What do you think of - Free Art

Discussion in 'Art & Illustration' started by Drayx, May 17, 2017.

1. Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach Taste purple

If you do a bunch of requests, you will just get some people who watch you because they think they can get some free pieces off you.

So if you're gonna do free arts, accept something that isn't just for personal sake unless you're just feeling generous. Even so, doing free art, while it seems nice of the artist, most people who commissioned the artist in the past won't like it and will feel like they're being cheated.

2. Drayx

Drayx Active Member

Hi! I gave the example of a sweatshop to question the idea of choice - But in the end we decided not to go to some moral debate. But what you're saying is interesting!

Let me get this straight - you're saying that a company or a shop that sells hundreds of portions or large quantity food per day, giving small free samples for hundreds of people in order to be familiar with their product and to further advertise themselves - IS THE SAME - as an artist working for an hour or more on a certain piece and giving it to only one person by the end of the day? You make an analogy between mass production establishment giving free samples that requires little investment and the work of a single craftsman?

3. Drayx

Drayx Active Member

I agree. A businessman-artist needs to be consistent - not to go back and forth with requests and prices. Otherwise it is not fair - and it's only logical that you'll get a world of hatred for it.

4. rocketseal

rocketseal Member

Well, yes. Because we build our portfolios and share everywhere. It's not just one person who's benefiting from the free art, but also all the people who see it.

I think your logic is too extreme. Instead of large corporations, think small local farmers markets. Even if they only have a few samples out, people who try and like them will talk about them to friends and family.

Yakamaru likes this.
  5. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

Most people who go after free art dont commission people. And they are usually selfish and dont bother spreading around your name after they get it. From my experience, its a waist of time and effort you could be using to make art for yourself or for a real client. Ffs make adoptables and let em sell over time. Free art only benefits the receiver.

Yakamaru likes this.
  6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

Do you do free art because you want to do free art and are feeling generous, or do you do free art because you basically want free advertisement for your art?

You can solve both by having people who actually genuinely appreciate free art. People who actually do appreciate free art are much more likely to promote your art at least once and put their art on their gallery, giving you passive promotion.

Free art can be beneficial for both, if the reciever actually put that shit on their gallery and/or promote the artist. I try to post all art I recieve, commissioned and free alike, in my gallery. I am not an ad company and I won't go out of my way to promote you, but I will show off the cool art I have gotten to friends and groups I am part of. Maybe even family, depending what art it is.

7. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

If somone wishes to do free art i wont stop them. But comissioned art gets all the same perks plus you get paid for your work. There really is no reason to do it unless you just spontaniously decide to give away free art. But again your time is always better spent making adoptables to sell or doing an art trade. Free art is never really a good option for anyone but the person receiving. I would respectfully have to disagree with you here :3 no hard feelins

Yakamaru likes this.
  8. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

Hahaha, no worries! I see the upsides of free art, along with the downsides.

If an artist wants to do free art, it's their perogative. But they won't get paid for it(in most cases, but can in some cases recieve a tip) for the most part, and you basically only get a bit of potential promotion and exposure.

You will lose potential exposure, but you won't lose out on income, if you don't do free art.

PencilBrain likes this.
  9. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

Yeah i can agree with potential. True.

Yakamaru likes this.
  10. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

The thing with free art is you most likely won't make any money, but you can get a decent amount of potential exposure to people who might not otherwise see your art.

It's a decent way to create a bit of a following before you go into taking commissions. Setting up a Patreon is also always a good idea.

11. Serena Elric

Serena Elric Member

It is beneficial to the person who is getting the free art but not the artist, especially if you are looking to do commissions. The people who come to you because you are giving away free art are never going to pay for it and these people who are like that don't dissever your hard work. No matter how good or bad you may think your art is, that doesn't mean you should under sell yourself, because that is what you are doing to yourself when you take requests. Now if every once in a while you want to do a raffle or an even to where you are giving a few people free art that's okay, but when you draw anything for anyone who ask for it for free that is you telling them you do not value your work.

In my personal experience with this was back when I first come to the online art community. When I found out about commissions and requests I was happy to know there were people out there who were will to pay money for my skills. But I was new and had little to show for my work so I decided to do some requests to build my gallery up and get some exposure to the public. And things went will well, at first, lots of people came for me to draw them something and I did. It felt good to hear how happy they where with my work and it gave me the confidence to start my commissions, thinking they would be willing to pay for my work once I started to charge for it. But as soon as I closed my requests and opened my commissions everyone went away. No commissioners ever come my way and I even lost some watchers. Even those who I role played with that I did art for and thought were my friends left me. I was devastated and gave up on doing art for a long time. It took me a whole year to come back to the online community and this was around the time I discovered FA and there was where I found a new style of art I really loved, furry. And some how I got the courage to try again with my commissions. So unlike Deviant art, Fur Affinity was a much better place and community for commissions as it didn't take long for me to get my first commission! It felt so great to finally fined someone who enjoyed my work enough to pay me for it. Compared to just give away my art for free it was more fulfilling to do commissions than requests, because now you have people telling me my art is worth something! That me as an artist should be proud of my work and shouldn't be afraid to ask for something in return for MY TIME AND HARD WORK!

Now if you are looking to do request to get better at drawing there are much better ways to do this. You should try to draw things that push you creative limits. Try to do things out of your comfort zone, like for me I still have trouble drawing males so every now and than I push myself to draw a male character to try to get batter at it. And remember it is quality not quantity that counts when I comes to art. If you feel your gallery is too small don't worry about it in time your gallery will grow, you can force creativity. Trust me I know its hard I have over a 100 drawing on DA and still feel like its not enough. But like I said it will grow with time and remember many of the artist who have made it big in the art community have been around for a long time. But anyway sorry this was so long but I feel very strongly about this stuff and I really gets on my nerves when people expect to get something for nothing.

12. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

I took the time to read the whole thing :3
    You were passionate enough to write it so it deserved the read. And i agree with. How you feel on this. My experience is pretty close to exactly this. Now that i commission everyone peaced out and im at square one again. So im making a brand new FA account to post art and take commissions. I hope it works out but so far not much hope. I hope you're successful too :3

Yakamaru and Serena Elric like this.
  13. Serena Elric

Serena Elric Member

Thank you I'm happy to meet someone who feels the same as me. To be honest I didn't think the first reply to be so positive and good luck to you too! ^-^

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Yakamaru and PencilBrain like this.
  14. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

:3 thanks! I think itle all work out in the end somehow

Yakamaru and Vespien_Fauhx like this.
  15. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

It really sucks that you've experienced all of that, it really does. Yeah, you might end up with some people who simply follow you for free art. This is kinda hard, if not impossible, to avoid. If they stop following/watching you when you're done with requests and start to take commissions, then they were only there for the free art in the first place. They were not true followers/watchers, and you shouldn't be worried about them leaving. Leechers are plentiful. You just need to weed them out.

It really sucks to see artists treated like this. Some people are greedy, spoiled, entitled*, some might even be snarky and outright negative about what they recieve/get, so I fully understand your point of view and experience. It's not pleasant to hear about this, no matter how many times I hear it. A decent amount of people are outright shitty. Same goes for artists. If you act spoiled, as if you are entitled* to being commissioned, you are doing something wrong. If something is rotten, it may affect all parties, and should be corrected.

* = I fucking hate this word. No one is entitled to anything, ever. Though won't stop some people acting/behaving like it they are. It's cancer.

A decent amount of people simply don't have the money to go around when it comes to buying commissions. They might've commissioned someone else, your prices may be too high, they may have a limited budget and want to choose carefully, your artstyle may not be what they are looking for, art quality, they prefer someone elses art over yours, +++. There's a plethora of reasons on why you may not be commissioned by someone.

Like with a lot of other things, free art has both pros and cons. Some people experience more of the cons, while others more of the pros. It's often about your audience and how you as an artist are. There's a LOT of different major and minor factors that decide on whether or not an artist will be commissioned. Some of the pros are wider exposure and potential future commissioners. Some of the cons are zero income, potential leechers and people who may not show off your art if they recieve it.

But keep this in mind: If it weren't for the fact that someone(asokarie) went out of their way to draw Drake as a kind and friendly gesture, I wouldn't be getting commissions from other artists in the first place. I won't speak for anyone but myself and my own situation, obviously. If or when I recieve free art I will do my best to promote the artist, through sharing on for instance Discord and posting the art on FA. Hell, even if it's commissioned art I show it off on Discord and other locations. The people I commission and/or recieve free art from deserve the exposure, even if it's only one other person.

Oh yeah.. Do you have a Patreon set up?

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    PencilBrain likes this.
  16. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

This is going to sound a bit.... Cocky.
    Im a self depricating person.
    Especially with my art.
    Its never good enough.
    However i am artisticly inclined enough to know when my art has hit a certain quality level.
    Free art i would say has its place.
    Beginner/ amature artists may be more inclined to do free art.
    Lets not sugar coat it.
    When you start off you're not very good. It takes a few years to get to comission ready quality "in my opinion".
    Im at the point where giving away art feels like giving away money.
    Because my skills as an artist have become valuable.
    So i think theres a scale.
    Like from ms paint doodles all the way to tokifuji.
    And once you hit the mark where you feel you could sell it to the public, thats when its time to stop giving your hard earned skill away like its candy at a 1990s santa clause parade.

Serena Elric, Activoid and Yakamaru like this.
  17. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

I think offering free art is a nice gesture that is entirely up to the artist. It can generate instant publicity (though usually temporary, unless you keep it up for a long time), and give you a great opportunity to practice drawing things you wouldn't normally draw yourself. It can push you outside of your comfort zone, which is a good thing that will absolutely help you grow as an artist, no matter what skill level you're at.

Personally, I don't do free art anymore just because I'm too busy with paid art. But if you want an opportunity to build your portfolio and practice a lot with prompts, while simultaneously making a lot of people happy, then go for it. I honestly can't think of any drawbacks, just be sure to not overwork yourself and make sure you have only a limited set of slots so that you don't end up with like 20 requests. And be sure to write them down and complete them in order if you do. <_>

18. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

As for whether or not someone should request free art, that's a different story. If you're a professional, had lots of schooling, or spent a lifetime building your skill, or want to take it seriously in the future, then charge someone money if they ask for free shit from you. If you are desirable enough for someone to actually ask you to make something for them, and YOU take yourself seriously as well, charge them money for it. Because you're a professional, or at least a professional-to-be.

If it's just a hobby and you don't really care about either money or pursuing art as a career, that's up to you to say yes or no. Depends on your mood or workload at the time, I guess. Whether or not you should offer free art if someone asks? Really boils down to knowing exactly how much you, your time, and your skills are worth. If those things aren't worth anything to you, then that's your business.

19. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

I feel like drawing for free is a double edged sword. Yes it gives you practice but then people expect you to draw them for free or they will just wait until you draw for free. It really De-values your work.

20. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

From my experience, the people who i gave free art to never commissioned me after i stopped with the charity stuff.

Yvvki and Activoid like this.