineBar

Activoid likes this.
  22. Doodle Bunny

Doodle Bunny Frequently says stupid things.

I notice a lot of pastel fursonas recently. Also very round, chunky sorts of designs all around. That's the only new-ish trend I've seen that no one else has mentioned here.

Activoid likes this.
  23. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

Tumblr seems to have its own artisphere as well where certain art types are more widespread and well-liked than others. Graphic art and things that look kinda like Adventure Time or The Amazing World of Gumball or Steven Universe seem to fly much further than other art styles on there. And that includes things outside of the furry fandom, too.

24. True. It's just lame to see it becoming rampent throughout the fur community. I need my safespace too -___-

Activoid likes this.
  25. Randon

I have no problem with colors. Although occasionally it may seem that way because I draw in lead pencil for the most part and each and every time I implement a color 90% of the time its mainly red.

The main thing with colors is that you have to pair them right. Its best not to puke rainbows, its nausiating and makes everyone in the nearby vicinity want to have a seizure.

A moral I like to keep when it comes to designing characters is to keep the design simple, and if you're going to add something have a reason to do so.

For example, my dog character is a clown, I've added a mask or toy-like head with bull horns and a bullseye on the head to compliment the chaotic nature of the character and to reference party traditions such as bull fighting. I have three bandanas tied together like the clown hankerchief gag but looped around the shoulders. She is also made of toy parts to reflect her childlike mannerisms and attitude. Now you see, this all fits.

Now, rainbows and percings on a wolf just for the sake of rainbow colors and peircings is needlessly excessive for something that doesn't describe what the character does or is very well. I feel like what is expressed on the exterior should reflect at least some of the interior. Things such as body shape, head shape, eye shape should be explored a bit more. Because the way a character walks and carries themself is a telling trait. What do you think of when a character with a large and broad body frame? Maybe this character walks with drooped heavy arms that sort of drag a little. Perhaps this character is lazy. Or maybe another example, what a about a character that likes to wear mittens or socks on their hands. Maybe this character dislikes the cold, has sensitive skin, or maybe is a huge germaphobe and refuses to take them off.

But really, if somebody wants to add a peircing or any other accessory just because they like it, there is no problem with that. It doesn't have to always be symbolic and shit. I have a gold hoop in one of her horns, it wasn't that significant but I added it anyway. Just don't go adding a hundred different peircings and accessories in one sitting. Unless you happen to be going for the look of last years christmas decor that has overstayed welcome.

But with all physical traits aside, in the end the real meat of any character is their character, personallity and depth makes a character stand out from the rest.

KittenCozy likes this.