Trying to backup files from OLD CD/DVD-Rs...unsuccessfully.

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by PlusThirtyOne, Sep 4, 2017.

1. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Back around 2008 i burned 50 or so DVD-Rs of self-DVR'd 90's cartoons (classic ads and all!) from a failing HDD. Adult Swim, classic Cartoon Network, Disney Afternoon and other childhood classics. Because of the recent Ducktales reboot, i wanted to watch the classic again all the way through so i whipped out my binder of cartoons and attempted to backup my episodes to a new drive.

-But Explorer won't let me.

i can watch some of the episodes straight from the DVD but the moment i attempt to copy and paste said files, Explorer hangs and crashes about 10-15 seconds into reading the disc. i have a few theories as to why this happens but i'm not too sure how to fix the issue.
    • it's almost like the read-write speed ratio is interfering with the copying process. Either the disc was written at a speed too low for my optical to read at high speed or vice-versa.
    • The DVD-Rs are undamaged but they were written on old Staples brand discs. i've heard that crappy brand CD/DVD-Rs are prone to fail after a number of years but only after just 15 or so?? Keep in mind that i can still watch the cartoons directly off the disc, so i doubt the discs are that old/worn out.
    i have the same issue with three different computers and four different optical drives, though some (much older) backup CD-Rs are unreadable altogether. My Aqua Teen Hunger Force backups are unreadable beyond the header. Explorer can show me the files list but none (or very few) of the episodes are playable, even off the disc. i'm not sure if it's a codec issue or the discs can't be read.

--- And while i'm at it...

GOOGLE iS FREAKiN' USELESS
    when it comes to tech support and questions.

Yes, Google, i KNOW HOW TO COPY AND PASTE!! That's not the goddamn issue!
    Shoving clickbaits articles in my face and showing virus-riddled tutorial sites for basic computer functions isn't going to solve my problem!

2. Water Draco

Water Draco I shal breath my fire on SPAM

CDR and DVDR disks are generally considered good for holding data for 3 years. M-disks supposedly good for 1000 years.

You may want to look for some data recovery programmes and give them a go.

3. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

Have you tried washing them with soap? I hear throwing them in the microwave for 2 minutes also work. Hell, heard drowning them in liquid nitrogen also works wonders.

I have discs that are so scraped and bruised up you'd think they don't work anymore. But they do. Without problems, too.

If I had an opportunity to directly take a look I'd hopefully be able to find out what the problems are. May be the discs, but I don't want to say anything for certain until I have more information to go on. I don't want to provide half-assed solutions based on assumptions and lack of information.

Worst case scenario, find a way to download them?

4. PlusThirtyOne

Easy on the sarcasm helpful tips there, buck-o. Keep giving it up for free and you're gonna get someone killed.

On topic: i actually found that the discs themselves are perfectly fine. My roomie's 32 bit WinXP machine can read them just fine for some reason. Not sure if it has anything to do with read/write speed, new/old optical drives or whatever... The interwebs are lacking an explanation.

Yakamaru likes this.
  5. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

Good to see the shit's solved. xD

If it's not the disks it's software. If it's not software it's hardware, but the chances of numerous different equipment having the same hardware problem may indicate a software issue that looks like a hardware issue. In this case: Your system being too new. :p

Off-topic: Your Avatar always confuse me. All three characters to me seem they go "Would you look at that!". Still cute though.

6. PlusThirtyOne

Thank you.