What is a game you love but everyone else hates?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Gaming' started by BasilClover, Jun 21, 2017.

1. BasilClover

BasilClover Guest

Piggybacking off of @Beatle9 for me The Urbz (The sims but with very consistent objectives, individual levels, and dope minigames?) Spore, It was overhyped but I love it. Dragon age 2, while not as good as origins had great story. Metal Gear Solid 2, Fable 2, L.A Noire.

2. Beatle9

Beatle9 Asexual coywolf and amateur writer.

*Slowly pokes head around the corner* Here I am!

I know people like to shit on Heavy Rain, but I still like that game. Yeah it's got plenty of flaws, and I don't think it warranted all the 9's and 10's that it got at release, but I don't think it deserves the "worst writing ever" or "not a game" or the other things people have thrown its way.

Another game I know is almost universally hated is Gone Home. I just thought the story was interesting enough to keep me playing, and the house was pretty atmospheric, with it being pretty unnerving being home alone in this big mansion.

3. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

ahhh, Drawn to life was apparently shit but I really loved the whole "insert thing you drew here" aspect. And I was a dumb kid so whatever basic ass platforming there was, I really liked it a lot.

There was also this neopets game on PS2 I liked, never finished it but it was cool since you played an anthro kid loupe knight and I miss it, wish I had played it more.

...Assassin's creed is apparently lame but I love it way too much.

4. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Beatle9 likes this.
  5. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Yooka-Laylee I like it solely for nostalgia reasons, and I see its glaring flaws but love it anyway.
    On the flip side most reviewers are extremely hostile towards it :(

BasilClover and Beatle9 like this.
  6. Beatle9

I was thinking more of:
    [​IMG]
    But that works too.

WolfNightV4X1 likes this.
  7. ilexdusk

ilexdusk Stinky but Kawaii ;3

Both good games IMO. Norman Jayden is senpai af. <3

I liked [Prototype] a lot but no one else seemed to.... I mean I played it again when the bundle came out.. I mean the story is kinda lame-ish but I'm still about that life. I can't think of another game rn.. But that's all I got for nowwww.

8. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Not exactly "hated" per se, but every time i tell people i still love and play classic DOOM over modern AAA titles, i get shit for it.

9. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

10. PlusThirtyOne

The only real problem gamers had with GTA4 was the protagonist, Niko's, motives. The story was deep and his struggle was very human. The problem, however, was that typical GTA players like to go batshit bonkers and destroy anything that moves. They steal random cars, plow through crowds of people, wreck their wheels and shoot up city streets with rockets in the name of entertainment. Then the players start a main story mission and a scene plays out where Niko starts choking back tears while recalling memories from the war. He shows remorse, he shows empathy, she regrets his past and wants to change. -Which flies in the face of what he may have been doing just seconds prior!
    Niko shows much more agency in cutscenes than what most gamers gave him as an avatar. Gamers' inability to separate the two was what killed the narrative for some. it's a damn shame too because the story is seriously deep. i LOVED it! ...but i also didn't play the game like a lunatic either on my first run. i like to emote and play a role in my games so i had no trouble, but i also understood that my actions were mine; not necessarily Niko's.

Amiir likes this.
  11. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

I love Niko, he's one of my favourite vidya characters. Thank GOD they didn't touch him in GTA V: after seeing what they did to Johnny Klebitz I'm happy they didn't let Niko do a cameo. Killing off one of your protagonists in such an undignified way, Rock$tar? Seriously? Speaking of GTA V, it's one of those games everyone loves but that I hate. Screw that piece of overrated, microtransaction riddled garbage

Also, yeah, I absolutely see the point of your statement. ''Ludonarrative dissonance'' some people fancifully call it

12. -Praydeth-

-Praydeth- The Trickster coyote.

[​IMG]

DESTINY
    I have never put so much time into a game before. I have clogged in over 3000 hours & I barely regret any of it.

No matter what anyone says about destiny, my love for it & memories from playing it will not be changed.

• The times I have cried from laughter.
      • The times people have thanked me just for being able to have moments of happiness while being a distraction from what weighs them down.
      • The moments where I have fucked over a entire team.
      • The moments where I have saved my team by just barely managing to get something done right.
      • The times I finally got that one weapon I have been working so hard to get & seeing the jealousy of everyone who didn't also have it.
    I'm not one to wish those moments away because I loved them all!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  13. real time strategist

real time strategist "What's an airport, again?"

Spore: used to play it all the time and I only found out about it when we got the game when I was young so I never had any hype, sadly I don't have the disc anymore.

Fable: apparently people don't like this game, well I like all of them even if 3 wasn't as good as 2 or 1.

Wow this list is much shorter than the hate but everyone else loves, not sure if that's good or bad.

14. Norros

Norros Guest

Watch dogs.

I really understand why people hate this game, but I like it, despite stupid plot, dialogues and car physics.

Beatle9 likes this.
  15. TheConk

TheConk Want a Shiba In-u?

I know a lot of people were sort of disappointed with fallout 4 but it's honestly one of my favorite installments. I know the voice actors for the main characters took away from the funny quirky writing but I liked them personally. And the amount of joinable factions and their huge influence within the game made me very happy. The allowance of mods on console was awesome too!

Beatle9 likes this.
  16. Beatle9

Same here, maybe it's just because it's the only Fallout game I've played, but I've really enjoyed it for the most part.

17. noxnogatabah

noxnogatabah New Member

I have a confession to make...I like Evil Zone.

It's not a fantastic game, but I like the really ham-and-cheese English voice acting and 90's anime kitsch quality.
    I remember Retsupurae did a couple of hilarious videos on this game years ago.

18. McStuffy

McStuffy New Member

Final Fantasy XIII, I'm not so big on XIII-2 or Lightning Returns but the original was great.
    I personally like the game for its tremendous story, stunning visuals, and amazing characters.

It was pretty linear compared to most titles in the series but I can't say that bothered me much. The world map became more open near the end of the game and the battle system was solid and entertaining. It wasn't a buggy mess and it played very well through the entire time I played.

Overall, not a bad game from Square Enix.

19. SSaudiicsitdiec

SSaudiicsitdiec New Member

Old school runescape. The biggest reason why I play it is for the nostalgia factor. Anyone I have tried to get into the game was instantly turned off because of how much you have to grind to get to the "fun" part of the game.

Lamipelt likes this.
  20. Lamipelt

Lamipelt Chillin Insomniac

SAME, i've played old school runescape since elementary and still enjoy logging on and leveling some skills every now and then even though im 20.

SSaudiicsitdiec likes this.
  21. Mopesters

Mopesters New Member

Metroid Prime: Federation Force....it gets tons of hate, but I think it deserves it's place in the Metroid Universe.

22. SSaudiicsitdiec

SSaudiicsitdiec New Member

same for me dude, started when i was 6, took a huge break, came back a year ago

Lamipelt likes this.
  23. Iovic

Iovic Member

Dwarf Fortress. Most people I know don't like it because of the near vertical difficulty curve and confusing UI.

real time strategist likes this.
  24. PlusThirtyOne

Also, Zelda2. Recently it's gotten a bit more love but a few years ago, standing up for Zelda2 would get you hanged by an NES controller. i really don't understand the hate. Sure, it may be the black sheep of Zelda titles but at the time of its release, there was no "formula" from which to base the gameplay and nobody had even made a multi-genre game like it. it's my favorite Zelda after BotW!!

25. real time strategist

real time strategist "What's an airport, again?"

Yeah it's a game you got to know it's going to be good after the difficulty curve to try and learn, it's really overwhelming at first which turns alot of people away, but it's not that hard to learn it just takes a while.