Under-appreciated Video Game OSTs

Discussion in 'Music and Audio' started by BlueWorrior, Oct 11, 2016.

1. BlueWorrior

BlueWorrior Subwoofer Extraordinaire

Video game music can be weird sometimes: Some games have great soundtracks but because the game in question was bad or forgotten, they can remain under-appreciated.
    So this is a thread all about such game OSTs, the hidden gems, the diamonds in the rough.
    To qualify, the game has to be obscure or rarely talked about in detail. You can pretty much rule out major Nintendo releases because the fans will pick apart every single game that happens to have "Nintendo" written on it :L
    I'll start: Gradius Advance AKA Gradius Galaxies AKA Gradius Generation (srsly -_-) Has a few really cool tracks:
    Stage 1 -

Stage 2 -

These are unfortunately are the only two standout tracks in the game, the rest are a little naff :p

Yakamaru likes this.
  2. real time strategist

real time strategist "What's an airport, again?"

star control 2 was forgotten and it had a amazing soundtrack
    (example of one of them)

advance wars is not very popular unfortunately, if you like fire emblem you would probably like this game, soundtrack is also amazing
    (no one uploads good quality versions and the extended is the only good quality version i could find)

age of mythology was, well, a RTS and unfortunately not many people like RTS's anymore but has a good soundtrack that i always use when working on stuff
    (unfortunately this guy has compressed it and you can definitely notice it if you listen enough)

act of war (direct action's soundtrack) was really forgotten and also a RTS and had a amazing soundtrack that unfortunately i cannot find the battle music anywhere on you tube

BlueWorrior likes this.
  3. scythemouse

scythemouse Not a computer peripheral

Okay. I'm going to submit a fave of mine, the soundtrack for Lords of Thunder.

PC Engine Version

Sega CD Version

The songs are the same, but the instruments are different. An unusual thing for a multi platform game that uses live instruments. Which one you like is up to you.

BlueWorrior likes this.
  4. Monstrocker

Monstrocker Pain and Suffering

When no one cares for dragon quarter :(

BlueWorrior likes this.
  5. Beatle9

Beatle9 Asexual coywolf and amateur writer.

The soundtrack to Bully:

It's the kind of soundtrack that just kind of reminds you of when you were a kid. It's hard to describe, but I love it.

nerdbat likes this.
  6. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Ys I & II Chronicles. A PSP remake of frankly outdated couple of games that are barely known outside Japan, but often cited for pushing the boundaries of video game composing (Ys was one of the first games to take advantage of CD technology just for that purpose alone). Really, I consider OST in this version one of the best I've ever heard in my life - it sounds less like a soundtrack and more like something from badass symphonic metal album, with amazing use of string instruments and some really impressive soloing. As an important note, it was composed by Yuzo Koshiro, legendary VG composer who's mostly known for his work on Streets of Rage series (another bunch of OSTs that's often considered one of the best ever by many, but that's another story), so if that name tells you something, you already know you're in for a treat. For the rest, I just recommend to give it a try, I really can't sell it enough :D

7. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

Any track in Bust a Groove
    Same goes for Twisted Metal 2 and Vigilante 8.

Earthbound - Pokey means business!
    Mother 3 - Porkys Porkies, Piggy Guys, Unfounded Revenge. I'm not making up these track titles by the way, you can look them up.
    Neverwinter Nights - Anything done by Jeremy Soule
    Zero Divide - Burning Blood, Waiting for the Sound of Thunder, Fate.

Ok, done being a hipster retro cunt now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  8. zeroslash

zeroslash WYSIWYG

Paper Mario 64

Honestly, how often do you hear a game have a unique battle theme for each boss?

9. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

10. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

The TR OST of Planetside 2

But more specifically

The brass instruments just do so well to give it that oppressive atmosphere and I love it

Iovic likes this.
  11. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Mein Gott

Emperor: Battle For Dune: Ghola

Emperor: Battle For Dune: Not An Option

Emperor: Battle For Dune: Tribute To Evil

Emperor: Battle For Dune: Harkonnen Force

Starfox: Corneria

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  12. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

The world ends with you

Soma

Firewatch

Shadow of Mordor

Psychonauts

13. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

IDK if this is underappriciated, but more people probably should know about it

14. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  15. Shane McNair

Here's another obscure and underrated game with an awesome soundtrack. Freedom Fighters, released in 2003, takes place in an alternate Cold War history where the Soviet Union didn't collapse, but only becomes even more powerful, more threatening, and eventually invades the United States. Set in New York City, the player assumes the role of Chris Stone, a plumber by trade, who is thrust into the midst of a full blown military invasion, and then finds himself in the thick of a desperate armed resistance as the leader of a rag-tag urban guerilla movement against the brutal Soviet occupation. The plot is very reminiscent of the movie Red Dawn, and features a powerful score characterized by the somber, heavy tones of Russian choir music. Performed by Jesper Kyd, the music is easily one of the game's strongest elements.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  16. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

Gary Gilbertson - Alternate Reality / The City (1985, Atari 800)

David Wise - Wizards & Warriors OST (1987, NES)

Bjørn Lynne - Fantastic Voyage OST (1991, Amiga)

Aubrey Hodges - Quest for Glory IV (1993, PC)

Kelly Bailey - Half Life I OST (1998, PC)

Magnus Pålsson - VVVVVV OST (2010, PC)
    https://youtu.be/H-baHj9N6dM?t=14m56s

Mike Morasky - Portal2 OST (2011, PC)
    www.youtube.com: Portal 2 OST Volume 1 - Technical Difficulties

Jim Guthrie - Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (2011, various)
    www.youtube.com: Sword & Sworcery's Soundtrack - Lone Star by Jim Guthrie

Rich Vreeland (aka disasterpeace) - Fez OST (2012), Hyper Light Drifter OST (2016)

17. Shane McNair

Blast from the past! I've been searching for this awesome track for years since I couldn't remember the name of the game it's from, and that bothered me to no end. But after doing some more digging I finally found it! I remember playing this game when I was a kid, 16 years ago, and I haven't played it since. But I still remembered this track, and how great I thought it was even then.

And this one wasn't bad either:

18. Beatle9

Beatle9 Asexual coywolf and amateur writer.

I'd forgotten about this one until I saw Caddicarus cover this game recently, but I'd definitely recommend the soundtrack for the old 2000 Spider-Man game on PS1.

19. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Advent Rising's OST. Particularly the track called Bounty Hunter. It's an orchestral piece with Ominous Latin Chanting, and it was the signature track used in the game's trailer.

Also, pick any early (read "pre-Advanced Warfighter") Tom Clancy title. The main themes for Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon especially set the tone of their respective games quite well.

20. GigaBit

GigaBit A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.

I just recently discovered this gem.
    It's a Rouge-like called: Heart & Slash
    And holy cow! It surprised me!
    The soundtrack is great!
    Some of my favorites:

Heart of a Valkyrie: aka One of the coolest boss themes I've heard.

I Heart You: The theme you'll be hearing the most.

City Street Funk: The main theme for the city.

Heart Vs. Slash: Slash's main theme.

Heart Attack!: The theme for the sewers.