What is Your Ancestry?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shane McNair, May 3, 2017.

1. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted Arwing pilot

On my Dad's side I'm primarily German and Irish. I don't really know anything about my German heritage, but I do know that my Irish great-grandmother was either from County Cork or County Mayo. She came to America some time in the late 1800's. I think my paternal grandmother had some French lineage. My paternal grandparents were originally from Illinois and moved out west in the 1930s, and our family has been here ever since.

My mother is originally from Colombia, and came to this country with my half-sister about 33 years ago. Her lineage is Spanish and possibly some Italian. Both of them speak fluent Spanish as well as English. I speak some Spanish myself, although I'm not fluent.

Where do your families hail from?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Ravofox likes this.
  2. msgrandpabacon

msgrandpabacon Active Member

America.... The United States variety.
    I am the epitome of white trash.
    Whenever I had to ask my parents about our lineage they would look at me and say "basically every white part of Europe."
    The end.

3. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

Fucking vikings!

< White, Norwegian and fucking proud of his viking ancestry!

AustinB, Alstren, Ravofox and 2 others like this.
  4. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

My dad is french-irish and his family immigrated from Canada to the US a loooong time ago. My mom is Filipino, but I've never really met her. Granted, she lived with my dad and I until she fucked off when I was six moths old, so the better terminology is "I don't remember her."

5. perkele

perkele Active Member

French on my father's side, Japanese on my mother's side.

6. Shane McNair

Right on!

7. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Irish, Welch and German, with a bit of Scotch thrown in.

8. Ravofox

Ravofox And a few other fursonas as well

Any pilgrim ancestors by any chance?:p

As for me, I'm mostly English, Irish and Scottish, with some distant German and apparently Spanish (both 17th century or earlier!)

9. FluffyShutterbug

Nope. My mum's side came here during the potato famine (Irish side) and a little after the turn of the century, to seek a more prosperous life (Welch side). My dad's side (German) came to America after Germany was destroyed at the end of WWII. And um, a shameful family secret: My grandpa on my dad's side (who died of natural causes back in 1969, that's Nineteen Sixty-Nine.) was an SS officer.

Ravofox likes this.
  10. Ravofox

Ravofox And a few other fursonas as well

Dang! Well, I know most New Englanders aren't descended from the earliest European settlers, but it was worth a try:)
    Most of my family probably came over in the famine, we don't know but it can be deduced from the fact they came around the mid 1840s. One of my ancestors was a convict however, named Francis Greenway (he was kind of famous:D ~ not bragging!)

I think most German families had someone in the SS, it was a very large organisation. I understand how it may be something of a burden, though. Hey, my grandpa (who I also never knew - died 1980) was an Australian POW from the battle of Crete. I guess this shows how all encompassing that war was.

11. FluffyShutterbug

They didn't call it WORLD War II for nothing. :p

Ravofox likes this.
  12. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

My dad's from Germany, next to no family records from before the turn of the last century (Allied bombers do terrible things to German records offices).
    My mother was born to a pair of Italian immigrants and it's easy to lose track of our extended family on that side. My great uncle on that side immigrated to the US before the rest of the family, but went BACK to Italy during the first world war to fight the Austrians.
    My grandfather on my dad's side was pressed into service with them to publish propaganda/armed forces circulars (He was a writer of some success at the time, so I guess they found him valuable). Once he died in the early sixties, my grandmother (Who had supposedly been a fairly devoted party member) married a Jewish man. History has an odd sense of humor.

Yakamaru, Shane McNair and Ravofox like this.
  13. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Mutt. Ima mutt.

LycanTheory and Ravofox like this.
  14. Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned Active Member

Well there has been someone in America with my surname since 1632 when they immigrated from England and one of my great grandmothers immigrated in 1926 from Germany. Then there is the side of the family whose name is so common that we really don't know much about them. Though my great great grandfather came out west in the 1880's.

15. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Vikings, Vandals, Huns, Goths, Celtic/Pict, Russian, Italian, French, Native American. I would not rule out North African, Western African, Greek and Catalan, either. Need to do an Ancestry genome test to get the low-down.

Yeah, mutt.

Ravofox likes this.
  16. Surreal Mentality

Surreal Mentality Subaru goes BWAAAAPSSSSHHHHH

Pure Scott German fury. Am I genetically predispositioned to be an alcoholic?

17. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

My father is Mi'kmaq and Chippewa
    Mother is Acadien and Blackfoot
    And then the older people all range from Irish and Scottish to French, various native tribes and Acadien

I am pleased to announce that we do not have any Quebecois in our blood though

18. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Maximor_Bloodpanda The True Anti-Conformist

Irish, Hungarian, Mexican (Native), and Spanish.

That's my ancestry, not that it is supposed to matter or change anything, although the possibility of the Mexican native side being Aztec might explain my love for carnage. I love it, not just one background (like all the boring purebreds/inbreds in this world), plus I got all the good genes and love the way I turned out.

19. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

White mutt, through and through.

On my father's side, Ashkenazi, specifically a mix of Austrian, Russian, Lithuanian, Polish and Dutch. The Dutch part is an interesting one: We can trace my grandfather's family back to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 17th century, but the name is clearly from the Netherlands; given the time that it begins showing up in the Polish records, we suspect that they fled to Lithuania during the Reformation when Jew-murder became popular sport in that part of Europe.

On my mom's side, mostly German and Welsh, with some Northern English, Irish, Scots and French for good measure. The better part of the Welsh side of my family has been here since at least 1701, having come over with William Penn to settle the Welsh Tract, while the Deutsch have been here since... slightly later?

Fun fact: Both sides of my family got a lot of shit for being German during WWI. My dad's maternal grandfather, who was the aforementioned Austrian, actually changed his name from Schwanenfeld to Swann for a while just to not get harassed. Conversely, my mother's paternal grandmother was a bit hapless, having been saddled with the surname Mangel. Yes, really.

20. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

That's funny OP my mom is also Columbian, she came over to the US at 13 or something. I mostly understand Spanish but I can speak broken sentences and such. She's pretty much full-blooded Columbiana which makes me half-columbian in heritage.

My dad's side on the other hand is a bit more americanized. My grandfather is German, I think his (my grandfather's) father or the one before that was the one who came to America. My grandmother is Irish ancestry from I dont know how far back. But I mean both are pretty much American, though.

What do non-Americans even say about their ancestry? I mean Yakamaru has viking heritage but what else do they say? That's always something Ive been curious about since America is a mixing pot people have heritage from this and this and that do non-Americans talk about ethnic heritage like Americans do?

21. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

Polish, german, and french

22. Shane McNair

I've had quite a bit of exposure to Colombian culture throughout my life. I even had the opportunity to fly down there for a vacation 10 years ago, which was way cool. I really need to improve on my Spanish, though. I'm pretty good at reading it, but my Spanish vocabulary is lacking and I only somewhat understand spoken Spanish.

Having pure viking heritage is pretty badass, in and of itself, though.

WolfNightV4X1 likes this.
  23. Simo

Simo Skunk

1/2 Sicilian, then Polish/Finnish.

24. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

My people use to eat other people, that's all I know.

25. Raven-Foxx

Raven-Foxx Animal Artist

I'm part British, Irish, Native American, and African American.