Trends in furry character designs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Firehazard, Mar 29, 2017.

1. YukineAlterma

YukineAlterma Fox of Time

I swear that is the happiest dog I have ever seen in my life, but it is not far off.

I feel like the new trend these days are having tons of multiple colors to pop out of the crowd and appear shiny! Then again everyone has their own preference and there is nothing wrong with that x3

2. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

It should be insects.

Because we are super stronk and beautiful

But seriously, it's all over the place. The most common is still the neon colored canine whatever. No big surprise.

Amiir likes this.
  3. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

The problem is no matter how fancy your clothes are, you still look gay :^)

I would suggest you to double down on character design (traits, elements of clothing, implementation of shapes, etc.) - it's the meat of your character's uniquness, really. Just for example, there are tons of instantly memorable and irreplicable human characters in both western (Disney, Looney Toons) or eastern (Studio Ghibli, things like "Cowboy Bebop" and "Ghost In The Shell") animation, and humans are pretty much the most commonly used species around :D And that also explains why so many sparkledogs and dutch angel dragons look so dull and boring - species are fancy, but design behind the chars is often non-existent.

Zenoth, ChapterAquila92 and Randon like this.
  4. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

I'm all for the battos. Does that mean we're mortal enemies now?

Zenoth likes this.
  5. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

1. Not nocturnal, so I don't have to worry about that
    2. Big species of fly, no bat wants to tussle with me

Bats are no enemy to me.

nerdbat likes this.
  6. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

Tis true! Not all species can endure the inherent gayness of a fox, a real tragedy, because we're quite fab!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Zenoth, sbm1990 and nerdbat like this.
  7. Glaedr

Glaedr King of Laziness

Thanks for the advice. ^^ I've actually been applying one of those things very recently, so I guess I'm on the right track! I haven't given much thought to clothing and style before, but I'm messing around with that as of this very moment. :3

8. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

Wow, that's super gay.

9. Firehazard

Firehazard I can fix it!

That does sound familiar but I can't think of any specific examples. Got any handy?

One specific thing I have noticed popping up is those double-wristband tattoos, one thin and one thick and usually on both wrists. Like the ones Keovi's fursona has. Anyone know if that has, like, cultural significance to a certain group of real people, like maybe it's a tribal marking from *mumbles incoherently* or something? I'd hate to step on any toes by implying it's something lazy designers put on their characters just for shiggles.

10. virtually everyones fursona is a hybrid of some sort.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Rant likes this.
  11. Simo

Simo Skunk

This does seem to increasingly be the case...you don't see nearly as many single species fursonas.

12. Bum Bear

Bum Bear Your friendly neighborhood Bum Bear

All ya need is a bear o-o.
    We are the master race, especially the Bums.

Although would like to see a whale (Beluga or narwhal) or a giraffe because
    Wynaut?

13. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

*cough* Mine's a single-species..*cough*

I do agree though, there are quite a lot of 2+ species combinations out there.

14. Randon

Randon Harbinger of Bullshenanigans

Too many dragons, not enough variety in reptiles. Come on, it'd be cool to see a chameleon or an iguana or some shit; we could even throw in some snakes, some cobras or snapping turtles.

Or maybe we could go the complete opposite route and be a kiwi because kiwis are the best. Kiwis are like if you were to take the attributes of a hedgehog and a duck, and attached them to a T rex the size of a tea cup. Then you decided to give that tiny T rex-hedge-duck a bendy straw for his cute little face because you knew that the tea cup the he sipped and sat in would eventually brew him into a fine sir.

Amiir, WolfNightV4X1 and Rant like this.
  15. my vote is for anoles majestic colorful neck flaps for all!

Randon likes this.
  16. Randon

Randon Harbinger of Bullshenanigans

Yes, it is indeed a wonderful animal. reptile-lizard-1.jpg

After searching the sky far and wide I have found not a dragon nor bird. But finally we have this fine specimen.

Fords, say hello to Lords.

Rant, Filter and AustinB like this.
  17. some hybrids are too beautiful for this world

18. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Maximor_Bloodpanda The True Anti-Conformist

Fads include big stupid ears (so they can hear you roast them from a mile away), fucking wings (for all those "special" little fagollas, even when their specie shouldn't have wings), massive tits, oversized dicks (people who feature this on their fursonas are quite the opposite in real life lol), hideous color combinations, deformed proportions (like when the waist is so fucking wide compared to the rest of the body), big stupid tails (they should be off-balance at that point), stupid personalities (I can really see them in their character), and much more which would be too much to add here.

Compared to other characters I've seen, the OP's character is pretty goddamn original.

19. Vyyan

Vyyan When thunder rolls, thunder butter- old proverb

Not sure if it's a recent trend or slightly older (I can't keep track of time), but i keep seeing a lot of "toxic" themed characters. Usualy named toxic or some variation thereof. Usually black and green, bonus points if the green is glowing. It's extra bad because i wanted to make a character based on the flag of anarcho-primitivism (black and green) but it turns out it's a "thing". Also, rainbows. I'm usually always up for a good rainbow, but stop. Just, like, don't. Even of it's well designed, the bad ones kinda ruin it :(

Randon, WolfNightV4X1 and Rant like this.
  20. spacerogue

spacerogue New Member

I seriously have no idea whats trendy atm, to me it looks like there has been a growth of Sergals, a decline of furry dragons, and I haven't seen any of those rave colored raptors in years, but for the rest it looks like its pretty stagnant and the first picture OP posted still looks like it could fits today's quota by my meager experience. I haven't really payed attention to sites like FA or DA for at least 5 years but at quick glance it feels like very little has changed. Sparkledogs are still a thing, goth and emo have been replaced by 'edgy' but are still the same imo.

Nah, I could post literally over a dozen of toxic inspired characters if it wasnt that the artist have taken things down,or have left the internet completely, because they where nearly a decade old.

Oh, this is a fad now ? Guess I'm officially a hipster HUEHUE