What animation or art software do you use?

Discussion in 'Art & Illustration' started by Lazysavior, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Lazysavior

Lazysavior New Member

I am going to start getting into digital art and animations and I was curious what people are using or would suggest? I like the idea behind the Ipad Pro + the app Pro Create from what I have seen on YouTube and I was wondering if anyone has used it? Is there anything comparable to use on a pc or laptop? Most of my work is done at my desktop so a mobile device like an Ipad might not be the best choice for the cost, and I am trying to find something that is better for the pc with a touchscreen monitor.

Also, Is there anything comparable to the quality of the Ipad pencil for the pc and is there something similar the Apple's app Pro Create for Windows, other then the monthly fee adobe stuff? I do not mind buying software, but I do not want a monthly fee to use it if there is another option.

I am fairly decent at drawing and art in general, so I am looking for software that would be able to do all the more complex things like creating layers, and higher resolutions for more detailed artworks. Thank you for any advice, or if there is another post similar to this would you mind linking it so I can find it.

2. Aces

Aces Member

What do you want to use your animations for? (Software/games tend to use different software than general visual media)

And may we see samples of your current work in physical media? This will allow us to suggest the best programs for your needs/preferences.

Also, here's the cheapest graphics tablet I could, in good conscience, recommend to someone: 4X3 Inches Graphic Drawing Tablet - Monoprice.com You should also look into pens that are compatible with your touchscreen computer, that offer pressure sensitivity. IMO, you're really missing out if you don't have that feature.

3. Lazysavior

Lazysavior New Member

I was looking into some free software like Blender and I think that might be what I need for the 3d and animations. Basically I want to make my fursona into a 3d sculpture that can be viewed from different angles and lighting. It is likely beyond my current skill level, but I would like to make it move around and create short animations, or movie scenes that shows my characters in it is own unique realm. It would probably take a lot of time to create it but I am also doing it as a learning process so trial and error should be okay.

I do have an older Photoshop Elements 14 I use for photographs, and it does have some artwork tools in it. However I am not sure if that is the best thing for drawing artwork since I usually only use it for photos. I might of just answered my own question, but is Photoshop Elements a good tool for art since it does seem to have the same features as Apples App Pro Create?

My artwork is not good enough to show yet :( I do plan on following some of the tutorials I have found on Youtube to make some presentable digital furry art soon.

4. Aces

Aces Member

From what I've seen, Pro Create is a relatively simple program, and similar effects can be achieved with most software in theory. Personally, I like ArtRage the best. It is technically not as powerful as other software, but if you like traditional media and are into the brush customization of Pro Create, its probably your best bet. It also has a unique way of handling wet, thick paint if you like painting impasto IRL.

As for 3D software, I'd say Blender is fine, especially if you're not into subscription stuff. It will take some learning- as with most open-source, yet powerful software, its UI is a little lower on the priority list than elsewhere, and documentation can be out of date. But if you can learn Blender, you can learn anything.

Though if you just want to play around with sculpting, I might suggest Sculptris. You can get it for free, and its a very nice 3D clay-like modeling program. If your computer isn't super powerful, though, I will warn you to watch your polycount.

5. kidchameleon

kidchameleon New Member

I use Krita for all my Raster work, it's pretty great once you get used to it - plus it's free :) ... have yet to find a decent free/affordable program that works with Vectors though =/ Not sure about programs for animation. I've heard "Pencil" is pretty good, but haven't gotten around to using it yet so can't say for sure.