What Kind of Music Do You Play, and Why?

Discussion in 'Music & Audio' started by Mandragoras, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

There's probably some ancient thread with a similar premise, but thread necromancy is generally ill-advised and I kind of want to take a different angle with this than is typical.

See, I'm curious what sort of music you folks play, but I also think it would be neat for us all to discuss *why* we play the kind of music that we do. One only occasionally hears about how technical limitations and opportunities can shape the way that an artist expresses themselves, for instance; and it's always interesting to compare and contrast the sort of music a person makes and what they listen to on their own time.

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

What music I play? Almost everything. Depends on what I wanna listen to and when.

Been listening to a lot of Eurobeat recently though. I often turn off ingame sounds and fire up EastNewSound, Zytokine or one of my Eurobeat playlists.

As for why: I simply want to listen to it.

3. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Incredibly Customized Title

Traditional Irish all the way! It just speaks to me, I guess. It helps cheer me up on those real shitty days. I don't mind a little trance or classic rock every now and then...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

I play rock guitar and heavy metal cause i'm sick of seeing people use technology to make their music

5. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Incredibly Customized Title

Amen to that! Back in the day people actually had to have skill to make good music... not just a computer.

6. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

Ya I just see the entertainment industry and most human life in general get sucked into technology.
    I always feel I'm living for lost arts. Oh well, oh by the way starting bands now are like near impossible lol

7. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

chillstep or electroswing cause one makes me relax and the other makes me feel happy energetic

xaliceonfire likes this.
  8. Cloudyhue

Cloudyhue Certified Fuzzbutt

I used to play the viola for two years in middle school. I sucked, but it was fun to perform in concerts with my friends.

9. Mandragoras

Making decent music with electronics is about as difficult as making decent acoustic or traditional electric music, in my experience, if not more so; it simply requires an entirely different set of skills beyond the basics of melody, rhythm and timbre. But that's the thing: It's very easy to make mediocre music, no matter the instruments or tech you use. Bars of entry for technical competence vary with different genres and styles, but the amount of effort, panache, or just raw talent required to make something forgettable and typical is always going to be fairly low. And you'll always start out making music which is either technically or creatively inadequate on some level due to simple inexperience. All music is a learning curve.

Nosta and xaliceonfire like this.
  10. heteroclite

heteroclite I hate you.

Well, I play my own weird style, with electric guitars and cellos and saxophones!
    My sister and I listen to a lot of Lois Armstrong, and we write songs about him.

11. Mandragoras

This sounds intriguing.

heteroclite likes this.
  12. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

Pretty much listen to everything. Recently, been listening to EDM metal.

13. tuan_tr1910

tuan_tr1910 New Member

Deep house . Why? Look at below :D:D:D

[​IMG]

Nosta likes this.
  14. Mandragoras

That's about as good a reason to make deep house as any, although I thought the typical stoner genres were heavy psychedelia and dub.

15. KeitoTheMidnightFox

KeitoTheMidnightFox Keito of the night

Depends for me. If I am spinning/DJ'ing I play House music a lot. And venture into heavy stuff like dubstep, Hybrid Trap, etc. Music Production wise I usually do what ever. I am still learning on how to create music so the specific genre I am good at is still somewhere lol

16. Mandragoras

I suggest just ignoring genre entirely and putting together sounds that feel right and make you happy. You're probably doing that already, but I've seen too many people buy into the idea that you need to work in a specific style and get good at that to succeed rather than develop an independent voice.

KeitoTheMidnightFox likes this.