Trends in furry character designs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Firehazard, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Ginza

Ginza New Member

Certainly lots of canines and vulpine type characters out there. There's also tons of hybrids of the two, not my choice but hey man, you do you.

My fursona is pretty bland, but I think that's part of what makes him great. He's just a plain ass gray wolf. So yeah, generic, but I like it enough

2. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

I laughed harder than I should

3. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Dont forget the radioactive symbol

Other trends (not sure if recent but theyre out there:

Tailmaw

Zootopia style drawings

Rainbow sona

telegram sticker expressions

Pawprint on the buttcheek (or other area) is a big one but credit to the other person for that mention

Symbols in general (which, on fur, doesnt make much sense to me)

Sergals, Angel dragons

...aaaand thats all I can think of o.o

4. Aces

Aces Member

Hybrids are actually pretty awesome for both "toony" stuff, self-represebtation *and* as subjects for realistic art.
    Being able to realisticly meld the physiology of, say, a bear and a tiger, is a truly masterful skill level.

Activoid likes this.
  5. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

Back in 2003 or so, I used to think that a majority of the art styles were incestuous (what I mean by that: everyone was drawing inspiration from each other in the fandom, but never bothered to look outside the fandom for other styles or forms of art, just the ones they idealized like Don Bluth, Disney, Warner Bros., etc.)... and so I perceived the furry community as this swirling stew of people who all drew the same-faced wolf or fox fursonas, with the exception of having different colored fur. But when color wasn't enough, then it was time to accessorize! Oh, the accessories...

And thus, that was my introduction to the sparkledog.

But I mean, there are still quite a few people who have original styles. Either because they developed them through practice, or got inspiration outside of the fandom, studied how to draw animals, whatever it may be. But when everyone is trying to copy each other within the fandom, it just gets sad and redundant to browse art on FurAffinity. And again, the only way I can describe the art style you are describing is "incestuous". But it's really not like that anymore. There are way more artists out there now, learning resources are more widely available on the internet, and there is a lot of creativity going around.

KittenCozy likes this.
  6. That one style of art that originated from tumblr where everything is puffy. I mean, it's not necessarily bad but I see it so much It's artistically draining.
    Also, the artists almost always have some sort of "trans" status, accompanied with pronouns and a webpage devoted on how to properly interact with them since they have xyz personality disorder.
    ... Like on tumblr.

Examples:

www.furaffinity.net: Cassius Reference Sheet by choweh
    www.furaffinity.net: [C] busts for Mew & Ianto by ForestFright
    www.furaffinity.net: mischievous by kleineBar

Activoid likes this.
  7. Doodle Bunny

Doodle Bunny Frequently says stupid things.

I notice a lot of pastel fursonas recently. Also very round, chunky sorts of designs all around. That's the only new-ish trend I've seen that no one else has mentioned here.

Activoid likes this.
  8. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

Tumblr seems to have its own artisphere as well where certain art types are more widespread and well-liked than others. Graphic art and things that look kinda like Adventure Time or The Amazing World of Gumball or Steven Universe seem to fly much further than other art styles on there. And that includes things outside of the furry fandom, too.

9. True. It's just lame to see it becoming rampent throughout the fur community. I need my safespace too -___-

Activoid likes this.
  10. Randon

Randon Harbinger of Bullshenanigans

I have no problem with colors. Although occasionally it may seem that way because I draw in lead pencil for the most part and each and every time I implement a color 90% of the time its mainly red.

The main thing with colors is that you have to pair them right. Its best not to puke rainbows, its nausiating and makes everyone in the nearby vicinity want to have a seizure.

A moral I like to keep when it comes to designing characters is to keep the design simple, and if you're going to add something have a reason to do so.

For example, my dog character is a clown, I've added a mask or toy-like head with bull horns and a bullseye on the head to compliment the chaotic nature of the character and to reference party traditions such as bull fighting. I have three bandanas tied together like the clown hankerchief gag but looped around the shoulders. She is also made of toy parts to reflect her childlike mannerisms and attitude. Now you see, this all fits.

Now, rainbows and percings on a wolf just for the sake of rainbow colors and peircings is needlessly excessive for something that doesn't describe what the character does or is very well. I feel like what is expressed on the exterior should reflect at least some of the interior. Things such as body shape, head shape, eye shape should be explored a bit more. Because the way a character walks and carries themself is a telling trait. What do you think of when a character with a large and broad body frame? Maybe this character walks with drooped heavy arms that sort of drag a little. Perhaps this character is lazy. Or maybe another example, what a about a character that likes to wear mittens or socks on their hands. Maybe this character dislikes the cold, has sensitive skin, or maybe is a huge germaphobe and refuses to take them off.

But really, if somebody wants to add a peircing or any other accessory just because they like it, there is no problem with that. It doesn't have to always be symbolic and shit. I have a gold hoop in one of her horns, it wasn't that significant but I added it anyway. Just don't go adding a hundred different peircings and accessories in one sitting. Unless you happen to be going for the look of last years christmas decor that has overstayed welcome.

But with all physical traits aside, in the end the real meat of any character is their character, personallity and depth makes a character stand out from the rest.

KittenCozy likes this.
  11. Randon

Randon Harbinger of Bullshenanigans

That is true, I have seen a lot of "toxic" characters pop up here and there aswell. Actually, thats a lot like what my old fursona was like.

Along with the demon mixes, there seems to be a lot of those too.

12. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

In that case then my 'sona is a hipster 'cause it has no fur at all! Exception made for hair and hairs
    LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL

Activoid likes this.
  13. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

Bruh I have a character that is a hairless cat, to make fun of the trend that people always seem to pick beautiful or majestic animals to be their fursonas. LOL. Bless your soul for picking something hairless, friendo.

KittenCozy and Amiir like this.
  14. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

[​IMG] Hairless power!

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Activoid likes this.