Vacation ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GraceMcKendry, Apr 20, 2017.

1. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

So, as a sort of graduation present to myself, and to my partner who will probably be graduating at the same time as me, I want to start planning a really nice vacation. I live in Northern California as of right now, but I'm assuming we'll be returning to Southern California for a little while before we go off to grad school, giving us some time to relax.

Where would you guys recommend us going, and what kind of things should we do at said places? I'm open to any suggestions, just as long as I can figure out how to save money for the trip.

2. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

The beach is always a fun place to visit. :)

3. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

heehee I'm a Southern California native who actually used to live in a beach town. However, I actually didn't frequent the beach that much, so that might be a good idea. Maybe I'll go down to San Diego and just make a day out of it. It'll be cheap at least.

4. Lcs

Lcs Woof

To clarify, do you only want suggestions of places within California?

5. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

I am okay with going out of state, and maybe out of the country. We'd be going in about two or three years, so I'm expecting to have saved up a good amount of money.

6. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

So you are not going to come to the North West to see the solar eclipse in August?

7. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

Unfortunately no - at least not for 2017, since I'll still be in school, and the semester will have already started at that point.

8. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho. Sandpoint. Fun on a bun.

9. Jarren

Jarren Big, scaly, gun nut. Don't mind me

Do a cross country road trip and hit up a bunch of lesser known cool/historical sites along the way. More flexible than a set destination and probably more memorable.

10. Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned Member

If you do decide to go international I would definitely suggest Japan, especially the more inland mountainous regions. It was the most beautiful place that I've ever seen! Though the farther away you get from the big cities the less English people speak so it could be difficult. If you stay national Jarren's idea is definitely credible. If you are going through Nebraska on I-80 think about stopping at Pioneer Village in Minden. They have a cool collection of rare antique automobiles and a lot of other interesting things if you're into pioneer history.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

It looks beautiful! I will definitely put that on my "places to go" list.

I've always wanted to do that, actually, either up the Northwest Coast, or through the southern states.

My partner really wants to make a trip to Japan. It's totally achievable if we're smart about our money in the next couple years. If we do stay in the states, though, Nebraska sounds fun. We like cool little antique/ weird places. There's a bunch of those kinds of places along the Redwood Highway.

12. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

North Korea! No, seriously, bad vacation location..

I am not entirely sure on what to recommend for couples, to be honest. I know too little on what you like, dislike, your budget, available time, etc.

Could always do a weekend party or something, invite people over and celebrate?

13. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

You know, I would actually go to North Korea if things weren't the way they are now. That probably sounds bad...

Anyways, weekend parties are always fun, I've done a few. I'm planning on having a pretty mellow gathering with a few friends since one of them is graduating at the end of this semester.

14. PoptartPresident

PoptartPresident A teen chatter box

Some of my peers st school talk about possibly going all the way from here to port aransas after they graduate just for a beach party

Not a big fan though

15. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

Personally what I'd do for something small I'd do camping, something nationally Niagara falls, and for international I'd go to Japan or new zeland.

GraceMcKendry likes this.
  16. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

Yeah, I did a quick Google search on the place. I can see why you wouldn't be too into that. It might be fun to pass through if I do a cross-country trip.

Both Japan and New Zealand are totally on my 'to do' list. Japan more so, since my partner feels pretty strongly about going there.

17. Lcs

Lcs Woof

Outside the US, places like Costa Rica or some of the Caribbean islands (St. Lucia, the Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, Barbados... etc.) might be good options. All of these locations aren't too far away from your country and are still very pretty.

Within the US, a trip to Florida might be interesting. The Florida Keys are quite beautiful and nearby is the Everglades (be careful of alligators!). Then if you were to drive north, you could also pop into Disney World for a day, if affordable.

Within California, you could do a road trip through the major cities like San Francisco and Los Angelos with the final destination being San Diego. Alternatively, you could see the Yosemite, Redwoods and Sierra national parks.

18. biscuitfister

biscuitfister Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?

South Korea is absolutely beautiful (dont go around August and May due to military exercises makin NK go stupid) its the best place ive ever lived and reccomended everyone to go there. I mean wait for the current shit to blow over though

19. GraceMcKendry

GraceMcKendry Member

I've actually always wanted to do a semi-stereotypical tourist trip to Orlando. It's definitely on my list of things to do. I currently go to school up in the Redwoods at Humboldt State, so taking time to actually enjoy the Redwoods would be really nice, since it's so pretty. I've been to Yosemite once, but it was with a giant group of highschoolers like five years ago. I'd like to go back and enjoy the sights and sounds once more, without the drama lol All of these sound good.

I know, I would totally go to S. Korea if things weren't how they are. Same with Japan, even though that's where we really want to go.

Lcs and biscuitfister like this.
  20. biscuitfister

biscuitfister Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?

I love S. Korea so much i cant wait to go back. Its just such a beautiful place :)

Lcs likes this.