Vintage Video Gamers?

Discussion in 'PC & Console Gaming' started by Simo, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Simo

Simo Skunk

OK, I was wondering if there's anyone else here who actully likes older games better, and/or collects older consoles and games.

My mate just got a Sony Playstation One, and I have to admit, it's a lot of fun! We've been playing Oddworld, and I really like this. Also, I love the arcade games you can get for it, such as R-Type. We also have a PS2, but I don't like it as much, and how it seems to be the start of the era where there's all this babbling, breaking up the action in many games. Granted, I do love some games on it, to be sure.

We also have a Nintendo and Super Nintendo; Pocky and Rocky is my favorite game on Super Nintendo, and on the earlier one, that version of TMNT is a classic.

I have an Atari 2600 someplace, gotta dig that out.

Next, I wanna look at an early Sega console...there's a store pretty close that buys, sells and trades consoles and games, and what I love, is a lot of them are only $5 to $10, so it's not too expensive. Some can be high...I noticed Pocky and Rocky was like $100, glad I saved that one :)

Also, I'd like to build a MAME emulator, to play arcade games, that has the proper controllers: roller ball, joystick, that weighted knob that spins 360, very fast...without these, you just don't get the 'feel' of many old games. Will have to look more into making one, someday.

So, any other vintage game enthusiasts out there? I'm just starting to get into this again, and tend to like quirky games that look colorful, best : )

real time strategist likes this.
  2. Stratelier

Stratelier Active Member

Which one specifically? There were three.

3. Simo

Simo Skunk

4. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I own quite a few PC games that are scarce now (but available in digital copy). I used to own the complete MechWarrior franchise games with exception of the first one, MechWarrior (1989). The ones I still have, whic is about half, most won't run :/

5. Karatine

Karatine Call me kittteeeehhhh

Got a super Nintendo with donkey Kong country

6. KeitoTheMidnightFox

KeitoTheMidnightFox ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I have my SNES with a few games like Super Mario World, Donkey Kong (Pirate themed one I cant think of its full name) I enjoy a lot of the older games. Like FF3 (FF6) and several other classics. I still have my Sega Genesis somewhere with a few games. I still have a PS2. few my fav. games on that was Star Ocean Till the end of time, FFX/X-2 and many more. But now I mostly game on PC I have a WiiU, Xbone and PS4. But my PS4 right now is out of commission... :(

7. Sogreth

Sogreth Local Cuddle Bear and Wannabe Writer

Ahh! I loved that game! I never actually beat it yet. I'd always get near the end and start getting my arse kicked. Lol

Also, did anyone play Little Ninja Brothers? For NES. Such an amazing game.

8. Charrburn

Charrburn The Restricted Lion

My parents gave me their old NES console about a year ago and surprisingly it still works after being in our attic for years. I occasionally play some games on it but mostly Mario Bros. I can't remember what other games I've got.
    It's not like I collect it but I enjoy having such an old machine. :3

Sogreth likes this.
  9. Sogreth

Sogreth Local Cuddle Bear and Wannabe Writer

NES was so awesome. I had one for literally my entire life. My brother got one from our grandparents when he was 5 for Christmas, and I was born the March right after lol. I remember I had this Fisher Price game

Charrburn likes this.
  10. Charrburn

Charrburn The Restricted Lion

That's so cool. I wasn't even close to being born when they made the NES. XD I can't even remember why I got their old console. I think they saw me play one of the New Mario Bros games and told me about how much better the old one was. So they wanted to prove it. And yeah it is a lot harder but plays extremely well.
    I really want the NES Classic mini so I'd be able to play more games since NES games aren't that cheap here. :I But all the minis are sold out.

Sogreth likes this.
  11. real time strategist

real time strategist Active Member

Yeah I mostly prefer retro games more than modern due to the way gaming has went.

Some favorites:
    AVP2000 (wish 2 was digital, but love doing alien vs marines lan parties)

Dungeon keeper (have more nostalgia with 2, but I still really enjoy the first, it seems to have less annoying missions, but more difficult missions which I like a lot)

System shock (story, gameplay, atmosphere, and just everything is nearly perfect, and I like it a lot)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  12. Pitoux2

Pitoux2 New Member

I got a Sega Dreamcast from my brother a while back, its a pretty neat console and the few games i got for it are fun. That and a Gameboy color are about the oldest things i have right now.

13. I still game on my N64 every now and then, and also PS1 that I got sometime around early 2010s. And I have a small collection of games for both. That's about as "vintage" as I get, unless emulators count...

14. Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned Active Member

I have NES and an Atari 2600, (light sixer) though I don't have a PS1 it's still my favorite console. I spent a lot of hours on driver 2 and the original medal of honor, because there is nothing better than seeing a Velociraptor or German Shepard carrying a bazooka. I have played duck hunt and Mario on the NES (also golf, I HATE NES golf) and pacman on the Atari. I have gathered a few other games, but haven't really played them.

15. Eleven-lyc

Eleven-lyc Elder Werewolf

I'm usually a console generation behind with games. Way less expensive that way. Plus, there's usually loads of material out there that's been written about the game, as it's been around for a while.
    Nothing beats some of those old ones, though. I've kept every console I've had, starting with a Genesis / Mega Drive, and I've bought a few other retro ones over the past ten years or so, including a Sega Saturn, Mega/Sega CD, Master System, 32X, and PS2.
    Still have and play Streets of Rage for the Mega Drive / Genesis. Now that game has some proper boss music. Oh, I recently actually managed to complete Dynamite Headdy, "You've Got a Secret Bonus Point!", for the Mega Drive too. I like a lot of the music from Mega Drive / Genesis games, and I've ripped quite a lot of it to MP3.
    It also wasn't too long ago that I finally managed to complete GoldenEye, for the N64, alongside somehow managing to get all the cheats (legitimately) for it, and I've been playing that somewhat regularly ever since, speed-running it and such. I bought its "unofficial sequel" too, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye 2 if ever there was one, though that was on virtual console.
    I bought the PS2 primarily for the MGS series, which I became hooked on after an old friend of mine gave me some gameplay tapes of him going through the stories. Become quite good at MGS3 more recently, where previously I was awful; can now speed-run it reasonably well.
    Best vintage game I have though, without a doubt — Eternal Arcadia / Skies of Arcadia, a Dreamcast game. Simply awesome. I even wrote a guide on it a short while back, explaining all of the figures, calculations, formulas, and so on; always been interested in that kind of stuff. I still have the tape recordings I made of it lying around, so I can watch through it and experience it again whenever I like, without the pressure of playing it.

16. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

I mean Old Arcade games are pretty fun tbh. I like them, but not like more than modern ones

17. OakenheelTheWolf

OakenheelTheWolf Active Member

Ive got an atari.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  18. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxay Femboy Photographer

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! YUSH!!! I LOOOOOVE THE ORIGINAL PSX!!!!!!! :D:D:D

19. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

I've replayed SoR2 with my friend for years, until SoR remake came along, so nowadays we just play that (not because SoR2 is inferior, but mostly because we can beat it with our eyes closed ). SoR2 and SoR3 are ultimate multiplayer games, really - they're close to perfect in that regard, due to simplicity and accessability of controls, and very deep fighting mechanics behind it. In fact, during my college days, I've had a flash drive with Kega Fusion and Streets of Rage roms on it, and when there was nothing to do, I invited various classmates to play a stage or two with me - pretty much everybody enjoyed it and sticked to the end (or until they lost all the continues, hehe), even the folks who aren't into retro games, or video games in general. That's a real testament to quality of that series - along with the fact that it has one of the only retro videogame soundtracks that you could easily enjoy a lot without the game attached to it, because Yuzo Koshiro is a freakin' genius :D

But yeah, I've gushed a bit too much

20. Storok

Storok 670 blp

I love vintage games like "Wolfenstein: the new order" and "Sniper elite 3"